Considering Radio Iodine Treatment

Old July 7th 03, 08:46 PM

Default Considering Radio Iodine Treatment

I'm about 90% sure this is the way I want to go. My cat was diagnosed
with hyperthyroidism about 3 weeks ago. He has been on Tapazole 2x a
day since then. He hates being pilled, it takes 3 or 4 tries to get
him to take the pill each time. His activity level has gone down
drastically, his toy mouse and brown paper bags just don't grab his
attention anymore. He has vomited a few times, though there were
hairballs in there so that might be the cause. He keeps scratching the
area behind his ears, no ear mites. He's less affectionate. Basically,
he's miserable. Luckily, there's a RADIOCAT about 45 minutes away. And
the cost isn't really an issue because, from what I've read, the pills
and frequent lab tests will cost more in the long run. The only reason
I'm apprehensive about taking him to radiocat is because of the 4 day
stay. He's a terribly shy cat, he hisses and then hides whenever
strangers come into my home. He's only been away from home once. A few
months ago he had to stay overnight in the hospital, and he refused to
eat that entire time. I'm worried he won't eat for the 4 day stay. I'm
also worried that the stress will be too much for him (he also has
herpes, so being at the treatment center will definitely cause a
flare-up). Am I worrying for nothing? I've spent hours browsing these
newsgroups and various web sites and I've read nothing but praise from
people who have chosen I-131. Are there any negative stories in
regards to this treatment?
Old July 7th 03, 10:48 PM
Helen

"L" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Yes, it can unmask hidden kidney failure. See:

http://www.felinecrf.org/related_diseases.htm#HyperT1
Treatments

Helen

Old July 8th 03, 01:44 AM
Phil P.

"L" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Hyperthyroidism can mask chronic renal failure in cats with underlying
disease by increasing renal blood flow and glomerular filtration rate.

Before considering I-131 tx, I'd continue with a reversible therapy
(Tapazole, Carbimazole) for a couple of months and closely monitor his
kidney function (BUN/creatinine). If his kidney function remains stable
while receiving the medication, then you could consider irreversible I-131.
If his kidney function begins to deteriorate, the medication can be
decreased so that he's left mildly hyperthyroid. In the event of declining
kidney function, I-131 would not be a good idea.

Good luck.

Phil

Old July 8th 03, 04:29 AM

There's a group on yahoo for people with
cats suffering from hyperT
You may get more info there...
Also, post in alt.med.veterinary
Few vets over there may be able to discuss it
with you.
You should discuss your concerns with the doctors
you believe would be doing the treatment. See what
they have to say, and how you feel about them.
None of my cats are top candidates for "laid back"
approach to staying at the vet's, and one will
without a doubt go on a hunger strike. However,
they survive that, and sometimes we have to put
them through it in order to give them proper care.
If the cat checks out, if the treatment does
seem the best in the end, the 4 days will pass,
the cat will get through it:-)

Old July 8th 03, 07:57 PM
Barb 1

My Pepper isn't thrilled about being pilled, either. At first I had to wear
two pairs of gardening gloves and use a piller. Eventually I tried crushing
the pill and putting it in some hairball medication which cats love. She
got sick of that, though. Then I went back to pilling and Pepper got used
to it, sort of. Then the vet decreased her dosage and now I've been
managing to stick the pill inside a little meat or chicken piece. I give
her a piece and then the 2nd piece has the pill stuck in there.

Barb