Please Help - 8 yr old Cat w/ Sore on Head

Old August 7th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Please Help - 8 yr old Cat w/ Sore on Head

"Billy" wrote
Thanks everyone, you are a very helpful bunch. I did stop the peroxide
- wouldnt have thought of doing so unless I was able to get to Vet
quickly (not possible) so your suggestions were helpful.

The thing about peroxide is that it eats tissue--that's why it's great for
cleaning out wounds and good for getting rid of surface infection. But
after you get the wound clean, you need to stop the peroxide and let
it dry so it can heal. (My dentist says that people who use it as a mouth
rinse are doing more harm than good, as it sloughs off healthy gum
tissue.)

Strangely, it
does appear better today. We are taking him to the vet on Thurs - she
is the best vet and we wish to wait for her to return.

If the wound subsides, we will use the picture that I posted to show
her the progression, or vice-versa.

I just cant imagine what this whole thing is from - disease or wound.
Still puzzled about that.

I hope it's something easily taken care of . Let us know.

Old August 7th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
saxrocco via CatKB.com

Billy - good luck with your cat. Hope he gets better, it is always sad
having an injured pet.
As most of you on here know I lost my 5 year old cat on Saturday unexpectedly
and I found this website by sheer chance. I am grateful to have met so many
cat lovers as there are a lot of people out there who are so cruel...
Your cat looks like my cat Rosieboy who stayed with my Mum when I left home 5
years ago.
The cat I have left now (Rover) I am going to cherish as he is my only baby
(he is 5).

cybercat wrote:
Thanks everyone, you are a very helpful bunch. I did stop the peroxide
- wouldnt have thought of doing so unless I was able to get to Vet
quickly (not possible) so your suggestions were helpful.

The thing about peroxide is that it eats tissue--that's why it's great for
cleaning out wounds and good for getting rid of surface infection. But
after you get the wound clean, you need to stop the peroxide and let
it dry so it can heal. (My dentist says that people who use it as a mouth
rinse are doing more harm than good, as it sloughs off healthy gum
tissue.)

Strangely, it
does appear better today. We are taking him to the vet on Thurs - she
is the best vet and we wish to wait for her to return.

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]

Old August 10th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Billy

On Aug 7, 11:18 am, "cybercat" wrote:
[...]

This was a trauma wound likely caused by our other more agressive cat.
She cleaned the area with warm water on a cotton pad then applied one
of those funnel collars around his neck. She believes that he was
scratching or pawing at it thereby self-inflicting repetitive wounds
by re-opening the scabbed area. I was really concerned this was either
Basal Cell Carninoma or Squamous Cell Carninoma. His wound looked very
similar to the orange/white cats head pictures on the site to follow
below - just a smaller version of it but exactly in the same
vicitinity of the head. For those with cats with skin problems, a good
resource of all summarized possibilities is listed he
http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=202

***Lesson Learned:*** Do see a vet and dont try to self-diagnose, many
conditions similarly mimic others.

Old August 10th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"Billy" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Well now is when you get the camera out for the furball is going to hate the
e-collar ;-)

I am glad you followed everyone's advice about going to the vet. So many
people don't and it drives all of us crazy out here.

Ps Doctors make the worse patients why they self diagnose ;-)

Fear is something you create from not knowing best to shut up and deal with
it when you know what is going on as I always say
but always easier said than done :^)

Thanks for the update

Old August 11th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Matthew wrote:
Clean the area with peroxide and a clean cloth put some Vaseline on it to
keep dirt out

Sigh. Cleaning a wound once with peroxide is ok - after that, the
peroxide will kill any healing tissue.

Do not ever put vaseline on a wound. if it is infected with anerobic
bacteria, vaseline will cause it to abscess. It is much better to let
it dry naturally, and see the vet.

-L.

Old August 11th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Aug 10, 10:10 pm, "-L." wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Clean the area with peroxide and a clean cloth put some Vaseline on it to
keep dirt out

Sigh. Cleaning a wound once with peroxide is ok - after that, the
peroxide will kill any healing tissue.

Do not ever put vaseline on a wound. if it is infected with anerobic
bacteria, vaseline will cause it to abscess. It is much better to let
it dry naturally, and see the vet.

-L.

Yes, yes, yes. This is all true. I spend an entire summer having to go
to a
wound clinic to heal an incision. Peroxide kills the new cells that
are trying to
form as the wound tries to heal. Never use peroxide on any wound
except for
the initial cleaning of the wound.
FWIW, I had a cat who had a minor scab on his head once, and ended up
losing
hair around it the size of a dime or so. The vet said a bacterial
infection caused the
hair loss, gave us some Panalog to put on it, and it cleared up.
Weirdly enough,
the hair grew back in white. (this was a black cat).

Sherry

Old August 12th 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Sherry wrote:
Yes, yes, yes. This is all true. I spend an entire summer having to go
to a
wound clinic to heal an incision.

You did? Ouch!! Hope you are feeling better!

Peroxide kills the new cells that
are trying to
form as the wound tries to heal. Never use peroxide on any wound
except for
the initial cleaning of the wound.
FWIW, I had a cat who had a minor scab on his head once, and ended up
losing
hair around it the size of a dime or so. The vet said a bacterial
infection caused the
hair loss, gave us some Panalog to put on it, and it cleared up.
Weirdly enough,
the hair grew back in white. (this was a black cat).

That's really common, especially for wounds caused by other cats. The
patch will be completely bald and completely round. It looks really
weird.

-L.

sore on nose Grawun Cat health & behaviour 3 May 31st 06 11:11 PM
My nose is sore Yoj Cat anecdotes 7 December 25th 05 06:23 AM
Sore by Butt oscargrouch Cat health & behaviour 4 May 20th 05 04:49 AM
Sore nose? Mary Cat anecdotes 6 April 2nd 05 04:12 AM
Cat with sore jaw & mouth Chrissy Cat health & behaviour 10 December 18th 03 03:03 PM