daddy?...

Old July 25th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default daddy?...

Sherry wrote:

But, OTOH, it's the *perfect* way to enjoy kittens, without the
longterm responsibility of owning them.

It's also a great way to see kittens grow up from birth, without
the responsibility of hand-feeding them! (Better for them, too.)

I have done this before. Not as a foster - at least, not as part of
an official rescue organization. My sister had a mother cat who had
just given birth, and my dad was going to have them all sent to the
animal shelter (!!). So sis called me and said I had to take them,
or else! So what could I do? Fortunately, my severely allergic
roommate had just moved out about 2 weeks earlier, and I was in the
apartment by myself. So who was going to tell me I couldn't take them?
(It was a slum apartment with rather distant landlords, who didn't
care whether I had pets or not.)

It was fun!! The kittens were about 2 or 3 days old when I got the
bunch. I got to see them before they opened their eyes. They went
through all the cute baby stages (jumping sideways, their ears going
from round to pointy, racing like maniacs around the apartment, etc).
I ended up bonding with one of the kittens, plus the mom, so I kept
those two and found homes for the two other kittens.

I would love to have another experience like that one, but I think
my 3 would mutiny.

Joyce
Old July 26th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Doesn't stop them treating Splodge as Daddy, though. After first
trying him out as a milk bar they figured out that wasn't going to
work. So Courtney has been trying a different tack. She just went
up to him and tried to wash his chin, whereupon he groomed her ears
for a bit. Then she rolled over on her back beside him showing off
her tummy and purring (I didn't know kittens could purr that young).

Splodge seems besotted. If she was human she'd have got Daddy to
buy her a pink iPod by now.

LOL, what a little sweetheart. He is a good uncle.
I have heard baby kittens purring from 2 weeks of age. I have four CP
foster kittens here with their mum at the moment - born in a back
garden, though mum is extremely friendly, a young tabby girl. She has 3
tabby and one black kitten. They are a little timid and hissy but
becoming better every day, and all have already got homes waiting for
them - the mum with her two sons to one, and the two tabby girls to
another. It is good to be fostering again, after a long absence for
various reasons.

I had one purr, its eyes were still closed and it had no teeth (I'd had him
for 24 hours, and he was about that old when I got him) - but that full
belly felt good (especially after that massive ittybittybelch), so he
purred!

Old July 26th 07, 11:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

I had one purr, its eyes were still closed and it had no teeth (I'd had him
for 24 hours, and he was about that old when I got him) - but that full
belly felt good (especially after that massive ittybittybelch), so he
purred!

:-)))))

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old July 27th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message

Eshne is a very good mum, and I am lucky to now have a spare room where
they can all be, away from my own 4 and Daisy-dog.

Daisy-dog! Yay! I'm so glad you still have her. Last time we spoke on
this you were having some behavioural problems with her and were thinking of
giving her back.
How is she fitting in now? Did she stop challenging you once you realised
it was okay to challenge *her* cheeky little madam ;-)
Your transition from cat to dog was probably as.. erm.. I can't think of the
exact word I need;-)..as my transition from dog to cat.
Suffice to say it's a challenge, a big learning curve both ways.

Tweed

Old July 28th 07, 07:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Default Daisy (long)

Christina Websell wrote:

Daisy-dog! Yay! I'm so glad you still have her. Last time we spoke on
this you were having some behavioural problems with her and were thinking of
giving her back.
How is she fitting in now? Did she stop challenging you once you realised
it was okay to challenge *her* cheeky little madam ;-)
Your transition from cat to dog was probably as.. erm.. I can't think of the
exact word I need;-)..as my transition from dog to cat.
Suffice to say it's a challenge, a big learning curve both ways.

Oh yes - we still have her! I'm very sorry I didn't reply to your last
email a while ago. Things have been extremely busy here for a few
months. Many non-work emails got left unanswered a long time.... :-/

It has been a *huge* learning curve, and we have had to learn a lot
about dog behaviours! So totally different from cats. It would be
dishonest if I didn't say that several times we did wonder if we'd done
the best thing. Taking on a rescue dog with unknown history age, or
health issues, with no experience! But - how could we let her go, and
not know what might happen to her? The only real reason I would have had
to let her go again is if she showed aggression to the cats, and she has
never done that. Quite the opposite!

She does not challenge us at all now and is a very good dog with us, and
with anyone who comes to the house or we meet outdoors. She loves
contact and although we don't let her on the sofa or bed, she will
cuddle right up to you if you get down to her level and sit on the
floor. What is so sad is that she has plainly been hit and scolded a lot
in her former life. If you move your hand too quickly towards her head,
she will flinch, and if she has been sick, she goes to her bed and looks
very very worried and anxious, ears right down and sad eyes, as if she
has done a bad thing for being sick. It is so sad. Of course we would
never scold her for being sick, but someone must have done in the past.

Daisy has not been a very well dog at all - she had to have two skin
tumours removed, one of which was malignant, she has had Campylobacter
(bacterial gut infection) since she arrived and two of the three courses
of treatment violently disagreed with her, and it has taken us nearly
all the time until now to find a diet that didn't cause her sickness and
diarrhoea, despite trying top quality foods. Finally got her settled
with Forthglade (additive/preservative-free fresh cooked meat, vacuum
sealed) together with Arden Grange dry food as recommended by our police
dog handler former neighbour. Even so she is sick about once a week for
no apparent reason, so we fast her for 12 hours if this happens.

