Fountain deterrant--Any suggestions?

Old April 30th 06, 02:40 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc

Default Fountain deterrant--Any suggestions?

Help! We have a couple of fountains that we want to put back out in our
home but can't figure out a way to keep the cat from drinking out of them.

A few months ago we discovered that "Buffy" was getting sick from drinking
the water out of one of the fountains. She vomited violently and we made
several trips to the ER and vet before we figured out what was making her
sick.

We don't have time to clean the fountains out each week, and I think that's
what it would take to keep the water fresh enough. They have lots of rocks
arranged in them and it would mean disassembling, washing bowl, rocks, pump,
then re-assembling. We just don't have that much time in our lives right
now.

Has anyone had a similar experience and found a good solution? Is there
something we could put in the water that might be a deterrant, but not
dangerous? I'm afaid a strong enough bleach solution to keep it from going
off, would make her sick.

We tried giving her her own fountain to drink out of but, of course, she
won't touch it--only the forbidden one. Of course with the new addition to
the family, there's a good chance she'll follow suit and we'll have two sick
ones...maybe three if they gang up on us...

Hmmm....I just had a thought...a little mouthwash maybe??

Thanks,
Buffy's family
http://www.davidandmollie.com/kitties/bufeyes.htm

Old April 30th 06, 05:41 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc

oldhickory wrote:

: Help! We have a couple of fountains that we want to put back out in our
: home but can't figure out a way to keep the cat from drinking out of them.

My cat also ignores all my attemts to provide her with fresh water and
marches straight to the fountain and drinks out of it. She has not
gotten sick or anything, but it is something I wonder about. I keep
filling the fountain with bottled drinking water, but I don't know if
that's enough. She just doesn't drink out of anything else.
Old April 30th 06, 06:19 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc

Having a fountain that a cat is not allowed to drink from will be pure
torture to the cats. They are naturally drawn to running water.

If you have any kind of fountain running, make sure the water is clean
and safe for them to drink. If you can't make it safe, I wouldn't do it.

Rhonda

Old April 30th 06, 04:13 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 01:40:56 GMT, "oldhickory"
wrote:

Help! We have a couple of fountains that we want to put back out in our
home but can't figure out a way to keep the cat from drinking out of them.

snip
Have you thought of putting a small amount of one of those substances
that you spray on a cat to keep it from chewing on itself?? I've had
real good luck with bitter apple; Bernie never chews his tail
anymore. Mayabe a half teaspoon in the water would do....obviously,
it's non-toxic.
Old April 30th 06, 07:45 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc

"oldhickory" wrote in message
Help! We have a couple of fountains that we want to put back out in our
home but can't figure out a way to keep the cat from drinking out of them.

A few months ago we discovered that "Buffy" was getting sick from drinking
the water out of one of the fountains. She vomited violently and we made
several trips to the ER and vet before we figured out what was making her
sick.

The answer is very simple.

DO NOT USE THE FOUNTAINS!!!!!

or else be sure they are fed by fresh water
and have a constant drain rather than recirculation

Old April 30th 06, 09:17 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc

oldhickory wrote:
Help! We have a couple of fountains that we want to put back out in our
home but can't figure out a way to keep the cat from drinking out of them.

A few months ago we discovered that "Buffy" was getting sick from drinking
the water out of one of the fountains. She vomited violently and we made
several trips to the ER and vet before we figured out what was making her
sick.

We don't have time to clean the fountains out each week, and I think that's
what it would take to keep the water fresh enough. They have lots of rocks
arranged in them and it would mean disassembling, washing bowl, rocks, pump,
then re-assembling. We just don't have that much time in our lives right
now.

Just take your cats to the ASPCA, because clearly you aren't capable of
owning an animal.

(oops, sorry, that was from the "don't you dare take a vacation! you're
a pet owner!!!" thread)

Has anyone had a similar experience and found a good solution? Is there
something we could put in the water that might be a deterrant, but not
dangerous? I'm afaid a strong enough bleach solution to keep it from going
off, would make her sick.

We tried giving her her own fountain to drink out of but, of course, she
won't touch it--only the forbidden one. Of course with the new addition to
the family, there's a good chance she'll follow suit and we'll have two sick
ones...maybe three if they gang up on us...

Add some catnip smell to Buffy's fountain (little pile of it on the top
or on a ledge of it.

Bring your the decorative fountain and leave it sitting on the floor.

Experiment with what's in your baking cabinet. Does Buffy detest citrus
scents? Strawberries? Oregano? Hot peppers? Once you find the one that
she hates, put some of that on your fountain.

Then add uncomfortable pussy-footing items around your fountain.
Aluminium foil? Plastic bubble wrap? This is after she's checked out
yours, and found that hers has water in it and smells of catnip and
yours stinks.

You could also add the cola can training device. (Take an empty pop
can, put several pennies in it, and catch kitty in the act by shaking
it noisily.)

Depending on how determined she is, it might take a week to re-learn
her to leave your fountain alone.

Oh, and you'll have to quit your job so you can guard her from the
possibility of natural disasters, broken washing machine hoses, and
other possible trauma during the training, if not for the rest of her
life.

HTH

--Karen D.
who ran off yesterday leaving her furry kids with nothing but huge
bowls of dried-up cat food and water and two clean catboxes for 24
HOURS!!!

Old May 1st 06, 12:46 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc

oldhickory wrote the following on 4/29/2006 9:40 PM:
Help! We have a couple of fountains that we want to put back out in our
home but can't figure out a way to keep the cat from drinking out of them.

Ours drink mostly from their own fountain, but once in a while they go
after the one that is difficult to clean. A bit of vinegar in the water
is a good deterrent.

Karen R.
Old May 2nd 06, 07:18 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc

[...]

I was given one of those little fountains, but Holly is greatly attracted to
moving water -- not just to drink but also to play. It isn't worth taking
risks with her health. I keep mine set up *without* any water. No, it's
not as pleasant to look at, but the alternative (possibly a sick cat) makes
it well worth doing without the pleasantry of a working fountain. Likewise,
I no longer keep real plants indoors -- same reaon. I have lots of plants
outdoor, but not inside. There are certain "trade offs" that come with
pets, and the great pleasure I get from my furry twosome makes all of those
decisions very easy to make.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

Old May 2nd 06, 01:44 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc

Dumb animals tend to die sooner than smart ones.
Nature made that rule to ensure survival of the species.
Humans support the weak ones and encourage them to multiply.
Humans are so much smarter than nature!

Willee

"oldhickory" wrote