Where is Joyce?

Old July 3rd 14, 02:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default Where is Joyce?

Christina Websell wrote:

Did something happen to her while I was in hospital or what?
Why isn't she posting?
Surely she hasn 't gone over to the social media site entirely?
I always enjoyed Joyce's posts and I really miss her on here. I could
always rely on her for an interesting discussion without acrimony if we
disagreed.

Hey, I'm here! *Thank you* for the nice comments. I haven't been reading
the Usenet group much lately, and it's true that I've spent more time
over on the Dark Side. But even there, I usually respond to posts via
email - Facebook sends me an email every time someone posts on the RPCA
group, and I can comment on the post just by replying to the email. It
gets posted in the right place.

I've gotten really behind on this group - there are about 500 posts I
haven't read yet! I'm about to have a 4-day weekend (Friday is a holiday
in the US, and I decided to treat myself by also taking Monday off, just
because), so maybe I'll have some time to catch up.

Meanwhile, because I haven't been around here much, I never actually
welcomed you back (since your accident). I'm so glad you're OK! It's been
a while since you returned, so it's kind of old news now - I'll just have
to learn all the details as I catch up on old posts. But how crazy is it
that first Boyfie had a serious, life-threatening injury, and then you
did?? Take care of yourselves, both of you!

--
Joyce

Loneliness is comforted by the closeness and touch of fur to fur,
skin to skin, or -- skin to fur. -- Paul Gallico
Old July 4th 14, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Did something happen to her while I was in hospital or what?
Why isn't she posting?
Surely she hasn 't gone over to the social media site entirely?
I always enjoyed Joyce's posts and I really miss her on here. I could
always rely on her for an interesting discussion without acrimony if we
disagreed.

Hey, I'm here! *Thank you* for the nice comments. I haven't been reading
the Usenet group much lately, and it's true that I've spent more time
over on the Dark Side. But even there, I usually respond to posts via
email - Facebook sends me an email every time someone posts on the RPCA
group, and I can comment on the post just by replying to the email. It
gets posted in the right place.

My computer seems to find Facebook hard to handle. It freezes up after I
read a few posts, have to bite the bullet soon and get myself another
better one.
But I would still encourage you to visit and post on the Usenet group as
much as you can otherwise it will die which would be a real pity.

I've gotten really behind on this group - there are about 500 posts I
haven't read yet!

Think yourself lucky, I have 4878 unread..

I'm about to have a 4-day weekend (Friday is a holiday
in the US, and I decided to treat myself by also taking Monday off, just
because), so maybe I'll have some time to catch up.

Oh yes, happy 4th July!

Meanwhile, because I haven't been around here much, I never actually
welcomed you back (since your accident). I'm so glad you're OK! It's been
a while since you returned, so it's kind of old news now - I'll just have
to learn all the details as I catch up on old posts.

I don't think there are many details tbh. Mainly because when I came home I
couldn't do much even to look after myself, let alone sit at the computer
:-(

But how crazy is it
that first Boyfie had a serious, life-threatening injury, and then you
did??

Yes, it's a bit weird isn't it? Lesley's idea was that I must have killed
an albatross in a previous life.
Boyfie has completely recovered but I might never do so. My right hand is
now partially paralysed from the neck injury (and I am right-handed)
Writing with a pen is very difficult and using a knife and fork ditto and
many other things but hey, I guess I was kind of lucky that it wasn't worse.
My neck was partially dislocated as well, and if that vertebrae had slipped
even a tiny bit my surgeon said either I would have been paralysed from the
neck down or it would have been curtains. So he did a very precise and
difficult operation on my C-spine with particular hardware that they can
only get once every two weeks. Unfortunately he failed to tell me that he
was going to do it, so when they came to take my blood test "for your
operation in the morning" I said "I'm not having a operation in the
morning, you have it wrong, it's not me"

They said "oh yes, you are." And I was. I had to be sedated to sleep that
night.

when my surgeon came to see me afterwards he said "sorry I couldn't keep you
in the loop"
And why not, I still ask myself.
Anyway, he is great spinal surgeon but communications need to be inproved in
that hospital. I didn't even know I was going home until the tea lady told
me at 7.30 a.m "You're going home today, aren't you?"
"am I?"
I phoned Claire, who was furious that as my only carer she hadn't been told
either. She phoned the ward and a nurse said "Is this a surprise to you,
then?"
Yes. Both for me and her.
It was an awful experience. Most of the nurses were nice but two weren't.
I was laid flat with a spinal injury and accidentally laid on my emergency
button (get there in 20 mins..) and was told off "this is the second time
you did this and stop doing it"
The other nurse, despite we should have been allowed pain control if we
asked for it, refused. Like she had to pay for it herself!
I hope one day they are in the same situation.

