Fire Alarm

Old February 6th 05, 10:28 PM
Cheryl

On Sat 05 Feb 2005 04:31:16p, jmcquown wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

I've said it befo I have stickers on my doors stating "In
case of Fire please rescue __ Cat(s)." At least if you can't
get them out, the fire crews will know there are pets inside.

I keep meaning to find these. Thanks for the reminder.

--
Cheryl
Old February 6th 05, 10:47 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , Cheryl
wrote:

On Sat 05 Feb 2005 04:31:16p, jmcquown wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

I've said it befo I have stickers on my doors stating "In
case of Fire please rescue __ Cat(s)." At least if you can't
get them out, the fire crews will know there are pets inside.

I keep meaning to find these. Thanks for the reminder.

I was cheered, after a friend's apartment fire, that she came home to
find the Fairfax County, Virginia paramedics gathered around her cat, a
pediatric oxygen mask on his face, and several of the crew stroking him
and wiping off the soot. He made a fairly good recovery -- and they
brought him out unconscious. He had been under a burning bed, the source
of the fire, and they found him when they yanked out the mattress -- the
now soaked mattress, with damp cat underneath.
Old February 8th 05, 01:50 PM
Holly

I was driving down 95 south the other day and I noticed painted on the
side of a big rig these words, when I read them it made me cry to know
that this driver would go to this extent for his pet. The sign read "
In case of accident please check cab for my partner, Rusty (he's a
orange and white cat)".
I worry sometimes that we will have a fire or an emergency and I wont
be able to get my babies.

Old February 24th 05, 06:33 PM

Winnie,

That was such a touching story. I have a big old tom cat I call
Patches. We found him cowering in the middle of a state highway laying
in the middle of two lanes directly over the yellow line. Cars and
trucks were everywhere on either side of him. Someone had dumped him
off. My son-in-law ran out and got him. I had just lost a family cat,
Babe, to what appeared to have been cancer, so I was not in the mood to
take on another one, but as I held him with my left arm with his warm
nose in the crook of my arm, he shook so much that I couldn't resist
him! He was so afraid but so trusting once I held him.

Al

W. Leong wrote:
The other night the fire alarm of my building went off after

midnight.
My cat Rusty was sleeping but he stayed calm. I was still up and

quickly put
on my coat and put him in a lightweight carrier.
He stayed calm and quiet and we took the long way down the
stairs as I live on the 15th floor of a highrise building.
Good thing Rusty only weighs 8 lb. He remained quiet in the carrier
throughout. The firemen came and checked things out.
Guess it was another false alarm as I didn't see any smoke or fire.
Afterwards we took the elevator back upstairs. I wasn't going to
take Rusty back up the stairs. He got a treat for his good behaviour.
Wish he behaves like this when I take him to the vet. Maybe I should
switch to this carrier instead of the more sturdy but heavier

carrier.
He probably associates the heavycarrier with vet trips even though
he sleep in it.

I saw other people in the building took their dogs downstairs. But
I don't see any cat. Wonder whether the cat owners didn't bother
leaving home or just went downstairs without their cats.
I always take Rusty with me just in case.

--
Winnie

Old February 25th 05, 12:13 PM
Lesley Madigan

..

At least the building does not have any balcony from which a cat can
fall down.

I cannot hear the word "Cat" and the word "Balcony" in the same
sentence without remembering a story I would like to share with you.

Imagine the scene, Hugh had just got up, thrown on his dressing gown
and wandered into his living room. He hears Bingo meeping but can't
see him. Then he realises what has happened. The flat has a balcony
and there is a sort of porch overhanging the door to the living room
and Bingo has somehow managed to get up there and is stuck.

Hugh tries to coax Bingo down but Bingo who is only a kitten won't
jump.

Solution. As the balcony is very narrow, Hugh grabs the railing and
manages to walk his back legs up the wall so that he acts as a bridge
for Bingo to climb down.

Problem. Hugh is now suspended on a 10th floor balcony, the fact that
his dressing gown is okay and his bits are waving in the wind is
entirely secondary to the fact that Bingo is not moving and his hands
are starting to hurt....

Finally, in response to the increasingly desperate pleas, Bingo starts
to walk down Hugh's legs and onto his back....

And sits down to have a wash.....

Luckily at this point his flatmate came out and Hugh with considerable
self control said "Get the f***ing cat off me!"

He must have looked one Hell of a sight!!!!

Lesley

Slave to the Fabulous Furballs (Thankfully the home they own has no
balconies)
Old February 25th 05, 02:49 PM
Marina

Lesley Madigan wrote:
.

[...]

LOL! I have to say a word in favour of balconies here. Mine is
glassed-in all the way around. You have the option of opening the glass
panes all the way or just a crack, and in summer I keep them open a
crack so the air can circulate. The cats love sunning themselves out
there when the weather is warm enough. Here's a picture of them doing
just that: http://tinyurl.com/6speq

Here they are on their cat tree (you can just make out the cracked open
glass pane behind Nikki, and in the background, you can see the
balconies of other flats): http://tinyurl.com/5q6uw

Now that the days are getting longer again and we are enjoying several
hours of sun even here on the tundra, the cats are eagerly looking for
their nice, warm balcony again, but it's a bit too cold yet.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old February 25th 05, 05:31 PM
Marina

Cheryl Perkins wrote:
That's the kind of balcony to have in a northern climate! I don't have
any, but then, I live in a small house, not an apartment building. I
notice that you have two chairs and two perches on the cat tree so they
can each relax in comfort in their own spaces! Where do you sit? G

Oh, me, I'm just the slave. I don't need a chair. ;o) My duties include
moving the chairs so they are always in the sun, and I am found sadly
lacking in this skill when the sun goes around the corner of the
building so it doesn't shine on our balcony (it faces east so we have
sun in the morning/noon). Frank comes inside and complains bitterly when
the sun moves and his chair is in shadow.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old February 26th 05, 01:34 AM
badwilson

Lesley Madigan wrote:
.

[...]

LOL! That's hilarious!
Our 12th floor condo in Vancouver used to have a very large balcony.
It had glass railings with a thin metal tube along the top, so Vino
couldn't jump up and sit on it.
Vino knew from kittenhood that the balcony was high up and would
quiver with fear if we picked him up near the edge. So we kept his
litterbox out there and kept a small window open a crack. Vino later
figured out how to open the window himself by turning a latch and
pushing the window out. This was very handy in the winter because we
could keep the window closed but he could still get out to his
litterbox.
I used to be a bit worried in the beginning, but he proved that there
was no way he was ever going to jump up or anything like that, so it
turned out to be a great place to keep the litterbox and also for Vino
to catch some rays and fresh air.
I wish we still had a balcony, but now that we're in a house, I have
to keep Vino inside all the time.
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

Old February 27th 05, 05:44 AM
Marina

Cheryl Perkins wrote:

Too cold here, too, although Mandy would like to go out sometimes. My two
like to lie in the space between the windows and the screens when the
inner windows are open, and even in the coldest weather they like to
stretch out on the windowsills. The house is an old one with reasonably
wide windowsills, but bits of cat still droop over the edges! They'd be
at a loss if we had the more modern style windows without sills.

Just when I'd said it's too cold here, the sun came out enough to let
the cats enjoy an outing on the balcony. In this picture, Nikki is doing
what I call her 'eager beaver' thing with her paw. It's what she does
when she's excited about something or just very happy. She paws at
something - here it's the edge of the shelf, sometimes it's the leg of a
chair. She's not scratching, just pawing with her claws just slightly out.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...83386335pcAdkj

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki