Uneaten canned food

Old May 1st 06, 07:35 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Uneaten canned food

"Kiran" wrote in message
Spider wrote:

: Many cats (my Cheetah is one) enjoy their wet food a bit more gamey.
: Cheetah licks the jelly off her food, waits for it to 'ripen' a bit,
then
: comes back and devours most of what's left. This doesn't mean you
should
: poison your cat with putrid food, but let her decide to try again
later.

Thank you for your most reassuring post. Yeah, maybe I do watch her and
pay attention to her reactions too much, and it would be better to just
relax.

How long would you leave the wet food uneaten on the plate before you
either regrigerate it or discard it? These days my home is probably at
60 degrees.

Hi Kiran,

:~) Glad to help.

Certainly if you watch her a lot she is going to feel unsettled and
defensive. Cats don't enjoy spectators or other forms of confrontation.
Further, if you walk away after putting her dinner down, you are making it
clear to her that the a' la carte menu is off today. What she sees is what
she gets.

Mmmm. 60 degrees is a bit cosy. If there's no cooler place to feed her,
then try 'fridging' it after an hour or so. You will soon know if you need
to shorten the time period! ... and it won't be the cat telling you! First
of all, though, take that small risk of leaving it down longer. If this
hits you on your guilt muscle, then leave some dry food for her, too. That
way, you don't have to worry about her starving.

Another idea would be to put less wet food down in one serving. This way
she won't be over-faced ... her survival instincts may tell her to eat while
food is scarce ... you get to save some money. Happiness all round.

Good luck.
Spider

Old May 1st 06, 07:40 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I feed my cat Hall's Prescription I/D canned food. I once called them to ask
some questions. The lady on the phone said canned food shouldn't be left at
room temperature for more than 3 or 4 hours. This makes sense to me. So, I
only dole out what I know she'll eat in one sitting.

When I buy canned food at my vets I also get a supply of plastic lids. After
Her Majesty gets her breakfast I save the rest in the refrigerator with the
washable lid on the can. She'll eat it after the second day but asking her
to eat food that's been in the fridge for 3 days is, I think, a personal
insult to her. She says, 'no'.

Mike in Illinois

"Kiran" wrote in message
I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...

Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
lid?

Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
prices!)?

Old May 2nd 06, 12:18 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"What a Feline" ] wrote in
message news:42fop3tf2dnj43s.010520061125@eat!EAT!!!...

Think of all the starving children in the world, you soft, pampered ****.
Three possibilities spring to mind :

SNIP

I feed the starving children to my cat ...when she's in the mood. Everybody
wins.

Old May 2nd 06, 03:22 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

No you can just cover it well with syran or put it in a plastic
container witha sealing lid--no problem.My cat goes through her fiicky
thing.Some days she's hungry-polishes off all her food other days I
have to refridgerateit.I give her a half hour to eat her meal and
whatever is left gets covered and put in the fridge for her next meal.

Old May 9th 06, 09:35 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Java" wrote in message
Feed her/him with dry food. Better for the teeth.
Java
"Kiran" a écrit dans le message de
I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...

Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
lid?

Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
prices!)?

That used to be the theory but has now been pretty much discarded. Cats do
not "chew," as people do -- they simply bite down and "crunch." (And even
for people, does chewing really help our teeth??) More recent research
seems to indicate that good-quality canned food is much better for your
cat's health and also will ensure more water intake.

MaryL