Can cats be embarrassed?

Old January 28th 13, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Can cats be embarrassed?

"Joy" wrote in message
Takayuki" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 03:42:26 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Boyfie knows very well that the only place he is not allowed is my
bedroom.
He snuck in there today and nearly jumped out of skin when I found him in
there looking around.
He rushed back down the stairs.

Kitties are very contextual too. Buster likes being pet in some rooms,
but
not in others.

I do think that cats can feel somewhat guilty. Buster gets this coy look,
glancing over his shoulder, when he thinks that he might be doing
something
"bad". The girls, Dot and Spicey, are more likely to brazen out any
situation though.

Definitely about contextual kitties. Waffles loves to have me skritch his
ears if he comes on my lap, or if he comes to me when I'm in bed.
However, I have a scratch on my wrist to remind me that, no matter how
cute and pettable he looks, when he's lying on the couch, I am *not* to
try.

Joy

Kitty Farmcat was like that. She would sometimes even invite me to pet her
and then give me a good slash.
I was surprised to find that Boyfie is not like that, I thought all cats
were!
Even the cat of my childhood, Pooey Pruie, although I know he adored me, and
let me carry him into the house every day, would only allow me to stroke his
head. I thought it was normal.
My mother didn't want to keep him (he was a stray) but I pleaded so in the
end she said yes. He was an intact very old tomcat and he really stunk.
We kept him in overnight once and he pooed in my shoes. I had to plead
again and I convinced her he must have been poorly.
We did see the vet but he said Pruie was way too old to take an anaesthetic
to be neutered and he was probably into his late teens. To say he smelled
would be an understatement. He absolutely STUNK. But hey, he kind of
loved me and my mother did not want to upset me by saying "no cat like that
is coming into this house"
He was obviously an old feral. He often had abcesses through fighting and
I would bathe them with hot water until they burst. I was 11 at the time but
I have never forgotten him and what a bad life the boys can have if they
don't get the snip.
I remember my grandmother visiting and she said "that cat stinks enough to
blind you, get it out of the house."
So I put him outside until she'd gone home.
I have to admit she had a point. He did stink not just a slight tomcat
smell.
I thought he was the bees knees and my mother was kind enough to allow me to
keep him. He was a horrible grump though. Not surprising is it? He always
had some kind of wound from fighting.
After the shoe episode we did try again to keep him in overnight but he blew
that chance. He hooked the grill off from under the fridge and crawled into
the wallspace to poo there. That was his last chance. After that he had to
stay out overnight.
The house smelt for weeks.
Ah, but, if then was now. No-one neutered the boys then or spayed the
girls.
Tweed

Old January 29th 13, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Takayuki wrote:

Kitties are very contextual too. Buster likes being pet in some rooms, but
not in others.

My guys are like that, too. Roxy has her specific "petting areas." One is
the throw rug on the living room floor. She often flops over and then looks
up at me expectantly. If I don't seem to be paying attention, she curls up
her front paws fetchingly, which I *swear* she knows will get me to come
right over to her. How did she figure that out? (Joke - I know very well
how she "figured it out.")

If Roxy isn't in one of her petting areas, she gets annoyed when I try to
pet her. She's a nice girl and doesn't slash me, but if I don't follow her
cue and stop, she will get up and leave.

Licky won't let me near him unless he is in/on one of the officially
sanctioned Safe Areas. One of the important features of a Safe Area is
that if I want to reach him, it should require me to bend and reach in
ways that are very uncomfortable for me.

I do think that cats can feel somewhat guilty. Buster gets this coy look,
glancing over his shoulder, when he thinks that he might be doing something
"bad". The girls, Dot and Spicey, are more likely to brazen out any
situation though.

Licky always looks like that, even when his behavior is perfect. Poor guy,
he always thinks I'm about to do something terrible to him. I don't think
it's about guilt. It's anxiety - they don't like to be yelled at, clapped
at, etc., and if they know their behavior might get them in trouble, the
get *that look*, which to me says, "Uh oh, better get out of here!"

--
Joyce

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you
come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people
who have come alive." -- Howard Thurman
Old January 29th 13, 07:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bastette" wrote in message
Takayuki wrote:

Kitties are very contextual too. Buster likes being pet in some rooms,
but
not in others.

My guys are like that, too. Roxy has her specific "petting areas." One is
the throw rug on the living room floor. She often flops over and then
looks
up at me expectantly. If I don't seem to be paying attention, she curls up
her front paws fetchingly, which I *swear* she knows will get me to come
right over to her. How did she figure that out? (Joke - I know very
well
how she "figured it out.")

Lindy (RB) used to do that. I called it her "precious pose", because it
always made me call her "precious".

Joy

Old January 29th 13, 08:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Joy wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

My guys are like that, too. Roxy has her specific "petting areas." One is
the throw rug on the living room floor. She often flops over and then
looks
up at me expectantly. If I don't seem to be paying attention, she curls up
her front paws fetchingly, which I *swear* she knows will get me to come
right over to her. How did she figure that out? (Joke - I know very
well
how she "figured it out.")

Lindy (RB) used to do that. I called it her "precious pose", because it
always made me call her "precious".

LOL. I call it the "fetching" pose. It really cracks me up because it's
such a transparent, over-the-top manipulation. OK, it's adorable, and it
works. But it's still funny.

--
Joyce

A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going
somewhere. -- Groucho Marx

Old January 29th 13, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 02:15:36 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message
m...
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for a good laugh. Your mom was a nice lady. When I was 11, my
folks bought a house from a very old woman who was going into a
nursing home, so we kept her cat, Pearl. I really don't remember too
much about her but she did have a smell and she was indoor/outdoor.
She did ok with us for a few years and then died, probably just of old
age. It's really odd how little I remember of her considering how much
I adore my current brood.

Old February 10th 13, 12:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"dgk" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 02:15:36 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message
om...
wrote:

[...]

It was not remotely funny.

Old February 10th 13, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

[...]

Boyfie jumps from the worktops if he thinks I see him. Tigger doesn't, he
is up there all the time with no shame whatsoever.
Maybe Boyfie was punished for that in his previous home.
He is not allowed on the worktops and he knows it.

I have never told him that, althought I agree.

I would love to find his previous owners and tell them he is safe, pity they
didn't neuter and get him a microchip.
I did both.
They missed having a wonderful cat.

Although I'm quite glad that he