How much to feed a 4.5 lb cat?

Old September 3rd 05, 07:51 AM
Phil P.

"(WebElder)" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:59:12 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

"(WebElder)" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:34:30 -0400, "Phil P."
activity levels = daily energy requirements

DER is determined by more than just activity level. A cat's DER is
determined by age, neuter status, and activity level.

You been visiting those "expert" website again????

Obviously, you haven't.

You are correct..I don't feel the need to quote other peoples
material.

Oh, you desperately have the need, alright. You're just too obtuse and
egomaniacal to realize it. You really don't understand the concept of
research, do you? That's why you're so ignorant about feline nutrition and
post erroneous information and conjure up ridiculous theories.

Old September 3rd 05, 07:52 AM
Phil P.

"(WebElder)" wrote in message

I have never had an overweight Cat..so I must be doing
something right.

LOL! That's hardly the case! You're just *lucky* and happened to have easy
keepers that are in the 60-70% percentile of cats that can self-regulate
their intake. So, don't try to steal your cats' glory and take credit for
something you had absolutely nothing to do with.

Old September 3rd 05, 08:56 AM
Phil P.

"(WebElder)" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:58:46 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

"(WebElder)" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:28:39 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

"(WebElder)" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 04:07:08 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

"(WebElder)" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:39:23 GMT, Kiran wrote:

Our cat is only 4.5 lb, not 6 lb everybody guessed when our

bathroom
scale was broken.

I have been feeding her 5.5-6 oz of canned food daily (either

one
Friskies or two Fancy Feasts, split between two meals).

Now I think it may be too much. How much should she get? I could

cut
it
down to one Fancy Feast per day but that seems too little, or is

it?

Please weigh in ... Hugs, purrs, thanks ...

Unlike Dogs,Cats will eat only what they need.

You're wrong. Otherwise, kindly explain why 30% of pet cats are
overweight
or obese
if they "only eat what they need"?

Lack of activity.

Nope.

If that was the case, then according to your previous statement:

("cats
only
eat what they need"), the cat would eat less because she needs less

energy--
then she wouldn't be overweight to begin with, now, would she? LOL!

The statement "cats only eat what they need" refers to a Cat being
full.

That's a ridiculous convolution of your previous ridiculous statement.

You
meant exactly what you said the first time. You're trying to convolute

the
meaning of your statement because it's been proven to be wrong. Many

cats
certainly *do* eat more than they need.

Proven by who? Your "experts"??

Proven by the 30-40% of cats that are overweight or obese. That's who.

Do you always follow what you read,or
can you think for yourself?

Here's how the learning process works- since you don't know: I study the
literature of many people highly trained and educated in veterinary
nutrition for many years and then form my own conclusions and theories based
on that research and my experience. So where does your fountain of
knowledge come from? since you obviously haven't researched feline behavior
and nutrition.

I know by the last time I tried to educate you

You educate me? ROTFL! When it comes to feline nutrition, you're still in
kindergarten while I'm in college.

that you seem to be
incapable of formulating a theory of your own. Virtually every
sentence of your post was quoted from other websites of "experts".

That's called backing up my statements with references from people highly
trained in feline nutrition and behavior.

Well,I don't take for granted what "experts" have to say about
anything. I make my statements from my own evaluations.

You're evaluation process is flawed because you don't have an adequate
education and understanding of feline nutrition and behavior. Your silly
statements prove that fact. You're just too obtuse and egomaniacal to
accept
it.

And please..try to curb your nasty attitude when you get frustrated
when attempting to disprove what I say. Trolls do this..I would have
thought you would be above it.

I just have little patience and regard for obtuse people like you who think
they know what they're talking about when they don't and refuse to
listen to someone who is obviously much more informed and experienced.

Dogs will eat until they are sick..but Cats will stop when they
have had enough to eat.

That's another ridiculous statement. An overweight or obese cat also

stops
eating when she's had 'enough to eat'. "Enough" for an overweight cat is
obviously too much- otherwise she wouldn't be overweight, now would she?

The overweight Cat may well be overweight due to its lifestyle..not to
overeating. Why do you have so much trouble comprehending this??

Why do you have so much trouble comprehending the fact that an overweight
cat is obviously overeating for her lifestyle?

