Mad kitty!

Old October 26th 04, 12:41 AM
Yoj

LOL!!

--
Joy

"You can never do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it
will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message

All right, it's about time someone did:

"Go down cellar,
Way down in Egypt laa-aaa-aaand!"

Theresa

Old October 26th 04, 01:52 AM
O J

On Tue, 26 Oct, Yowie wrote:

Being an Aussie, its pretty safe to assume that any snake you meet is quite
fatal. Yes, we do have pythons that aren't exceptionally deadly, but most of
the ones humans encounter are quite lethal (having the top 9 most venomous
snakes in the world), which is why I have a healthy 'respect' of snakes.

I think I've said this before, but I'm not sure if it was this
newsgroup, if it was, please pardon my repeating myself.

I'm not afraid of snakes per se and used to have an Indigo snake as a
pet, but I wouldn't like to meet a snake in Australia. The thing that
gets to me about the snakes there is that one of the deadliest is
known as the "common brown" snake. Why isn't it named the "you'll
never meet one unless you go wandering around the outback and even
then the chances are slim brown" snake?

Regards and Purrs,
O J

Old October 26th 04, 03:51 AM

William Hamblen wrote:

Mel Gibson is from Peekskill, New York. His father moved the family
to Australia after he won the New York lottery (I kid you not). Mel
was 12 at the time.

Interesting. Now here's one I'm not sure of: what is Bob Hoskins'
nationality? I've seen him do very convincing American and British
accents, so I can't tell where he's from.

Joyce

Old October 26th 04, 03:55 AM

This is an interesting thread, but could folks PLEASE trim the previous
discussion from it?? Or else top-post, or something? It's about 4
screenfuls to the bottom of the post where the new contribution is.

Thanks,
Joyce

Bobcat wrote:

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 07:34:53 +1000, "Yowie"
yodeled:

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:13:56 +1000, "Yowie"
yodeled:

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 07:48:18 +1300, Bev

yodeled:

Cheryl Perkins wrote:

Kreisleriana wrote:

The former Mr. T (an Aussie) had people remark to him

that it must
be
cool to live in a country from where you could drive all

over
Europe.
:P

I've heard that many people think that Australia and

Austria are the
same
place, which would certainly lead to that kind of

confusion!

--
Cheryl

Even funnier are the people who think that Australia and New

Zealand
are
part of the same country or people who think New Zealand is a

part of
Holland or Alaska. When we travelled around the US recently

few
people
could pick our accents. They always began by thinking we

were
English,
no, Australian then, nooo, then they gave up

Bev

"New Zealand: The Canada of Australia"

Forget New Zealand (I don't mean really)! That's beyond most

of our
ken. In fact it was beyond my Aussie Mr. T's ken, too, but I

think
that was on purpose. :P

I don't know it it is because I am so familiar with

"down-under"
accents that I don't see why most Americans mistake them for

English.
But I suppose that there are so many English accents that they

think
that those just might be a couple more.

I guess its what you are used to hearing. If you hear lots of

Aussie
accents, and a fair few Kiwi accents, you can pick the

difference between
an
Aussie accent and a Kiwi one, and even the different Aussie

accents (eg,
difference between a Melbourne accent and a Sydney accent). But

if you
don't
here alot, you would probably hear them as similar.

For example, I, as an Aussie, cannot tell the diffence between

the accent
of
Bridget, Hazel, Ginger-Lyn or Pam Shirk, and only barely

recognise the
difference between those four and Grace's. However, they all

come from
different parts of the USA and I'm sure that to their ears,

their accents
would be quite distinct. I'm also sure that all Americans would

find my
imitation of an American accent just as painful as us Aussies

find
imitations of our Aussie accent [except for Meryl Streep, she

got it
almost
100% right]. And an American imitating an Australian accent

sounds
different
to Aussie ears than a Brit imitating an Aussie accent. I guess

when
imitating a different accent, you accentuate the differences

between the
other accent and your own, which is why they sound different.

Yowie

I once startled an unsuspecting Aussie here out of his socks by
pronouncing Canberra correctly.
swelling with pride

Thats Can-bra, like Mel-b'n (Melbourne) and Briz-b'n (Brisbane) .

After living many years with a man from Melbn, I still get a little
jarred when I hear my countrypeople say (as they will) Mel-bourne.

The principle of the Aussie accent is that the longer you leave you

mouth
open, the more likely it is that a fly will get in. So shorten

everything
that can be shortened, and what can't be, mumble the last syllable

or
syllables.

Carn!
Theresa

Hey, you're from Brooklyn by way of the Ottawa Valley! (A lot of Irish
in the Valley lingo - I know, because both sides of my family came
from there.)

--
To reply privately, take the X's out of my user ID.

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM