[OT] My Bikey!

Old June 26th 05, 08:22 PM
CatNipped

Default [OT] My Bikey!

Two weeks ago I bought an odometer for my bikey (OK, I now have an odometer,
an oo-ga oo-ga horn, a bottle holder, a halogen headlight, a red flashing
tail light, reflectors, and sling my fanny pack with wallet (in case I get
in an accident, I'll have ID) and my cell phone over the handle bars - I'm
starting to look like a one-man traveling band!! ;). The odometer now
reads 201 miles traveled!!!! [It's pretty neat, it tells time, shows speed,
distance, duration, lowest speed, highest speed, and average speed.]

I got the headlight and tail light so I could start riding at night because
the heat is just too horrendous here (and we're in the midst of a drought) -
my kidneys are starting to hurt even though I try to keep myself hydrated
while I ride). The big disadvantage to riding at night is that I have to
keep my mouth tightly closed or I'll end up swallowing a bug (how do you
know when a motorcycle rider is happy? count the number of bugs in his
teeth!).

It's getting to the point where I get antsy the closer it gets to the time I
usually ride, I can't wait - I think I'm getting hooked on endorphins! For
the first 5 miles I feel sluggish and like I'm making an effort, but the
last 10 - 15 miles are just plain fun - I have to make myself stop.

The next thing I want to get is a rear-view mirror and a turn signal (people
just don't know what hand signals mean any more!). The fibro makes my neck
really stiff and when I try to look behind me before making a left-hand turn
(I hate jerks in cars who fly past you on the left doing 60MPH in a 20MPH
subdivision!) it tends to make my arms turn also so my bike starts going
left before I intend it to - I almost rode into the path of an on-coming car
the other day because of this.

But DH says if I attach one more thing to my bike he won't be seen in public
with me (yeah like he rides with me all that often now!)! ;

Quick survey for those who ride bikes - how many attachments to you have?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 26th 05, 08:46 PM
Jo Firey

I had an odometer, water bottle, gel seat, rear view mirror and fanny pack.
And tire patch kit. Covered a little over 600 miles the last summer I rode.
I had a local map and marked off the places I'd been with a highlighter.

Jo

Old June 26th 05, 08:49 PM
Mary

"CatNipped" wrote

The big disadvantage to riding at night is that I have to
keep my mouth tightly closed or I'll end up swallowing a bug (how do you
know when a motorcycle rider is happy? count the number of bugs in his
teeth!).

Now, here, my friend, you are in real danger! lol! Just as I would be.
Keeping my mouth shut has never been my strong suit.

It's getting to the point where I get antsy the closer it gets to the time

usually ride, I can't wait - I think I'm getting hooked on endorphins!

For
the first 5 miles I feel sluggish and like I'm making an effort, but the
last 10 - 15 miles are just plain fun - I have to make myself stop.

Wonderful. I am not getting the exercise I should, and I need to. I
recall how good it felt to really get the heart pumping on a regular
basis.

Old June 26th 05, 08:53 PM
CatNipped

"Mary" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote

The big disadvantage to riding at night is that I have to
keep my mouth tightly closed or I'll end up swallowing a bug (how do you
know when a motorcycle rider is happy? count the number of bugs in his
teeth!).

Now, here, my friend, you are in real danger! lol! Just as I would be.
Keeping my mouth shut has never been my strong suit.

ROTFLMAOWTIME! Guilty as charged! ;

It's getting to the point where I get antsy the closer it gets to the

time
usually ride, I can't wait - I think I'm getting hooked on endorphins!

For
the first 5 miles I feel sluggish and like I'm making an effort, but the
last 10 - 15 miles are just plain fun - I have to make myself stop.

Wonderful. I am not getting the exercise I should, and I need to. I
recall how good it felt to really get the heart pumping on a regular
basis.

I had to find something that was "fun" rather than a "I have to" chore. I'm
glad I picked the bicycle because it takes me back to when I was a kid and
riding my bike was strictly for fun and not for fitness.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 26th 05, 09:03 PM
W. Leong

I don't even want to go out whenever the temperature or humidex goes up to
above 30C, let alone exercise. Same applies when it
goes down to -30C.

