[OT] museum guard dog destroys teddy bear collection

Old August 3rd 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default [OT] museum guard dog destroys teddy bear collection

On 2006-08-03, Debbie Wilson penned:
John F. Eldredge wrote:

A Doberman pinscher, which was supposed to be guarding hundreds of
antique teddy bears at the Wookey Hole Caves children's museum in
England, instead chewed up all of the teddy bears. The collection
had been valued at close to one million American dollars. One of
the bears had originally belonged to Elvis Presley.

There's a picture of the carnage - and of the dog - he
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5240832.stm

His fate is "uncertain" -- I hope that doesn't mean he could be PTS
for this!

No, it said his future with *them* is uncertain. Sounds like he's been
fired from his job, which really, seems appropriate to me!

Joyce
Old August 3rd 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Irulan" wrote in message
. ..
Well, from the picture it looks like the teddy bears were displayed in
open cases, no glass protection. I would sue the museum for this alone,
plus having an unwatched guard dog roaming around the place. It's not his
fault, he was only doing what comes naturally. It's the museum's fault all
the way.

It sounds like after six years, he was truly sick to death of teddy bears.

A far cry from the rules I've heard exist in France where guard dogs must be
on a leash at all times while working.

Jo

Old August 4th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On 2006-08-03, John F Eldredge penned:
A Doberman pinscher, which was supposed to be guarding hundreds of
antique teddy bears at the Wookey Hole Caves children's museum in
England, instead chewed up all of the teddy bears. The collection
had been valued at close to one million American dollars. One of
the bears had originally belonged to Elvis Presley.

A security guard at the museum said he had to chase the dog for
several minutes before finally wrestling it to the ground.

I think this sets a new record for "expensive pet toys", albeit an
unintentional one.

I can't decide if this is funny or not ...

I'll bet the dog thought it was fun! MLB