Fire Alarm

Old February 5th 05, 05:42 PM
W. Leong

Default Fire Alarm

The other night the fire alarm of my building went off after midnight.
My cat Rusty was sleeping but he stayed calm. I was still up and quickly put
on my coat and put him in a lightweight carrier.
He stayed calm and quiet and we took the long way down the
stairs as I live on the 15th floor of a highrise building.
Good thing Rusty only weighs 8 lb. He remained quiet in the carrier
throughout. The firemen came and checked things out.
Guess it was another false alarm as I didn't see any smoke or fire.
Afterwards we took the elevator back upstairs. I wasn't going to
take Rusty back up the stairs. He got a treat for his good behaviour.
Wish he behaves like this when I take him to the vet. Maybe I should
switch to this carrier instead of the more sturdy but heavier carrier.
He probably associates the heavycarrier with vet trips even though
he sleep in it.

I saw other people in the building took their dogs downstairs. But
I don't see any cat. Wonder whether the cat owners didn't bother
leaving home or just went downstairs without their cats.
I always take Rusty with me just in case.

--
Winnie

Old February 5th 05, 09:02 PM
Cheryl

On Sat 05 Feb 2005 12:42:17p, W. Leong wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
m):

The other night the fire alarm of my building went off after
midnight.

How scary Winnie! I'm glad it was a false alarm, but you seem to have
a good exit strategy and that is soooo important. Purrs for Rusty and
you for your ordeal.

--
Cheryl
Old February 5th 05, 09:08 PM
Cheryl

On Sat 05 Feb 2005 01:11:22p, Karen Chuplis wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

That's my one fear. Seems like you have a good chance getting
one cat out, but three. Pearl wouldn't hide so might be easy but
Sugar and Grant would hide immediately

That's my big fear too. Shamrock and the kittens I could get, but
Bonnie, no way. A few times we had to go through the tornado warning
routine, and it worked out, but now with 2 more cats I'm not so sure.
Plus, tornado means going to a low spot in your house. Fire means
getting out. I'm going to have to rethink this and find a new
strategy for fires.

--
Cheryl
Old February 5th 05, 09:31 PM
jmcquown

Cheryl wrote:
On Sat 05 Feb 2005 01:11:22p, Karen Chuplis wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

That's my one fear. Seems like you have a good chance getting
one cat out, but three. Pearl wouldn't hide so might be easy but
Sugar and Grant would hide immediately

That's my big fear too. Shamrock and the kittens I could get, but
Bonnie, no way. A few times we had to go through the tornado warning
routine, and it worked out, but now with 2 more cats I'm not so sure.
Plus, tornado means going to a low spot in your house. Fire means
getting out. I'm going to have to rethink this and find a new
strategy for fires.

I've said it befo I have stickers on my doors stating "In case of Fire
please rescue __ Cat(s)." At least if you can't get them out, the fire
crews will know there are pets inside.

Jill

Old February 5th 05, 09:32 PM
jmcquown

W. Leong wrote:
The other night the fire alarm of my building went off after midnight.
My cat Rusty was sleeping but he stayed calm. I was still up and
quickly put on my coat and put him in a lightweight carrier.

How scary, Winnie! Gosh, glad it was a false alarm and that Rusty behaved
so well! Highrises scare me for this very reason.

Jill

Old February 5th 05, 10:12 PM
W. Leong

Maybe that's why I didn't see the woman who lives on my floor and
has 3 cats. It is tough enough to carry 1 cat down all those stairs.
Hope she has a strategy in case of a real file.
I know lots of people in my building stay put when the alarm goes off.
But you never know when it is real. I don't want to take that chance.

Winnie

Old February 5th 05, 10:24 PM
W. Leong

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Cheryl wrote:
On Sat 05 Feb 2005 01:11:22p, Karen Chuplis wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

That's my one fear. Seems like you have a good chance getting
one cat out, but three. Pearl wouldn't hide so might be easy but
Sugar and Grant would hide immediately

That's my big fear too. Shamrock and the kittens I could get, but
Bonnie, no way. A few times we had to go through the tornado warning
routine, and it worked out, but now with 2 more cats I'm not so sure.
Plus, tornado means going to a low spot in your house. Fire means
getting out. I'm going to have to rethink this and find a new
strategy for fires.

I've said it befo I have stickers on my doors stating "In case of Fire
please rescue __ Cat(s)." At least if you can't get them out, the fire
crews will know there are pets inside.

Jill

I have a similar sticker on my door too. But I wonder whether the
firemen will really go in and rescue my cat. There are over 200 units in my
building.
When I am not home, I confine Rusty to a small room with a glass door where
he can be easily spotted. Of course he has his food
and litter box in the same room.

At least the building does not have any balcony from which a cat can
fall down. But we do get these alarms from time to time.

Winnie

Winnie

Old February 6th 05, 12:49 PM
Adrian

W. Leong wrote:
[...]

I'm very glad it was a false alarm, but it's good to practice just in
case.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old February 6th 05, 04:44 PM
Mischief

*shudder*

I'm just thinking about how the fire alarm went off at school last
semester and how some girl thought she would help our program cats by
carrying them out in her arms. Poor Brother freaked out and escaped
and was in the big OUT for over a week before we caught him.

Kristi