So my brother can't take care of Persia...

Old March 10th 04, 06:08 AM
jmcquown

Default So my brother can't take care of Persia...

He says, and I quote, "I don't think I'll be able to take care of Persia.
Sorry. There just isn't enough room for Peaches' cage and a litter box."

EXCUSE ME? He's got a 3 bedroom house! I live in an apartment. I make
room for both. Hello? What's the deal about room for a litter box? Oh,
maybe you just don't want to clean it even though I'm bringing all the
supplies, bags, etc.

Okay, fine... I'll take both Persia and Peaches the lovebird to stay with
VetPets for my trip, where they have an avian vet too; vets for all animals.
I'm sure they will make them both feel welcome.

And see if I have "room" for his parakeet the next time he goes out of town.
Or take in his friggin mail or water his plants or anything else. *******o!

Jill (gotta love family)

Old March 10th 04, 06:53 AM
Yowie

"jmcquown" wrote in message
He says, and I quote, "I don't think I'll be able to take care of Persia.
Sorry. There just isn't enough room for Peaches' cage and a litter box."

EXCUSE ME? He's got a 3 bedroom house! I live in an apartment. I make
room for both. Hello? What's the deal about room for a litter box? Oh,
maybe you just don't want to clean it even though I'm bringing all the
supplies, bags, etc.

Okay, fine... I'll take both Persia and Peaches the lovebird to stay with
VetPets for my trip, where they have an avian vet too; vets for all

animals.
I'm sure they will make them both feel welcome.

And see if I have "room" for his parakeet the next time he goes out of

town.
Or take in his friggin mail or water his plants or anything else.

*******o!

I'm sorry your brother let you down, Jill. however, with his attitude
perhaps Persia and Peaches would be better off at Vetpets where the staff
know and understand pet's needs and can look after them properly.

Purrs that things work out OK for everyone, winged, pawed, and thumbed :-)

Yowie

Old March 10th 04, 08:48 AM
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
He says, and I quote, "I don't think I'll be able to take care of Persia.
Sorry. There just isn't enough room for Peaches' cage and a litter box."

EXCUSE ME? He's got a 3 bedroom house! I live in an apartment. I make
room for both. Hello? What's the deal about room for a litter box? Oh,
maybe you just don't want to clean it even though I'm bringing all the
supplies, bags, etc.

Okay, fine... I'll take both Persia and Peaches the lovebird to stay with
VetPets for my trip, where they have an avian vet too; vets for all

animals.
I'm sure they will make them both feel welcome.

And see if I have "room" for his parakeet the next time he goes out of

town.
Or take in his friggin mail or water his plants or anything else.

*******o!

Jill (gotta love family)

I agree completely with what Yowie wrote. With that attitude, I would be
fearful that your brother would not provide proper care even if he did agree
to take care of Persia and Peaches. My own preference would be to have a
professional petsitter come into my home (which is what I did last summer),
but I understand from your earlier messages that you do not want to permit
anyone else into your home. So, VetPets sounds like a good option.

MaryL

Old March 10th 04, 09:07 AM
jmcquown

MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I know, Mary, you say they are licensed and bonded and all that. But I just
don't want strangers to have keys to my home. That makes me very nervous.
I have been home sick the last few days and I have to say I was surprised
when my neighbor knocked on my door to ask, "I've noticed your car here,
you're usually gone before I am, just wanted to see if you were home and if
you are okay." Yeah... we aren't "friends" per se, so if she notices a
pattern, who else might? Someone with a key, perhaps? Friends of a
'bonded' person with a key?

Now I'm wondering, should I take a cab to the airport and leave my car here
or leave my parking spot vacant for a week. Any wonder why I don't
travel?!!

But this trip... oh this trip... I must go G Sorry sweet purring Persia!
Sorry birdy Peaches. I have to do this.

Jill

Old March 10th 04, 10:18 AM
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

Now I'm wondering, should I take a cab to the airport and leave my car

here
or leave my parking spot vacant for a week. Any wonder why I don't
travel?!!

Jill

In the past when I travelled with Holly (that was before I adopted Duffy and
began to use a petsitter for the two cats), I had a friend who would come to
the house to make it look "lived in." I had mail held at the post office,
but he would pick up newspapers and check to make sure not mail had been
left in the box despite my paperwork. He even put some trash out for the
weekly pickup. Do you know anyone who might be willing to do things like
that for you? Even without a key to the house, it helps to make sure there
are no little items outside (like a newspaper) that would give away the fact
that you are not home.

