Scratching furniture

Old July 13th 04, 08:23 PM
B G

Default Scratching furniture

I know this subject has probably been covered but I scrolled back thru
1500 posts and couldn't find it.

When I first got my cat he'd scratch the couch. I got him a scratching
post and got him to use it. Problem is he kept growing and growing.
Now he's huge! He outgrew the post and my Girlfriend moved out which
left just he and I in the Apt. I began to let him scratch on the couch.
(It was old I didn't care) Now I've moved into a new apt wih all new
furniture. He's tearing up my brand new couch. I realize its not his
fault but I need to stop him from doing this fast! He's 2 1/2 yrs old
and very big. I bought some spray from the pet store thats supposed to
stop him from scratching the furniture but it does'nt work. Bought him
a bigger scratching post today and sprayed it wih cat-nip spray but he's
still using the couch.

What do I do? I love him to death and I know this is all my fault(I've
spoiled him rotten!) He's only doing what I've allowed him to do for the
past 2 yrs but I need to protect my new furniture. What can I do?

Old July 13th 04, 08:52 PM
Karen

Buy a large, very sturdy cat tree. You can probably find one for around
180.00. Also, by some sticky paws sheets to put on the parts of the couch
he likes to scratch (can be found at same store you get cat tree at). You
won't need to leave it on forever, just until you get him used to the
scratch tree. I would, peronally, get two trees. A large one and a half one.
Mine use their continuously. I, of course, have three cats, but still even
one should have a choice of surfaces. See our set up:

http://tinyurl.com/3b8be

or
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kch...o.com/kchuplis

Old July 13th 04, 08:57 PM
Karen

Here is one in demonstration

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kch...&.dnm=13db.jpg

Pearl is the biggest user of this tree. It's a half perch I got at Petco for
about 60 dollars. Notice the flat one on the floor that is all torn up. That
is Pearl's favorite.

Old July 13th 04, 10:24 PM
Wendy

"B G" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with Karen. Get a nice big cat tree with various textures to scratch
on. They are worth every penny spent on them. Spray it with catnip and feed
your cat treats on it. Location can make a difference so put it near the
couch to start as that seems to be where he likes to scratch. Use the sticky
tape on the couch until the cat gets the picture.

Old July 13th 04, 11:59 PM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav",
(B G) artfully composed this message
within on 13
Jul 2004:

[...]

I used to let mine scratch my furniture before I moved into my
house. I got rid of that stuff when I bought my house and at first,
I left the big plastic covers on the furniture that it was
delivered in. Removed them when I had company. When I first moved
in, mine were much older; 8 and 12 yrs old. This was around the
time I first started reading these news groups and I was amazed
that people had trained their cats not to demolish furniture. I
took their advice, got a big sturdy cat tree, and some horizontal
cardboard scratchers and they learned quickly that they liked their
stuff better. I still keep an old chair downstairs that has a
tweedy upolstery and they know it is theirs.

--
Cheryl

Old July 14th 04, 03:29 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:23:32 -0500, (B G)
wrote:

[...]

When my Siamese (RB) adoptd me, I covered the living room furniture
with sheet plastic and just left it there when the furniture was not
in use. Cats don't seem to care for plastic. I also got her a
scratching post and many toys. That was 21 years ago and my cats
never scratched the furniture. After a few months I removed the
plastic. Good luck. MLB