The other nurses were lovely. Particularly Ingrid from Lithuania who did
intimate care with dignity.

I did of course, have to be fed, but a few times my dinner arrived and
no-one to feed me.. The dinner was there by my bed, I could see it and
smell it but no-one came.

anyway I am now at home and can feed myself. I cooked a turkey biryani
with mushrooms, courgettes and other veggies to get me the 5 a day. 3 days
I've been eating it

Take care of yourselves, both of you!

we both try to but sometimes bad things happen to good people and and good
cats.

I am fairly sure we haven't deserved it.

We do try

Old July 5th 14, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

~~~~~~~~
Tweed, I am so glad you provided all this information. I have tried to keep
up with everything, but seeing it all together like this enabled me to get a
better grasp of what you endured. I know it was a terrible ordeal, and I am
glad you have come through it as well as you have. I hope you will
continue. I had a badly sprained right wrist a couple of years ago after I
fell off a step ladder and landed on my forehead, with my wrist bent under
my body. That was such a *tiny* problem compared to what you had(have), but
even that incident showed me how difficult it is to do even the smallest of
movements with a damaged wrist.

And, Joyce...yes, please keep posting. I don't know if you have seen enough
of my messages to know that my wonderful Holly died last summer. I now have
two more rescue cats, Selina and Nikki, and my fantastic little Duffy is now
about 16 years old.

MaryL

Old July 5th 14, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

I can sympathise with all the problems around the hospital stay. Dave had to deal with a nurse who threatened to hit him if he asked for pain relief again- not to mention the insane belief that paracetamol is the only pain killer that works (I seem to recall you'll know about that). When he was first in there, every patient was tucked into adult nappies at the start of the night and encouraged to use them rather than ask a nurse for a bedpan- there's never enough staff on at night or for that matter at the weekends- I once said to the sister "Do they assume people only really get sick 9-5 Monday to Friday?" and she said "Don't get me started"

And as for the discharge - not quite as bad as yours but after a home visit the OT said there were things that needed doing so she'd liaise with our landlord. Dave was due out on the Wednesday so on Tuesday night I said "Goodbye" to a couple of nurses only for them to say he wasn't going home yet. Next morning an age on the phone to find the OT did fax the plans but didn't tell the housing the job was urgent they agreed to get someone round on the Thursday morning who did a great job but since the hospital weren't sure Dave could have come home that afteroon they'd allocated his transport slot to another patient. So he had to stay in Thursday- finally Friday afternoon a single driver came to take Dave and I said "Your mate waiting outside?" And he said he was on his own and I said £Weren't you told our flats on the 1st floor and there's no lift?" Next thing Dave was wheeled back to the ward he'd just left! Lot of talk if they couldn't have sorted it out then there's no service at weekends and he'd have to stay until Monday- we were saved when we went back outside and the driver who brought Dave to his home visit and called him "The man with the cats" was there and he and his mate gave up their tea break yo get Dave home

And the stupid prat seems to be pining for the place right now and determined to get back there. His foot is bad and he's refusing to get the doc in saying "it's getting better"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old July 5th 14, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 7/5/2014 1:09 PM, Lesley wrote:
[...]

Men just don't know how to deal with being ill. Either they insist it's
no big deal, or they think they're dying. At least that's been my
experience. An the same man can do both at different times.

Joy

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old July 6th 14, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

"Bastette" wrote:
Hey, I'm here! *Thank you* for the nice comments. I haven't been reading
the Usenet group much lately, and it's true that I've spent more time
over on the Dark Side. But even there, I usually respond to posts via
email - Facebook sends me an email every time someone posts on the RPCA
group, and I can comment on the post just by replying to the email. It
gets posted in the right place.

Nah. Admit it, you really got shut in somebody's garage while
scrounging for half-eaten burgers in the middle of the night.