Basic Feline nutrition 101: Obesity results when energy intake exceeds
energy requirements.

When you fully understand that principle, I'll give you your next lesson.
Your 5 minutes for this lesson are up.

nonsense snipped

Old September 3rd 05, 10:59 AM
Phil P.

wrote in message
But my cat pigged
out on free feeding since she is a former street cat so maybe hard for
her to be dainty when she sees food

You're probably right. Strays and ferals are used to feast or famine
and/or competition for food, so some may tend to overeat during times of
feast to prepare for times of famine. Even though former ferals and strays
no longer go through times of famine, some take longer than others to adapt
to the constant 'feast' of free-feeding before they're able to self-regulate
their caloric intake. Some never adapt and will always overeat as long as
unlimited food is available 24/7.

In a single-cat, or multicat home with all easy keepers and self-regulators
free-feeding might work. But in homes with one or more overeaters, free
feeding almost always results in overweight or obese cats.

Old September 3rd 05, 01:57 PM
Upscale

"Phil P." wrote in message

You educate me? ROTFL! When it comes to feline nutrition, you're still in
kindergarten while I'm in college.

Actually, you're both in the asshole class.

Old September 3rd 05, 07:03 PM
Phil P.

"Diane" wrote in message
In article ,
"(WebElder)" wrote:

I'm sorry,but is is true. Perhaps you are having difficulty with your
Cats,but I have never had an overweight Cat..so I must be doing
something right.

Well, your never having an overweight cat means . . . that you've never
had an overweight cat. Anecdotal evidence (joined to the bizarre
conclusion that you must be doing something right) is meaningless, as
you probably well know.

I really get a kick out of characters like "WebElder" who think they're born
experts or have that 'special knack'- or that instinctive 'something' that
miraculously tells them just what to do and what not to do to have a cat
with no feeding or behavioral problems. The thought that they're just one
of the lucky ones who just happened *by chance* to have a cat- like the
majority of cats- that don't have feeding or behavior problems never entered
their minds! LOL!

They take all the credit for their cat's *naturally* good behavior- which
they had absolutely *nothing* to do with. Even though they never had to
deal with or correct a feeding and/or behavior problem- and never studied
feline behavior or nutrition- they're thoroughly convinced they're eminently
qualified to give (erroneous and astonishingly bad) advice- because they
'must be doing something right' to have cats with no problems. Can't get any
more clueless than that. LOL!

Phil

Old September 3rd 05, 07:04 PM
Phil P.

"Diane" wrote in message
In article ,
"Phil P." wrote:

"(WebElder)" wrote in message

I have never had an overweight Cat..so I must be doing
something right.

LOL! That's hardly the case! You're just *lucky* and happened to have

easy
keepers that are in the 60-70% percentile of cats that can self-regulate
their intake.

It's funny you should say that in those terms, because that's exactly
what my veterinarian said to me about Pudge -- that I'd been lucky to
have had a self-regulating cat, but that Hodge, like "many cats," was
"prone to overeating and obesity." (His exact words.)

I work with 3- sometimes 4 vets and my private vet is retired vet professor
who stays in touch with several of his former students. They all say the
same thing: The vast majority of their clients' cats self-regulate their
caloric intake and its just a matter of luck if you happened to have a
self-regulator. So your vet is right on the money.

Phil

Old September 3rd 05, 07:05 PM
Phil P.

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in message

You educate me? ROTFL! When it comes to feline nutrition, you're still

in
kindergarten while I'm in college.

Actually, you're both in the asshole class.

Its always a pleasure to receive constructive criticism from the moron
class.

Old September 4th 05, 02:10 AM
(WebElder)

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 11:08:56 GMT, Diane
wrote:

In article ,
"(WebElder)" wrote:

I know by the last time I tried to educate you that you seem to be
incapable of formulating a theory of your own.

You haven't provided any "education," just blanket statements that
simply aren't true.

And exactly what position are you in to make such a statement? Are you
an 'expert" also? Or do you also get your information from other sell
appointed experts?

Ray
I don't "Suffer" from Insanity..I rather enjoy it!

CATTS
http://members.tripod.com/~thewebster/catts.html

Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Laby...6/meshead.html