Cutting nails

Old July 22nd 09, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

Default Cutting nails

I keep kitties nails trimed when they grow too long. *I see that this
is too complex a concept for you to fathom. *Cats evolved in the wild,
not in a cave like yours, and the use of a scratching post is
frequently not enough to counter their claws' natural growth.

For example, I have a less active persian whose dew claw will spiral
in and cut her if it isn't trimmed.

Nomad is correct. In the wild, cats will naturally wear down their
nails, but this doesn't happen indoors. Their nails can grow into
their paw pad, or get stuck in carpeting and get yanked off/bleed.

Catch her when she's sleepy and cut a nail or two. If she hisses, stop
and try again later. Praise her like crazy if she doesn't fuss. It
will take some time. Give her a treat afterwards. Sometimes, I'll
"pretend" to clip a nail (just massage the paw a little). Do this, and
praise her, to get her used to the sensation.

I've tried the towel/burrito method, but some cats really don't like
being restrained and will fight even more. You can try it on your cat,
but if she struggles a lot, remove the towel. You'll only make her
more stressed.

Our middle cat used to be a terror with the nails, but I kept at it,
and today he will purr when I put him on my lap for a trimming!
Old July 22nd 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Granby

That is the way I do all three of mine. My carpet is different textured
and, after seeing a couple of them actually rip out a nail, nope not going
to happen again. They fight with being wrapped up but mine have now
learned, if they lay still it won't last long and, a treat always follows.
"James" wrote in message
On Jul 22, 10:06 am, "desgnr" wrote:
My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.

Any sugestions how to get the job done ?

I'm going to try this next time I trim her nails. Wrap her in a hand
towel like a burrito. Put her on her back. Take out one leg and
trim. I've done it with rabbits but haven't tried a cat yet.

Old July 22nd 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Granby

I was hoping this was the case. FYI, clipping is like cutting your own
finger nails. IT IS NOT DECLAWING!!!!
"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I wonder if satisvasam isn't getting clipping confused with declawing.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old July 22nd 09, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Linda Boucher

Hi
my cat is very hard to do anything with.she does`to like being touched.so I
hold her between my knee's.
and cut her nails
I see, American cat owners, that explains it. Poor cats, the only possible
reason to cut a cats claws is, if it has a foot /claw infection and needs
treatment, in general this cruel act is just to make life a bit easier for
the human who keeps the pet. shame on you!

Old July 22nd 09, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

There is no confusing here. Good sentence structure and definition from
this person. The person has been in the cat groups before.

They understand but here comes the "American part" Please kiss off

"sativasam" wrote in message
I see, American cat owners, that explains it. Poor cats, the only possible
reason to cut a cats claws is, if it has a foot /claw infection and needs
treatment, in general this cruel act is just to make life a bit easier for
the human who keeps the pet. shame on you!

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...
I had a cat like that I ended up having to take her to the vet to do it
or it got a set of Kevlar glovers out and had someone hold her down.
After a while she learned that it was go with the flow or got to the vet

Old July 25th 09, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"desgnr" wrote in message
My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.

Any sugestions how to get the job done ?

Trimming our cats' claws has nothing to do with furniture (at least, not in
my case). My cats have lots of scratching posts and a couple of cat trees.
However, the time eventually comes when Holly's claws are long enough that
they start to "catch" as she climbs or even walks across the carpet.
Without trimming, she could easily injure herself if a claw becomes hooked
in fabric. Trimming her claws is someone like trimming our own nails--that
is, the claw or nail is dead tissue (*not at all* like declawing) and does
not cause any injury. Would you let your own nails grow without every
filing or trimming them??

MaryL

Old July 25th 09, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Janet

MaryL wrote:
Trimming our cats' claws has nothing to do with furniture (at least,
not in my case). My cats have lots of scratching posts and a couple
of cat trees.

My cat, whom I rescued as an adult, has a scratching post, which I've seen
her use precisely once, and she had one of those cardboard scratching things
with a ball that runs around the outside which she completely ignored, even
when I put catnip on it and played with her by rolling the ball. Apparently
she is in that percentage of cats that don't react to catnip. I cannot
afford to continue purchasing scratching posts of varied type to see if she
will condescend to use one.

She inflicted damage on my upholstered furniture before I realized what she
was up to. Damn straight I trim her nails because of the furniture!
Luckily, she puts up with nail trimming very well.

Old July 25th 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Janet" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
Trimming our cats' claws has nothing to do with furniture (at least,
not in my case). My cats have lots of scratching posts and a couple
of cat trees.

My cat, whom I rescued as an adult, has a scratching post, which I've seen
her use precisely once, and she had one of those cardboard scratching
things with a ball that runs around the outside which she completely
ignored, even when I put catnip on it and played with her by rolling the
ball. Apparently she is in that percentage of cats that don't react to
catnip. I cannot afford to continue purchasing scratching posts of varied
type to see if she will condescend to use one.

She inflicted damage on my upholstered furniture before I realized what
she was up to. Damn straight I trim her nails because of the furniture!
Luckily, she puts up with nail trimming very well.

Well, there is nothing wrong with trimming a cat's claws either for the
purpose I listed or for what you said. Trimming does not injure the cat,
just as filing or timming my own nails does not hurt me. It is *declawing*
that is injurious (and unpardonable, in my opinion).

MaryL

Old July 25th 09, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Granby

Has this person responded to any of our posts? Maybe someone just jumped in
to be ugly and left, not wanting to learn anything.

Old July 26th 09, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Granby" wrote in message
Has this person responded to any of our posts? Maybe someone just jumped
in to be ugly and left, not wanting to learn anything.

I suspect that may be the case, especially since the message started with
"American cat owners," "poor cats," etc. and then there was no response when
clarification was given.

MaryL