Happens to all of us.

Old July 6th 14, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/2/2014 9:54 PM, Bastette wrote:
But even there, I usually respond to posts via
email - Facebook sends me an email every time someone posts on the RPCA
group, and I can comment on the post just by replying to the email. It
gets posted in the right place.

That would drive me insane. I had a FB account very briefly. Now, I'm
not talking specifically about the RPCA group but I was getting emails
every time someone I knew posted *anything*. I get enough email as it
is (and I don't mean spam). I had a heck of a time figuring out how to
turn off all those email notifications (and I'm pretty good with
software). Then they changed the software and I started getting emails
again. At that point I simply deactivated the account. It was too
annoying.

I suppose I *could* set up another email account but I'd really rather
not bother with more than one.

At any rate, I'm glad you're okay.

Jill
Old July 8th 14, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley" wrote in message
I can sympathise with all the problems around the hospital stay. Dave had
to deal with a nurse who threatened to hit him if he asked for pain relief
again-

---
!! This particular nurse didn't threaten to hit me, but merely refused,
like she had to pay for it herself! I guess she'd never had need for pain
relief herself.

not to mention the insane belief that paracetamol is the only pain killer
that works (I seem to recall you'll know
about that).

Yes, somehow they have a belief that paracetamol is mostly all we need.
It's great for headaches but not so good for a broken sternum and ribs (my
neck didn't hurt at that point and my back didn't hurt too much either.)
But once I had my spinal op, I needed morphine which I was allowed to have
every two hours, but no this nurse would make me wait and waitd make me wait
and wait.

When he was first in there, every patient was tucked into adult nappies at

the start of the night and encouraged to use them rather than ask a nurse
for a bedpan- there's never enough staff on at night or for that matter at
the weekends- I once said to the sister "Do they assume people only really
get sick 9-5 Monday to Friday?" and she said "Don't get me started"

I believe you. I was catheterised because of not being allowed to move but
saw patients in my ward ringing for bedpans and being ignored and
eventually having to wee or poo in their bed. The nurses don't mind
clearing it up but the patients do. Because it makes them ashamed.

And the stupid prat seems to be pining for the place right now and
determined to get back there. His foot is bad and he's refusing to get
the doc in saying "it's getting better"

What's the matter with his foot? It's "bad" how?

I do myself try and not go to doctor or hospital if I can avoid it which has
proved to be not a great idea since I could have died or been totally
paralysed from not seeking help.

I'm just like Dave - I always think it will get better but it doesn't hurt
him to have a doctor look at his foot.
You know what happened before, you had social workers crawling all over you
so it would be a good idea to persuade him to let a doctor look at his foot.
Before he *has* to and you're in the spotlight again as being a bad carer.

Tweed

Old July 9th 14, 12:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Jack Campin wrote:

"Bastette" wrote:
Hey, I'm here! *Thank you* for the nice comments. I haven't been reading
the Usenet group much lately, and it's true that I've spent more time
over on the Dark Side. But even there, I usually respond to posts via
email - Facebook sends me an email every time someone posts on the RPCA
group, and I can comment on the post just by replying to the email. It
gets posted in the right place.

Nah. Admit it, you really got shut in somebody's garage while
scrounging for half-eaten burgers in the middle of the night.
Happens to all of us.

Haha! Nothing quite that interesting, I'm afraid. It would be funny to
report that I was shut in someone's garage, and Smudge plus a few friends
came and rescued me a week later.

I seem to have a shorter attention span. FB is good for that because
there's a high image-to-text ratio, and posts are usually short. I hope
it's just a phase, though - I don't want to turn into someone who can't
express ideas that take more than 140 characters.

--
Joyce

May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.

[OT] Ping Joyce Randy Cat anecdotes 6 June 16th 06 07:54 PM
PING Joyce Marina Cat anecdotes 1 May 16th 06 08:05 AM
Where's Joyce? Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 0 January 27th 05 12:24 AM
PING: Joyce Gizela Cat anecdotes 1 October 29th 03 01:12 AM