Saw the House episode!

Old March 19th 09, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Saw the House episode!

outsider wrote:

Anyway, I was saying this sort of stuff on the other newsgroup, and I
got a lecture from someone who said that the "good" doctor (facing off
against out-of-touch administrators, bean counters, corrupt/greedy
doctors, etc) is a show that's been done to death for decades and this
is a refreshing change. Refreshing for whom?

Fine on bad doctor but none of the characters are half believable on this
show. It is LCD television [lowest common denominator]. Just enough
writting effort so every viewer does not bail but not a bit more.

It's only fine on the bad doctor because Hugh Laurie is talented. I
like Omar Epps, too, at least he has some charisma. Can't stand the woman
who has a crush on House and lets him say really nasty things to her,
while she just stands there with a hangdog look. Ugh!

I guess I'm taking all this a bit personally, aren't I? Considering
it's a show I've more or less given up on, except when there are cute
cats on it.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old March 20th 09, 11:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

m...

jmcquown wrote:
wrote in message
Jofirey wrote:

We decided that this show is really about a dysfunctional,
abusive family masquerading as a hospital.

I think that's how the writers think of it too. Really, would a group
of people who are not family put up with this crap from each other?

My sister is a physician's assistant and she hates this show, because
in real life no hospital administration would put up with that kind of
behavior from a doctor, no matter how brilliant he/she was.

--
Joyce ^..^

LOL But it's television! Try to make a hit TV show out of a day in the
life of... well, just about anyone. It's probably pretty dull stuff

The crime shows are equally unrealistic. (You should hear my fellow
resident's take on the various incarnations of "CSI" - he used to work for
a REAL Medical Examiner's office!)

Somehow I doubt if I was murdered the crime scene techs would all be
beautiful people with perfect hair and perfect teeth LOL

Jill

Old March 20th 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

outsider wrote:
wrote in
:

jmcquown wrote:

My sister is a physician's assistant and she hates this show,
because in real life no hospital administration would put up with
that kind of behavior from a doctor, no matter how brilliant he/she
was.
LOL But it's television! Try to make a hit TV show out of a day in
the life of... well, just about anyone. It's probably pretty dull
stuff

A few months ago I posted to a TV newsgroup (don't remember which one)
with essentially the same points about House - that it's really an
abusive family that pretends to be a hospital, and that I can't stand
how his staff suck up to him and spend their precious energy and
intellects trying to figure him out. What will House say next? Does he
*really* not care about people? Blah, blah, blah. When they do this,
they just encourage his narcissism. It's like how abused wives and
children obsess about their abuser with a combination of fear and
fascination. Oppressed people often admire their oppressors. After
all, those are the people with power, and power is attractive.

Yeah, yeah, it's just a TV show. But I grew up with a narcissistic
dad, so I guess this dynamic hits a little close to home.

Anyway, I was saying this sort of stuff on the other newsgroup, and I
got a lecture from someone who said that the "good" doctor (facing off
against out-of-touch administrators, bean counters, corrupt/greedy
doctors, etc) is a show that's been done to death for decades and this
is a refreshing change. Refreshing for whom?

Fine on bad doctor but none of the characters are half believable on this
show. It is LCD television [lowest common denominator]. Just enough
writting effort so every viewer does not bail but not a bit more.

And of course, they NEVER have a patient with any simple, everyday ailment!
Old March 20th 09, 08:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:
m...

jmcquown wrote:
wrote in message
Jofirey wrote:

[...]

Nor would they have all the latest expensive equipment, or employ all
the latest available technology. (Especially in today's economy, where
most government agencies are experiencing severe budget cuts!)
Old March 20th 09, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

Somehow I doubt if I was murdered the crime scene techs would all be
beautiful people with perfect hair and perfect teeth LOL

Nor would they have all the latest expensive equipment, or employ all
the latest available technology. (Especially in today's economy, where
most government agencies are experiencing severe budget cuts!)

Agreed on both. But it's still fun to watch. I like the Vegas one the
best, although it will probably be less interesting now that the main
character has left the show. The Miami one is OK, but what's his name
(red-headed guy) can be very irritating. How does he keep getting roles??
He's almost as bad as Vincent D'Onofrio. (Who I thought was fabulous
as the interstellar cockroach in Men in Black, but his career has been
downhill ever since. ) I forget how many other CSI's there are. There's
the one with Gary Sinese. Is all of them, or is there a 4th one?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old March 20th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Vincent D'Onofrio is on Law & Order: Criminal Intent. (Are there enough of
those shows, ya think? Now they're going to add Jeff Goldblum; I really
dislike him.)

There's the original CSI in Las Vegas (with William Petersen as Gil Grissom,
but he left the show. CSI: Miami (I really don't like David Caruso, always
whipping off his sunglasses, staring off into the distance trying to look
cool). The newest is CSI: NY with Gary Senise. Senise is a fine actor,
IMHO, so I think this is rather beneath him.

And once again they're all "beautiful people" who wouldn't show up at the
scene of my untimely death. LOL

Jill

Old March 21st 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

Agreed on both. But it's still fun to watch. I like the Vegas one the
best, although it will probably be less interesting now that the main
character has left the show. The Miami one is OK, but what's his name
(red-headed guy) can be very irritating. How does he keep getting roles??
He's almost as bad as Vincent D'Onofrio. (Who I thought was fabulous
as the interstellar cockroach in Men in Black, but his career has been
downhill ever since. ) I forget how many other CSI's there are. There's
the one with Gary Sinese. Is all of them, or is there a 4th one?

Vincent D'Onofrio is on Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

Oh, I know. I just think he's an extremely annoying actor, at least on
that show. His speech affectations for that character (that "halting"
thing he does) totally grate on me.

Now they're going to add Jeff Goldblum; I really dislike him.)

Oh, I sort of like him. He was very amusing in Jurassic Park, I thought.

CSI: Miami (I really don't like David Caruso, always
whipping off his sunglasses, staring off into the distance trying to look
cool).

LOL, exactly. (That's the "red-headed guy" I was referring to - couldn't
remember his name.) He's always played unsavory types. Now he's trying to
play a good guy, but he still comes across as creepy. When he tries to
act "compassionate" I'm thinking No, just stop. Give it up. He also has
annoying speech affectations and that's why I mentioned D'Onofrio.

(And why does every show based in Miami have to include irrelevant shots
of bikini'ed butts? Even "Animal Cops: Miami" does it!)

And once again they're all "beautiful people" who wouldn't show up at the
scene of my untimely death. LOL

I wouldn't say that applies to Caruso. But yeah, everyone else.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old March 21st 09, 09:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
:

outsider wrote:

Fine on bad doctor but none of the characters are half believable on
this show. It is LCD television [lowest common denominator]. Just
enough writting effort so every viewer does not bail but not a bit
more.

And of course, they NEVER have a patient with any simple, everyday
ailment!

AND House never figures out what is really wrong until he is about to have
some surgeon remove a patients whatever and then his doctor friend says "I
don't like monster trucks" House: AHAA! Trucks! The patient has athletes
foot!