(ot) Fix-It?

Old March 19th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default (ot) Fix-It?

Anyone here have experience with a software package named "Fix-it"
(version 4.0)? On the face of it, it seems to me to be similar to
Norton Utilities - true?

I was helping a friend fix some computer problems today, and he had
Fix-It installed. On start-up, Fix-It started an antivirus program. A
bit later in the start-up cycle, MacAfee Antivirus (the user's
antivirus of choice) started. What the heck? Does Fix-It have its own
A/V program? It didn't appear (to me) to be starting MacAfee.

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old March 19th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
Anyone here have experience with a software package named "Fix-it"
(version 4.0)? On the face of it, it seems to me to be similar to
Norton Utilities - true?

I was helping a friend fix some computer problems today, and he had
Fix-It installed. On start-up, Fix-It started an antivirus program. A
bit later in the start-up cycle, MacAfee Antivirus (the user's
antivirus of choice) started. What the heck? Does Fix-It have its own
A/V program? It didn't appear (to me) to be starting MacAfee.

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com

I am not familiar with Fix-It. However, many computers come with McAfee or
Norton preinstalled, and using more than one AV program on a single computer
is almost guaranteed to cause conflicts. I suggest that you uninstall
McAfee (probably by using "Add or Remove Programs" in Control Panel) and
then reinstall Fix-It. If you do not want to uninstall McAfee, you at least
need to make sure that it is turned off. However, both McAfee and Norton
are known to sometimes "come to life" on their own and take over the AV
setup.

MaryL

Old March 19th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

Sorry...I just realized that I did not really answer your question.
However, I sent to the Fix-It page, and at least one version does include an
AV component: http://www.v-com.com/product/Fix-It_Utilities_Home.html

MaryL

Old March 19th 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 23:02:43 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

I am not familiar with Fix-It. However, many computers come with McAfee or
Norton preinstalled, and using more than one AV program on a single computer
is almost guaranteed to cause conflicts. I suggest that you uninstall
McAfee (probably by using "Add or Remove Programs" in Control Panel) and
then reinstall Fix-It. If you do not want to uninstall McAfee, you at least
need to make sure that it is turned off. However, both McAfee and Norton
are known to sometimes "come to life" on their own and take over the AV
setup.

My friend wanted to keep McAfee, so I tried to uninstall Fix-It
(henceforth known as "F-I"), which someone else had put on his
computer about the time the trouble I was trying to straighten out
(his printer wouldn't work) started. Unfortunately, every time I ran
the uninstall, the un-installation went to "program not responding"
status (I was using F-I's uninstaller). Because we were running out of
time for the day, I took advantage of F-I's modify program option, and
uninstalled the A/V package for F-I. On restart, F-I's antivirus did
not load but McAfee did. And the printer started working again.

Now I have to talk him into either 1) getting more RAM; 2) stop using
that resource hog known as AOL 9.0; or 3) getting a new machine (the
current one is 10 years old). One of these options is the only true
way to address the actual problem he's got (which isn't the one I was
there to deal with).

Old March 19th 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
snip
Now I have to talk him into either 1) getting more RAM; 2) stop using
that resource hog known as AOL 9.0; or 3) getting a new machine (the
current one is 10 years old). One of these options is the only true
way to address the actual problem he's got (which isn't the one I was
there to deal with).

I would think the best solution is a new machine, even the most basic
available would knock spots off something that old and would probably cost
less than $300.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.