She also has early cataracts in her eyes as she is not 3-4 as we were
told, but 8-9 years old. Also, her previous 'owners' did not get her
spayed, so she came into season about a month ago! All this in the first
4 months of having her here. I am so glad that I got her on the pet
insurance within 2 weeks of getting her, as otherwise we'd have spent
the best part of £1000 on vet treatment on her already - I don't
begrudge her that in any way, but it's a big ask for an unknown new pet
which you were told was going to be fully vet-checked and healthy before
coming here. Our CPL foster cats are fully healthy and checked,
vaccinated, microchipped and spayed if old enough *before* homing, and
CP would have paid for treatment that became necessary so soon after
taking on the rescue pet. Not so from the council dog pound.

Despite all that, the plus things are that she is a lovely dog, and is
now responding to her name, finally, and she is able to be walked off
the lead in the woods next to our house, which she loves and she has a
little run and a leap over fallen logs, etc. She does nothing except
smell everything during the whole walk. Not interested in balls, sticks,
no thanks. She does love to play tugging games with her rope toy or bone
toy which is fun and she is a hilarious tease. If you ignore her and
don't reach for the rope toy she is holding, she comes nearer and nearer
with it until it's pressing up against your knee, impatient for you to
play the game! If you still don't play, she drops it on your foot.

She is great with the cats. Merlin is best friends with her and she
loves it when he comes into the room, and watches very keenly if he
jumps onto a tabletop, as if it's the most exciting thing she has seen.
He miaows all the time. Possibly a combination of steeled nerves and
greeting. She will play-bow and present him with her chew toy but he
ignores her, of course. He will head-butt her and walk underneath her
and let her smell him all over which is so nice to see. Willow and
Bracken will just about walk past her indoors, but are better in the
garden and let her come up to them. Cocoa has a vendetta against her,
but that's par for the course as that applies to everyone.

She also barks in her sleep which is so funny! Lots of paw twitching and
huffling, then muffled woofs through her closed mouth, making her cheeks
puff out each time. Quite fast asleep. It is so funny.

We took Daisy with us for a long weekend in Cornwall last month. She was
so good in the car and with pit stops every couple of hours, was a good
traveller. When we took her on the beach and waded in, she came with us
but it was obvious she couldn't see the point of getting wet, and stood
up to her elbows in the water looking a bit confused, until we came back
out! We hoped she might enjoy a swim like our friends' dog Denzil (a
lovely Lab) but no chance!

I've put some photos up on the web if you'd like to see how she's doing:

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...deb/Daisy-dog/

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old July 28th 07, 08:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

(Debbie Wilson) wrote:
I've put some photos up on the web if you'd like to see how she's doing:

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...deb/Daisy-dog/

I like her room with that neat cat-permeable gate and nice 206 bone
doggie toy. She and Merlin are very sweet together. What soulful
eyes some dogs have.

Old July 28th 07, 09:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Takayuki wrote:

I like her room with that neat cat-permeable gate and nice 206 bone
doggie toy. She and Merlin are very sweet together. What soulful
eyes some dogs have.

Thank you! It's actually our studio, and is due for a revamp and a move
downstairs to a bigger, redecorated room shortly :-) We adapted a wooden
child gate to make a cat-sized gap to encourage them to come in and out.
Then we had to put a bar across the gap halfway down as we found it was
a Daisy-sized gap as well :-)
If the other cats were more relaxed with her, we'd probably give her the
run of most of the house, but they aren't so we thought it was fairer to
them not to feel harassed in their own home. Daisy has us in the room
with her most of the day and evening, plus 3 walks a day, so I don't
think she's hard-done by. I hope not, anyway. She does give us big brown
soulful eyes quite often - she invented the phrase 'puppy-dog eyes'!

I just realised what you meant about the 206 bone toy, heh :-))) That's
Napoleon, our model. Definitely NO chewing on him!

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old July 28th 07, 11:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Debbie Wilson wrote:
snip
I've put some photos up on the web if you'd like to see how she's
doing:

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...deb/Daisy-dog/

Deb.

Lovely set of pictures, she's a very sweet looking dog.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old July 28th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message

I've put some photos up on the web if you'd like to see how
she's doing:

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...deb/Daisy-dog/

What a beauty Daisy is. Thank you for taking her on. We're
still dealing with Speedy having been abused before we got her,
and it is not a picnic. Even though the Speedster's reaction is
fairly mild, it just breaks my heart to see him cowering when a
strange male comes into the house. What's funny is that he
really is protective of Amanda and will watch any new male around
her to make sure that she isn't threatened. I'm so glad that the
two of them have adopted each other. I used to worry about a
mixed cat/d-thing house, but now I wouldn't have it any other
way.

Pam S.

Old July 29th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Debbie Wilson wrote:

[...]

What a cute doggie! I'm so sorry to hear she was mistreated before, but
you are making up for it by taking such good care of her. She really
could not have found a better home than yours.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

daddy oh daddy! Freight Train Jones Cat health & behaviour 14 April 4th 06 12:40 PM
I am a bad daddy Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \) Cat anecdotes 3 March 17th 06 11:14 PM
I'm a bad daddy Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 7 May 21st 05 01:01 AM
Thank you Daddy Bob M Cat anecdotes 7 December 12th 04 07:41 AM
More Daddy, More O J Cat anecdotes 18 June 5th 04 04:55 AM