Cat Show

Old June 30th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Cat Show

there is a Star City Cat Fanciers Cat Show in Roanoke, VA at their civic
center on July 1 and 2 this weekend.

I can't wait to go and going by myself. When others go with me they
aren't as thrilled to see all the cats, etc. and I don't get to stay as
long.

do others in here go to cat shows? anything I should be looking for or
enjoying because I really don't know much about what goes on at one.

thanks for letting me share!

amary - mother of 4 inside cats and 1 outside stray (hope to make it an
indoor cat someday)

Old June 30th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Toni

wrote in message

do others in here go to cat shows? anything I should be looking for or
enjoying because I really don't know much about what goes on at one.

I go- great place for shopping and I find things there that I don't see
anywhere else.
Take $$ for a new cat tree

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

Old July 1st 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Toni

wrote in message
ps.com...
How neat - never heard about a cat show. Is there a web site where I
could learn more about them?

Simply Google "cat+shows"- Google is a wonderful resource

General information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_show

CFA schedule:
http://www.cfainc.org/exhibitors/show-schedule.html

TICA schedule:
http://home.flash.net/~debreed/calendar.htm

Old July 1st 06, 10:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bit-o-honey

-L. wrote:

Look out for really bitchy and self-impressed cat breeders. They're a
piece of work. Personally I'd rather see who is on display at the
local shelter.

-L.

Damn Lyn why you gotta be a kill joy

I live an hour from the show, straight out 460west

you goto the shelter, Im going to the cat show

you don't wanna see cats walking on barrels and stuff? I do

I bet they got cotton caaandy, funnel cakes and sausageeess
-
the foreigners will be serving little tasty chunks of "the other white
meat" on a stick
-

Everybody loves and helps shelter cats, you can't let this
overpopulation problem prevent you from having some fun

I see nothing wrong with a cat show, you know, maintain the different
unique breeds (this is good) It's a celebration of LIFE

society has an obligation to be responsible with their actions
society has an obligation to itself to educate itself with the
overpopulation problem

Im going

and if any of you net freaks want my autograph while Im there, you
can't miss me!
Ill be the one in the fur coat and diamonds.. just don't walk up on me
too fast Ill have my body guards I wouldnt' want you to be pig wrestled
to the ground

Old July 2nd 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Cat Show-update

well I enjoyed the cat show but didn't see as many breeds as I would
have hoped. There were a lot of Maine Coon Cats and I hope one day to
have an all white maine coon. (anybody out there have a small kitten
they would want to send to a good home?)

There were some regular cats for adoption there and overall everyone was
nice to me that I talked to. But of course there are some snotty ones
wherever you go, you just ignore them. I love seeing the different
people who love cats and it is interesting to see the judges and how
they handle the cats and what they look for. some are chatty and some
are not.

Hmm, i didn't see anybody is furs and diamonds to run up and say "hi
bit o honey" to!!!
Everybody should go sometime just for the experience. It is so hard not
to want to pet the cats though. I came home and loved on my kitties
because they are "best in show" at my house everyday

amary

Old July 5th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:29:27 -0400, wrote:

there is a Star City Cat Fanciers Cat Show in Roanoke, VA at their civic
center on July 1 and 2 this weekend.

I can't wait to go and going by myself. When others go with me they
aren't as thrilled to see all the cats, etc. and I don't get to stay as
long.

do others in here go to cat shows? anything I should be looking for or
enjoying because I really don't know much about what goes on at one.

thanks for letting me share!

amary - mother of 4 inside cats and 1 outside stray (hope to make it an
indoor cat someday)

I go to the NYC show at Madison Square Garden each year. I'm sort of
conflicted on the matter of Cat Shows because I'm not a big fan of
breeding, but it is interesting seeing all the different kinds of
cats. Some are astonishingly ugly but most are very cute. At least
they have adopt-a-cat sections now so it somewhat offsets the idea of
breeding cats when there are so many strays that need a home.

