Help with cat chewing on wires

Old October 11th 09, 11:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dlynne

Default Help with cat chewing on wires

I have a one year old Birman cat that likes to chew on headphone
wires. He has already chewed right through 4 pair.
I am worried with Christmas coming up and him chewing through the
Christmas light wires. I tried vinager on the wires, but that did not
work. I need suggestions as to what to try to get him to stop chewing
through wires.
Thanks,
Dlynne
Old October 11th 09, 11:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christine BA[_2_]

Dlynne kirjoitti:
I have a one year old Birman cat that likes to chew on headphone
wires. He has already chewed right through 4 pair.
I am worried with Christmas coming up and him chewing through the
Christmas light wires. I tried vinager on the wires, but that did not
work. I need suggestions as to what to try to get him to stop chewing
through wires.
Thanks,
Dlynne

If vinegar didn't help, try tabasco, mustard, orange oil, even a
strongly perfumed moisturiser (or just perfume) might repel him. You can
test at least the moisturiser/perfume by putting some on your hand and
offering it to him, you can tell by his reaction what he thinks of it.
And headphone wires can be kept safe by putting them away in a desk
drawer or some such, but that won't work with the X-mas lights, I know.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old October 11th 09, 11:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Dlynne exclaimed (10/11/2009 6:19 AM):
I have a one year old Birman cat that likes to chew on headphone
wires. He has already chewed right through 4 pair.
I am worried with Christmas coming up and him chewing through the
Christmas light wires. I tried vinager on the wires, but that did not
work. I need suggestions as to what to try to get him to stop chewing
through wires.
Thanks,
Dlynne

If coating with various icky things doesn't work, you might try wrapping
some split loom or other tubing around it.

Links are from Amazon.com:

Like this: http://tinyurl.com/ylrwjqz

or even something like this: http://tinyurl.com/yzltyfr

If you live in Northern VA or Denver, Microcenter has a ton of choices
(this link contains a lot of non-cable-hiding items so you have to
search around a bit): http://tinyurl.com/ygzelaw

The general idea is, hide the cable. If your cat is really dedicated,
you could even try hiding it in PVC tubing, though I've not really heard
of anyone doing that

Good luck!

jmc
Old October 14th 09, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Dlynne" wrote in message
I have a one year old Birman cat that likes to chew on headphone
wires. He has already chewed right through 4 pair.
I am worried with Christmas coming up and him chewing through the
Christmas light wires. I tried vinager on the wires, but that did not
work. I need suggestions as to what to try to get him to stop chewing
through wires.
Thanks,
Dlynne

There is a product known as Bitter Apple that is made specifically for this
purpose. It is readily available on the Internet.

You are wise to be concerned. A cat can be electrocuted by chewing on some
wires.

MaryL