Re-covering a scratching post?

Old April 10th 04, 01:47 AM
Tracy

You can buy sisal rope at a big hardware store. It's usually with
other kinds of packing ropes. I used household "Goop" glue to attach
the sisal and it's held up reasonably well with a minor repair now and
then.

"queenbee" wrote in message alkaboutpets.com...
Hi, does anyone have any advice on re-covering a scratching post? My cats
(2) have a nice post that they adore. It's got an upright post covered in
carpet, a slanted post covered in sisal, and a curved part on top they can
lie in. I don't want to get them another post because a.) these posts are
SO EXPENSIVE and b.) they really like the one they have now and I haven't
been able to find the same one. I got some carpet remnants from a carpet
store, but I'll be darned if I can find sisal anywhere! And I'm a bit
perplexed as to how to adhere the carpet and sisal to the post. Any
advice?

Old April 10th 04, 01:51 PM
MIKE

I attached the rope by drilling a hole just below the top of the tube,
threading the rope through from the outside and tying a knot on the
inside (I was using cardboard tubing I obtained from a carpet store).
At the bottom, I also threaded the rope through a hole. The base was a
large piece of MDF plywood (3/4 inch) which was 4 feet by 4 feet.
Screwed to this was a PVC pipe flange. A piece of PVC pipe was glued
into the flange and extended up into the cardboard tube. The fit was
tight enough to hold the rope in place. If you send me your e-mail
address, I can send you a picture of the completed post.

-MIKE

Old April 10th 04, 05:41 PM
Ted Davis

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 08:51:17 -0400, (MIKE)
wrote:

I attached the rope by drilling a hole just below the top of the tube,
threading the rope through from the outside and tying a knot on the
inside (I was using cardboard tubing I obtained from a carpet store).
At the bottom, I also threaded the rope through a hole. The base was a
large piece of MDF plywood (3/4 inch) which was 4 feet by 4 feet.
Screwed to this was a PVC pipe flange. A piece of PVC pipe was glued
into the flange and extended up into the cardboard tube. The fit was
tight enough to hold the rope in place. If you send me your e-mail
address, I can send you a picture of the completed post.

I can visualize it easily - at least the construction, which is what
interests me. That base would *definitely* stop the overturning
problem, but I don't have enough space to go big - when I get around
to building one from scratch, I'll have to go for the mass without the
area, probably a concrete slab such as the one I use as a drag-proof
base for the water bowl. I don't think I can use the threading
through a hole idea to fix the existing one because of the
wooden/plastic plugs in the ends, but I'll certainly try it - a knot
on the inside would keep it from slipping out if there is enough room.

Right now it looks like I need to deal with a couple of hostile cats
(Fluffy and Millie) on and beside my monitor - Millie wants Fluffy's
place on top and Fluffy wants to kill or seriously damage Millie.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)

Old April 10th 04, 07:43 PM
MIKE

Ted, I don't think a heavy base will provide the stability that a large
base will. My Tiger (23 pounds) can climb right up the 4 foot post
without it tilting; A small heavy base would not allow that.

-MIKE