Jack's stomatitis

Old April 7th 10, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Jack's stomatitis

"Juls xx" wrote in message
On Apr 6, 11:20 pm, "Bill Graham" wrote:

We have an ex feral with almost no teeth.....He seems to do fine if we
feed
him food that is either mashed up, or in very small pieces. Cats don't
really chew anyway, so if they swallow their food whole, it's OK as long
as
the pieces are small. In the wild they will tear off pieces of food from
their prey, and swallow it whole anyway. We feed Smokey cut-up roasted
chicken and he loves it......

That's good to know. I was surprised at how well he did after he lost
the first round of teeth. Once he healed, you wouldn't have known. Did
Smokey lose his teeth due to stomatitis?

No, he just lost them from age, and eating out of garbage cans and the like
from kittenhood.....After we got him, he began to see a vet regularly, and
pulling his rotten teeth was one of the first things we had done.......

Old April 8th 10, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Juls xx

Just a quick update...Jack saw the doctor today and she said the
inside of his mouth was full of pus pockets.
He had lost three pounds, and that concerned her (though he had lost
three pounds when he had this the first time)

He got a giant shot of steroid and an antibiotic that lasts for two
weeks so I don't have to medicate him. He also had his blood drawn,
and no fever. I'll find out on the blood tomorrow, and am hopeful
there's nothing there.

By the time we got home from the vet, he was purring and happy to get
home. He headed straight for the food and had a nice plate of chicken
and rice plus a bite of ground turkey I made him. He's really, really
hungry and all day he's been asking for food, but he sniffs it and
then walks away. I've tried everything from more turkey, his chicken
and rice dinner, mushed up hard food, mushed up chicken and rice, and
even straight tuna. No interest, yet he's hungry.

Then he did eat three cat treats at a time a couple of different
times. Oddly, he chooses the hard treats over the soft. He's also gone
back to his bowl a couple of times and had a bite or two of canned
food. So he's eating at least. Nothing like usual - usually he has a
hollow leg and would eat all day and night if I'd feed him.

But he's definitely feeling better...it's amazing how quickly that
steroid worked to help him. So for now, just wait on the blood tests
and then a follow up and probably another dental procedure. I suspect
when he's under, he'll lose the rest of his teeth.
Old April 8th 10, 06:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paul M. Cook[_2_]

"Juls xx" wrote in message
I just remembered a ziploc bag of turkey meat in the freezer, so I got
a little piece of that. The only broth I had was also frozen, but I
had Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup. I added a little broth from that
can and ground up the turkey in the blender. HE LOVED IT. He only had
one bite, but at least it's a little something.

If he'll eat it, that bag of turkey has his name on it now.

Try baby food.

Paul

Old April 8th 10, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 22:28:07 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

"Juls xx" wrote in message
I just remembered a ziploc bag of turkey meat in the freezer, so I got
a little piece of that. The only broth I had was also frozen, but I
had Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup. I added a little broth from that
can and ground up the turkey in the blender. HE LOVED IT. He only had
one bite, but at least it's a little something.

If he'll eat it, that bag of turkey has his name on it now.

Try baby food.

Paul

Baby food without onions of course.
Old April 9th 10, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Juls xx

wrote:

"Juls xx" wrote in message
I just remembered a ziploc bag of turkey meat in the freezer, so I got
a little piece of that. The only broth I had was also frozen, but I
had Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup. I added a little broth from that
can and ground up the turkey in the blender. HE LOVED IT. He only had
one bite, but at least it's a little something.

If he'll eat it, that bag of turkey has his name on it now.

Try baby food.

Paul

Baby food without onions of course.

I only learned this today!!!

Update from today: Jack is definitely feeling a bit better, and today
he ate a couple of bites of chicken, almost an entire jar of pea baby
food (he didn't like the chicken, but he always loved peas and really
loved this), a couple of treats and some raw ground round. I wasn't
thinking, and had forgotten that his absolute favorite is raw ground
beef (either sirloin, chuck or round....not regular ground beef
because of e coli). I only give him a bite when I'm making a meatloaf
or something, which isn't often.

So when I remembered that, I ran to the store and got a pound. LOL And
he devoured it. Ate a couple of tablespoons. Right now, I'm worrying
less about *what* he's eating than just getting him to eat. I'm going
to try to put both Jack and his sister on a raw diet, and tomorrow
have plans to get some Bravo chicken.

Jack's bloodwork all came back fine....I was relieved. I also asked
the vet (per a friend's idea) for some pain killer. Forgot the name,
but it seems to have helped as well.

In about a week, he'll go for another dental and I suppose lose the
rest of his teeth. I'm gonna call him my gummer.

Here's Jack's special story of how he came to me, via this very
newsgroup. Some of the links are dead because I haven't updated it,
but it has the relevant info plus a picture of Jack (the gray one) and
the very special Dmitri (passed in 2005...I can't believe it's coming
up on five years)

http://www.ect.org/dj/
Old April 9th 10, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

wrote:

"Juls xx" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, I didn't know the story. Thanks for posting it.

I'm glad the bloodwork is fine. I had a cat that had to have all her
teeth removed and it really helped her. With wet food it doesn't seem
to matter much at all, and she even ate some dry food. If that's
what's necessary, worry about paying for it but Jack should be fine.