Spay/Neuter stray cats?

Old August 8th 03, 04:02 AM
Mr B

Default Spay/Neuter stray cats?

Howdy,

Does anyone know of anywhere in the Milwaukee/Waukesha WI area that I could take some stray cats to
have them spayed/neutered (preferably for free or a donation) and then return them back to where
they live?

I have a family of them living behind my house. It started with 2, then turned to 4, then added 6
more but 2 or the originals left. We don't need them to reproduce any more.

If you know of anywhere, please respond here or email me directly.

Thanks,
--Mike
mXX
(remove the XX's)

Old August 16th 03, 06:58 AM
Christie

I called the Humane Society for the lowest cost spay/neuter on feral
cats and it turned into $92, that's not what I call cheap or low cost.
Be prepared for a lot more than "they" quote. Also they expected an
appt. at least two weeks in advance and this was for wild feral cats.
Maybe your local Humane Society is better, but I won't be going back to
mine.

Old August 16th 03, 08:37 AM
Arjun Ray

In ,
(Christie) wrote:

| I called the Humane Society for the lowest cost spay/neuter on feral
| cats and it turned into $92, that's not what I call cheap or low cost.

The Humane Society of New York (in the city) has a wonderful program for
ferals. Bring a feral in a trap and they will do the following as part
of a standard protocol:

(a) Spay/Neuter
(b) Flea and earmite treatment
(c) Rabies shot
(d) Eartip
(e) AB shot, if warranted

Cost: Free.

Of course, you have to call in advance to get a slot, as the ferals are
squeezed in around the regular surgeries for their vet clinic. But they
are flexible, on occasion making room for emergencies and understanding
all about ferals being difficult, shall we say, about appointments. At
the HSNY, they really *care*.

| Be prepared for a lot more than "they" quote.

That's what usually happens at regular vet practices who may treat
ferals also. Such as the vets who accept Muffins Certificates:

http://www.muffins.org/spay.htm

The certificate costs $28 for a male, $41 for a female, but the things
not covered can add up - brutally if you don't watch out (or, as it
usually turns out, learn about the hard way.)

| Also they expected an appt. at least two weeks in advance and this was
| for wild feral cats.

This isn't a problem per se if you're planning a TNR project, as you can
trap over multiple sessions/days to get the cats. Much more worrisome
(and this is what I assume you mean) would be inflexibility on squeezing
in an occasional cat or two at short notice.

Old August 16th 03, 10:35 PM
Christie

Hi,
I guess New York has a much better Humane Society program for ferals
than the one here in So. Cal. I called them several times to make sure
the info. they were giving me was correct in dealing with ferals. At the
time I was a nervous wreck because they were saying that the cats would
need to be inside for two weeks after the surgery and that they coudn't
use disolvable sutchers, well that info. was very wrong, but I didn't
find that out until I went in for the appt. and asked to speak to the
vet. They made me wait in a very long line for the check-in, even though
they knew they were feral cats. They had dogs and pet cats at the same
time. Anyways,they quoted $26 for each feamle and $19 for males, Which
was a great price, but when I picked them up, it turned into $92 each.
They did take off $10 for my Spay/Usa coupon, but were very confused
about what it was and had never heard of the program. So, for my future
spay/nueters I won't be going back to them. Also when they were to be
picked up, one of them was still very sedated a couldn't even stand. By
the way, if anyone knows of a good lower cost vet/clinic dealing with
ferals in So.Cal. please let me know.
Thanks,
Christie