And it is a great place for free samples and general shopping. I can't
sit through too many judgings though. One of my cats has a much cuter
face than I've ever seen at a cat show, but his droopy stomache would
disqualify him from serious judging. He might do well at the obstacle
course however.
Old July 6th 06, 08:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

-L. wrote:

Look out for really bitchy and self-impressed cat breeders. They're a
piece of work. Personally I'd rather see who is on display at the
local shelter.

You said you didn't need a puppy. How good are you at looking shelter
kitties and not being tempted?

I go to cat shows as a vendor. In February of 2005, I went to another
show. I found an awesome cat tree being raffled off. The kind where you
buy half a playing card to match up. It had shelves at nice heights and
space well so that my elderly boy would be able to use it. I bought 3
tickets.

I made the "mistake" of wandering by the shelter exhibits. They had two
shelter groups there. That's where I found "Mister". He was sitting in
his kitty litter box, so I really saw was a sweet fluffy bluepoint with
a huge thick head and gorgeous eyes. I knew we couldn't get another
cat, so I tried to put him out of my mind.

The next day, my mom mentioned that she had brought up the cat to my
dad. I rent the basement, and I already had 2 cats, and a dog. My
nephew has a cat, and my mom had a dog. Not the most we've ever had,
but then my dad really isn't an animal person, so anything is more than
he would like. (honestly, I don't know how he puts up with us, except
the animals have worked hard to win him over).

Once I realized I had a shot, there was no stopping. I spent most of my
time staring at the gorgeous cat (not realizing he was hypnotizing me)
than attending my vendor booth. When I wasn't staring at him, my mom
was.

By afternoon, I had gotten the approval (later he admitted he didn't
think he had an option). And I waited by my cat to pay his adoption fee
(nobody was getting MY cat).

After that, I won the cat tree! That was exciting. I've never wanted a
raffle price so badly as that one.

When we packed the van at the end of the day, it was a tight fit. The
cat tree is only about 4 feet tall, but wide with 3 large circle
platforms well spaced out. I had to fold down the seats and lay it
across them. After getting all the vendor stuff back in, the only space
for the cat was in between the two front seats, with the carrier
resting on the arm rests. Thankfully, the shelter lady let us borrow
the carrier since he was large. She has the cardboard ones to give
away, but that was too small for him. I was going to beg my dad to
drive 45 minutes each way to bring my carrier. I was able to give it
back to her at a later show.

My elderly boy only got to enjoy the cat tree for a few months, which
he did. Mister Jay Jay loved it too, and after Maynard died, he took
it over. The others use it occasionally, but he sacks out on it.

I still go to cat shows, and my mom took a liking to another cat from
the same shelter. It took her 3 shows, but we brought her home last
August from a show in Portland. That time, I had my vendor canopy, and
there were 3 of us with overnight stuff. It was a really tight fit
getting a jumbo carrier in the car.

We became friends with the shelter lady after getting Jay Jay, so we
keep in touch and see each other shows. She re-started a business of
selling of cat things, so I have bought some stuff from her, and it's
been fun to have her booth next to ours. My mom volunteered at one of
their events, and I donated some stuff to their craft booth last
winter.

Oh, and I took Jay Jay to a show last February. For teh household pet
class. He took 2nd place in the longhair specialty for the first judge.
After that, we mistakenly let the shelter lady come see him. We didn't
realize until later that he put that together with the show and decided
he was up for adoption again. After that, he hiseed at every judge, and
basically told everybody that he was not a good cat to adopt. He hated
the show, but bless his heart, he was fighting to keep the home he has.
I hope he realized that I was never going to give him up.

I do hope to take him to shows again, though I would like to take him
and not have him judged once so that he just gets used to the sights
and smells and the great ride home. He was absolutely perfect in his
regular cage, and lots of people were very impressed with him. Several
spectators were surprised to learn that an unregistered cat may be
shown. There's a special class for them that is quite fun. And I really
liked being to able to show people what they could get at a shelter.
Not bad for $75 - vaccinated, microchipped, spaey/neutered, and an
AWESOME cat. Such a great deal. And these cats are waiting for homes. I
was really proud to include the shelter name on my display, and I have
a photo of Jay Jay on the back of my photography brochure with the
name of the shelter.