Homecoming purrs for Rosie, please

Old December 30th 03, 03:32 AM
Hans Schrøder

"Stacey" wrote in message
Actually, I would have read that and cared less *why* you couldn't get up
the driveway. All that would have mattered to me was that you did get up

the
driveway, and safely. ~~~ But then again, I'm one of those people who'd
probably purr or even gasp pray for you to safely get up the driveway,

so
what do I know.

I see what you mean... It took me some thinking to figure it out, but it was
a good thought. Thank you, Stacey! :-)

Hans

Old December 30th 03, 07:23 AM
Yoj

"Hans Schrøder" wrote in message

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message

Hans,
Perhaps it would help you with your control problem to understand

that you
may making assumptions that do not entirely fit the circumstances.
I was not concerned that Rosie climbed a tree and jumped onto the

roof.
In
fact, I was happy to know that she had such abilities should she

need
them,
as well as for her entertainment.
My main concern was that Rosie would not stay put under the deck

after it
got dark. We have coyotes here and they consider cats a gourmet

item. I
suppose, if I lived in your world, I would just accept that it is as

normal
for a coyote to eat a cat as it is for the cat to climb a tree and

jump
onto
the neighbor's roof, etc., and not bother to get Rosie home. After

all,
cats
will be cats, and coyotes will be coyotes, right?

How could I smell the coyotes in your area? You never mentioned that

in your
first posting, and me, luckily living in Norway, have never seen a

coyote
around here... So if you want people to concern the circumstances, you
better point them out, before you attack me.

She isn't the one who did the attacking. She merely defended herself
against your attack. You won't get so many of what you consider attacks
if you stop being so quick to criticize instead of trying to understand.

Joy

Old December 30th 03, 07:27 AM
Yoj

"Hans Schrøder" wrote in message
wrote in message

Really, you are incredibly defensive. If someone explains what's

going
on in their situation in a gentle way (she did not attack you),

maybe you
should listen to what she says and consider whether it might be

true,
instead of leaping to say it's not your fault, etc.

I know you probably won't listen to this, either, but I just had to

say
it. I'm done now!

That's what you think...

Let's try an experiment:
You are the reader of this, and you live on one of the warmest islands

in
the Pacific:

"Last night, I had the most traumatic experience. I had been been out

with
some friends, and returned home about 1 AM. When I drove up the road

to our
house, I saw that I didn't have a chance to get the car up the

driveway to
the house. So, I had to park almost in the middle of the road.

I got out of the car, and started to walk the 100 yards up to the

house.
Suddenly I stumbled and fell over, not being able to get up again. The

more
I tried, the more difficult it got to put one foot in front of the

other. So
I fell down again, just hoping that somebody passed to help me up and

get me
home.

After ten minutes, my wife came out and saw our car in the middle of

the
road, and started calling. I answered here, and she came down and

helped my
get in, and surely, she saved my life."

That was the story. The Pacific reader, I guess, would assume that I

had
been to drunk to get up, and not to mention, drive a car, but the

solution
is much simpler (when you know the circumstances):

It had been one of _those_ nights in Norway, with a temperature around

14F
(-10C) and a heavy snowfall. Our driveway was so packed with snow that

it
was impossible to get in there with a car. So when I started to walk,

you
must concider the fact that I didn't wear winter shoes, just some

thin-soled
party shoes. I was going to drive home anyway, see? But it was so

slippery
because of the ice in the driveway that I couldn't stand on my feet,

no
matter how hard I tried! And I was sober as a newborn kitty!

So when my wife found me, I was really cold, and if I had been laying

there
for two more hours, I would possibly be dead.

All right, what's the point?

Well, if you think our friend in the Pacific would understand all

these
circumstances from his part of the world, just assuming "Ah, there

must have
been snow", when he didn't even know I was living in Norway, he would

have
to be clairvoyant beyond my imagination!

See?
Hans

I live in Southern California, but I would not have immediately jumped
to conclusions and criticized you for being "falling down drunk".
Instead, if the idea of snow and ice hadn't occurred to me (which it
did), I would have thought that perhaps you had some physical disability
that made it difficult for you to walk. In other words, I would have
given you the benefit of the doubt. I suggest you do the same with
posts you don't understand.

Joy

Old December 30th 03, 10:04 AM
Yowie

wrote in message

[...]

Err, no. The point would be this group saying to you something along the
lines of "Gosh, I'm glad your wife got to you in time to save your life!"
because we would genuinely care about you and your wellbeing, and would not
judging you by our pre-conceived ideas of how you may have come into that
circumstance. Some may quietly think to themselves "hah! I bet he was
drunk!" but even if they did, they would *still* be glad glad your wife got
you off the road, and would be completely sincere in saying so.