I live in a highrise with AC in the hallways. So I can do my
'hall walk' and up and down the stairs. If I get too tired in the
process, I can always summon the elevators to take me home.
No need to get any exercise gears or carry my wallet, just a good pair of
shoes and my door key. Even blackouts won't be a problem
as the stairs and hallways have emergency lightings.

There are treadmills and exercise bike in the building,
but I found hall walks much less boring. I got to admire my neighbours door
decorations. Also got to know who have cats
by the signs on their doors.

Winnie

Old June 26th 05, 09:13 PM
Mary

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote

[...]

But you live in HOUSTON!! It may be fun but if I recall those drivers
correctly, you had better be careful!

Old June 26th 05, 09:32 PM
CatNipped

"Mary" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote

[...]

I'm lucky in that I live in a very large and sprawling subdivision in Spring
(just north of the city of Houston). I can ride for miles and miles without
ever getting on a highway. However, as I wrote in my first note, that still
leaves the @$$holes who drive 60MPH in a 20MPH subdivision and speed past
you on the left without even slowing down. When I'm making a left turn I'll
use a left-hand-turn hand signal, but I never assume that the nut-job behind
me will know what that means and wait for me to turn left before speeding
past me on the left. I either wait until they pass me, or make sure they're
slowing down and waiting for me to turn. Which is a general rule-of-thumb*
when driving *any* vehicle in Houston - *ALWAYS* assume that every other
driver on the road is either insane or intoxicated (and often is both) and
compensate accordingly!

* Trivia question... I hate this expression, "Rule of Thumb" - does anyone
else know where this expression came from?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 26th 05, 11:01 PM
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote

[...]

The expression rule of thumb has been recorded since 1692 and probably wasn'
t new then. It meant then what it means now-some method or procedure that
comes from practice or experience, without any formal basis. Some have tried
to link it with brewing; in the days before thermometers, brewers were said
to have gauged the temperature of the fermenting liquor with the thumb (just
as mothers for generations have tested the temperature of the baby's bath
water with their elbows). This seems unlikely, as the thumb is not that
sensitive and the range of temperatures for fermentation between too cool
and too warm is quite small.

It is much more likely that it comes from the ancient use of bits of the
body to make measurements. There were once many of these: the unit of the
foot comes from pacing out dimensions; the distance from the tip of the nose
to the outstretched fingers is about one yard; horse heights are still
measured in hands (the width of the palm and closed thumb, now fixed at four
inches); and so on. There was an old tailors' axiom that "twice around the
thumb is once around the wrist", which turns up in Gulliver's Travels. It's
most likely that the saying comes from the length of the first joint of the
thumb, which is about an inch (I remember once seeing a carpenter actually
make a rough measurement this way). So the phrase rule of thumb uses the
word rule in the sense of ruler, not regulation, and directly refers to this
method of measurement.

(http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-rul1.htm)

I hope I didn't leave anything out!! ;o))

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~* Aloha!!!!!

"There is no remedy for love but to love more"...
~~Henry David Thoreau

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 26th 05, 11:23 PM
wafflycat

"CatNipped" wrote in message

Quick survey for those who ride bikes - how many attachments to you have?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Well, tourer when fully loaded up....

cycle computer
bar bag mount & bar bag
Minoura space grip with 2 x Cateye 5LED front lights on it
3LED front light mounted to front fork
cycle computer magnet mounted on fork
2 x bottle cages
pump mounted to bottle cage
rear pannier rack with red LED rear light fixed on it.
Red LED rear light attached to whatever is on pannier rack
On rear pannier rack can be assortment from...
Brooks traditional cotton duck saddlebag
Hard rack pack with lockable lid
Left pannier
Right pannier
Mudguards (fenders) front & back
Reflectives on mudguards, pedals, and the stuff that goes on the rear rack,
& on wheel spokes

Cheers, helen s

Old June 26th 05, 11:28 PM
CatNipped

"wafflycat" waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message

[...]

LOL! How do you manage to pedal it???!!

Hugs,

CatNipped