MaryL

Old March 10th 04, 10:35 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

In the past when I travelled with Holly (that was before I adopted Duffy and
began to use a petsitter for the two cats), I had a friend who would come to
the house to make it look "lived in." I had mail held at the post office,
but he would pick up newspapers and check to make sure not mail had been
left in the box despite my paperwork. He even put some trash out for the
weekly pickup. Do you know anyone who might be willing to do things like
that for you? Even without a key to the house, it helps to make sure there
are no little items outside (like a newspaper) that would give away the fact
that you are not home.

MaryL

Cultivating a good relationship with neighbours is a Good Thing. You don't have
to be best buddies, and you don't have to be in each other's pockets, but it
pays dividends when you can build up trust. I've had *bad* neighbours before
now - read *evil* neighbours and know the benefit of having good ones. Where I
live now I have excellent neighbours. If they go away anywhere, we keep an eye
on their place. If we go away - they keep a watchful eye on mine. Plus, one of
Nathan's friend's mum will come in and check on the cats daily - do the food,
water & litter box stuff and water my plants in pots & hanging baskets thing.
That way, I *know* the cats are fine and the house is fine. In return - if said
neighbours or friends require said favour from me, I'm happy to oblige.

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old March 10th 04, 01:12 PM
badwilson

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

That sucks that your brother let you down, Jill. But I agree with the
others, with that attitude Persia and Peaches are better off at VetPets.
Do you live in a high crime area? I feel incredibly lucky to be able to
travel as much as we do and not have to worry about anything. We have even
gone away for 3 weeks and left the house unlocked because the maid was still
cleaning. She locked up for us, but comes in twice a day for Vino anyway
while we're gone.
I guess Thailand is a really safe country. I feel like I could walk down
the darkest alley at night alone in Bangkok with no worries. Couldn't do
that back home in Vancouver! One time I forgot my purse at a restaurant.
It had my digital camera, cell phone, house keys, wallet with ID with
address and $100 in it. It took me 1.5 hours to realize my purse was gone
and to return to the restaurant. They recognized me right away and handed
me my purse which was duct taped up in thick plastic. I opened it and every
single thing was there. It would have been so easy for some waiter or
waitress to sell my stuff on the street in Bangkok. And so tempting,
considering they make about $150/month. In Canada it would have been
gone...
--
Britta
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Old March 10th 04, 02:14 PM
jmcquown

Christine Burel wrote:
Well, sounds like your critters will definitely be better off at the
vets. Christine

Yes, I think so. My brother is very selfish. No room for a litter box...
hell he has 2 bathrooms and two extra bedrooms and a long hallway, if
nothing else. And he's the one always said he wanted a cat. But when he
got a kitten he gave her away because he has a parakeet. Rather than train
the kitten to ignore the bird, he gave her away. Never even gave it a
month's chance.

I've had Persia for 3 years; she wasn't a kitten; she was probably 2 years
old. I taught her with a spray bottle to leave my parakeets alone. Kept
her locked in the bedroom with toys for a while, until I knew I could trust
her to leave my birds alone.

Now, with Peaches, Persia doesn't give her a second glance unless she
startles her out of a sound sleep with a loud chirp. And then she just
looks up and goes "Oh, it's that damned bird again." LOL

My family is just weird.

Jill

Old March 10th 04, 03:28 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Before my mother moved into her apartment last fall, from her house with .8
acre partially wooded yard, (no, she didn't HAVE to move - she wanted to:
she got tired of the yardwork & gutter cleaning (she's 71) and rambling
around in a 3-bedroom house all by herself), whenever she would travel,
someone would take her to the airport (family member or a friend), leaving
her car buttoned up in the garage... but there were a couple of neighbors
that she trusted that had keys to her house, she would stop mail & newspaper
delivery (it's a small town so it's easy to remember things like that), and
to top it off, another neighbor would park his car/truck in her driveway to
give the appearance of someone being there. And of course I had keys as
well and stopped by to check things every couple of days, and if she was
gone longer than one week, would get her car out & drive it around (last
time I did that, one of the newer neighbors that didn't know me, but knew my
mom's car, gave me some really funny looks as I drove past (I half expected
the cops to be pulling me over as I drove through town running a few
errands) - but then they were told by another neighbor who I was )

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

"jmcquown" wrote in message