Obviously Annie, the original poster, was concerned for her cat. She wasn't
asking for advice or opinions as to whether it was normal behaviour for her
cat to be doing what it was doing. You didn't need to know what the
circumstances were, or whether her concern for her cat was, in your opinion,
warranted or not. The whole point of her post was "I'm worried about a
creature I love", and anyone with an ounce of compassion would have
recognised that concern and tried to reassure. "Purrs and/or prayers" are
obviously not going to do anything on a practical level to make her cat come
back, but they would and did help Annie's anxiety, and reassure her that
there are people who both understand her worry regarding her cat and that we
would like to help in any way we can. Emotional support, when we can do
nothing on a practical level, is what people do for each other when they
genuinely care about the other person.

What you have demonstrated is a complete lack of understanding, compassion
and empathy towards a person who was seeking not practical solutions but
emotional support in a time of stress. Assuming you have parents whom you
love, on their death I will be more than happy to remind you that your
parent's death is simply a result of their earlier birth date and limited
lifepspan, and that your grief, anguish and pain is completley inappropriate
response to something you knew to be inevitable anyway. I trust that you
will thank me for this logical reminder of the facts of life and cease any
emotional response to their death immediately. Other people, I'd offer
condolences to, I'd make them a card, I'd ring them to see if they were OK,
I'd reassure them that their emotions are valid and natural part of the
grieving process. I'd send flowers, give hugs, let them know I'm there for
them and otherwise support them as their heart healed. But clearly you won't
have a need of these small "useless" gestures that most human beings offer
to each other when they sense emotional distress in another, and that you'll
get on with your life as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

Any emotional response, clearly, is quite outside your life experience. I'd
express my pity for you, but that of course is inappropriate too. Life must
be very confusing for a Vulcan on Earth.

Yowie

Old December 30th 03, 08:35 PM
Steve Touchstone

Well, let's say that you had posted your hypothetical story, leaving
out any mention the snow and ice, just saying how thankful you were
that your wife found you in time. In some NGs you might be slammed by
some who didn't stop to think, but in this group I'd expect readers to
send hugs, purrs and *gasp* prayers of thanks that your wife found
you in time.

Our hypothetical Pacific Island friend might not think of snow and
ice keeping you from getting up the driveway, but in this group I'd
expect him to send his thanks that you were okay, and maybe ask what
caused your problem. What I wouldn't expect would be for him to jump
to the conclusion that you were drunk and proceed to lecture you on
the evils of drunk driving. Any such lecture would, without a doubt,
result in several other posters coming to your defense. It wouldn't
help our hypothetical friend to come back and complain that the
original post didn't mention the cause of the problem.

Getting back to the OP, this group is very diverse and our cats live
in all different kinds of environments, pretty much all around the
world. Some are lucky enough to live in an area where the cats can be
in no danger outside, some live in small apartments surrounded by busy
traffic, and as you have learned, some, like Annie's Rosie, live where
coyotes are a very real danger. I can come up with several reasons,
having nothing to do with coyotes and weather, why some in this group
would be worried if their cat was outside. In this NG, our custom is
to send purrs when requested, to reassure whoever requested them that,
while we may be on opposite sides of the globe, and unable to help in
any physical sense, they're in our thoughts while they cope with
whatever it is they're going through.

Anyway, IMHO, this thread has gone on long enough. No reply to this
post is expected, as I'm sure the customs of this NG have been stated
by others, better than my own attempt.

Hans, another quaint custom in this NG is the exchange of recipes when
an obvious troll posts, or when a thread goes on too long and starts
to sound like a fight between kids. I think this thread fast
approaching, or has already reached that point.

'nuf said
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Old December 31st 03, 01:13 PM
JP Hobbs

they're on the way Annie, big ones from Jean and Wilson. Jean P.
Annie Wxill wrote in message
Today, during her outdoor adventure, Rosie climbed a tree and onto the
neighbor's roof. (I was inside reading newsgroups, bad Mowmie).
Jim and I managed to get her down and into her carry case, but she was so
scared and she somehow opened the zipper and squeezed out and ran away

from
us and under their deck.
I suspect she'll stay there a while because it has begun to rain fairly
heavily.
Soo, could we please have some soothing purrs for Rosie and guiding purrs

send her back over the fence to her own home?
Thanks,
Annie

Old December 31st 03, 02:23 PM
Annie Wxill

"JP Hobbs" wrote in message
they're on the way Annie, big ones from Jean and Wilson. Jean P.

Thanks, Jean.
I managed to lure her out with some food. The adventure must have worn her
out. She slept really well all night and most of the day.
Annie