aspirin for cat?

Old August 16th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Zippy

Default aspirin for cat?

Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
cats. Is it or not?

Old August 16th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Magic Mood Jeep

"Zippy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
cats. Is it or not?

AFAIK, true Aspirin (think Bayer) in *tiny* doses is not bad for cats.
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) and Ibuprofen (Advil) can be DEADLY to cats and dogs
in any amount.

Lots of cats have "reactions" to their yearly shots - they feel "bad" for a
day or so (mine usually sulk over their treatment). If it were MY cats, I
would hold of on the aspirin for another day before I medicated them (they
would sulk even longer after having been medicated, therefore how would I
know if the treatment were working or if they were just sulking?).

--
http://www.firstgiving.com/nalee1131964
About my charity:

Old August 16th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Magic Mood Jeep

"cindys" wrote in message

"Zippy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
cats. Is it or not?

--------
Cats metabolize aspirin very slowly. It's okay in small doses such as the
dose your vet recommended. For my cat's arthritis, my vet has recommended
one whole baby aspirin (81 mg) not more than twice a week. Just please be
sure that the product you are giving your cat is really aspirin and NOT
Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Advil (ibuprofen) or Aleve (naproxen). Any of
these can be deadly for a cat.

I forgot about Aleve! Thank you for mentioning that!

Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) comes in 325 mg and 81 mg. The 81 mg pills
are the ones you want to buy (and then cut in half). These are also known
as "baby aspirin" or more commonly "low-dose aspirin." They can be
purchased "enteric coated" which is easier on the stomach.
Good luck.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old August 16th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bonbon

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 07:15:56 -0700, Zippy
wrote:

Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
cats. Is it or not?

I had always heard aspirin was bad for kitties too. If you're having
any doubts, definitely call a couple of other local vets for a
second/third opinion. Also, I would go and ask Phil.
www.max'shouse.com. I hope I got that link right.

-bonbon
Old August 16th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

wrote:

Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
cats. Is it or not?

I had always heard aspirin was bad for kitties too. If you're having
any doubts, definitely call a couple of other local vets for a
second/third opinion. Also, I would go and ask Phil.
www.max'shouse.com. I hope I got that link right.

--------
There's nothing wrong with aspirin for a cat. I have had several different
vets recommend it for my kitties for various ailments over the years. We
also had a thread on this topic very recently on this forum. The reason
aspirin is not recommended for cats is because of the concern that the
person may give the cat too big a dose or may give the cat one of the other
medications I mentioned, incorrectly thinking it is aspirin, either of which
could be a deadly mistake.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old August 17th 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

wrote:

Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
cats. Is it or not?

I had always heard aspirin was bad for kitties too. If you're having
any doubts, definitely call a couple of other local vets for a
second/third opinion. Also, I would go and ask Phil.www.max'shouse.com. I hope I got that link right.

-bonbon

I always thought it was bad, too. I think the general aspiring-for-
cats rule is, "Never unless the vet says so." Cherokee had a
stroke when he was 13, and the vet recommended 1/4 of a baby aspirin
every other day. That's hardly crumbs, once you quarter
that tiny tablet, but it could very well be the reason why he lived on
to age 17 without having another stroke.

Sherry

Old August 17th 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

wrote:

Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
cats. Is it or not?

I had always heard aspirin was bad for kitties too. If you're having
any doubts, definitely call a couple of other local vets for a
second/third opinion. Also, I would go and ask Phil.www.max'shouse.com. I hope I got that link right.

-bonbon

I always thought it was bad, too. I think the general aspiring-for-
cats rule is, "Never unless the vet says so." Cherokee had a
stroke when he was 13, and the vet recommended 1/4 of a baby aspirin
every other day. That's hardly crumbs, once you quarter
that tiny tablet, but it could very well be the reason why he lived on
to age 17 without having another stroke.

The problem with aspiren is that it takes a long time to clear their
system. So, while a little bit can do some good, it is very easy to
overdose them. So, the amount given is very small and can't be
repeated as often.

I would use it if a vet prescribed, but I would follow the directions
carefully, and I would never recommend it or use it without a vet
prescribing it.

Old August 18th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Peg Caldwell-Ott

Our Alino is also on one St. Joseph's "Baby" Aspirin (81 mg) once
every three days on the advise of our vet. It REALLY helps with his
arthritis, along with the Cosequin Powder that we sprinkle (from one
capsule) on each meal. He just turned 16 in late June.

Bestest,

PegNDerek

Old August 18th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mariib via CatKB.com

Zippy wrote:
Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
cats. Is it or not?

My cat Tigra who was finally PTS in Sept 2005 at 19-1/2 years was on the same
treatment as PegNDerek's cat Alino on our vet's advice for severe arthritis
in her rear legs for probably 3-4 years - UNFLAVORED chewable 81 mg baby
aspirin every 3 days plus Cosequin powder from a capsule sprinkled on her
food at each meal (twice a day for Tigra), plus she was on Tapezole the last
2 years. The baby aspiring & glucosamine helped her a lot but during her last
year, other things went wrong.
M.