(OT) Smart Bunny!!

Old May 5th 11, 06:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Default (OT) Smart Bunny!!

Our new pet is showing high intelligence!

The wild greens part are served standing in jars of water which are
placed in a 2-quart saucepan with a handle. Some of the greens are
tall enough that the bun-bun must stand up and reach for them. That
is, until a few minutes ago when bun-bun figured out that sitting on
the pot handle was the way to reach all the greens without having to
stretch!

The bun-bun is also learning to recognize individual cats as well as
the two distinct hoomins. And I am learning a lot from watching this
adorable little creature. What a shame I never thought to get a rabbit
before. They are simply delightful!
Old May 5th 11, 06:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Pat" wrote in message
Our new pet is showing high intelligence!

The wild greens part are served standing in jars of water which are
placed in a 2-quart saucepan with a handle. Some of the greens are
tall enough that the bun-bun must stand up and reach for them. That
is, until a few minutes ago when bun-bun figured out that sitting on
the pot handle was the way to reach all the greens without having to
stretch!

The bun-bun is also learning to recognize individual cats as well as
the two distinct hoomins. And I am learning a lot from watching this
adorable little creature. What a shame I never thought to get a rabbit
before. They are simply delightful!

I'm not questioning your statement; I'm just curious. How can you tell the
bunny can distinguish between individual cats and humans?

Joy

Old May 5th 11, 07:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Joy wrote:

I'm not questioning your statement; I'm just curious. *How can you tell the
bunny can distinguish between individual cats and humans?

Abigail is the only one the rabbit will touch noses with (through the
wire). Arthur is the only one allowed to touch bunny with a paw. If
anyone other than Twiggy, Mickey and Buzzy jump onto the top of the
cage, bunny looks up.

I can be talking to the bunny and then Dave will say something softly
in the next room - plenty of other noises going on at the same time
(radio playing, cats running around, traffic on the street, etc.) and
bunny looks expectantly in the direction of Dave's voice. Then I say
something very quiet and bunny looks at me. If Dave moves toward the
cage, bunny goes to hide behind the house, immediately. But if Dave
and I are talking with one another nearby, bunny ignores us.

There's much more I've observed but don't have time to write about.
Suffice it to say it's very clear that the rabbit knows a lot more
than most folks would suspect.

Old May 5th 11, 08:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Pat" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

[...]

***

I see what you mean. S/he is obviously a very smart critter!

Joy

Old May 5th 11, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kraut / Larry Stark

On Wed, 4 May 2011 22:42:49 -0700 (PDT), Pat
wrote:

Our new pet is showing high intelligence!

The wild greens part are served standing in jars of water which are
placed in a 2-quart saucepan with a handle. Some of the greens are
tall enough that the bun-bun must stand up and reach for them. That
is, until a few minutes ago when bun-bun figured out that sitting on
the pot handle was the way to reach all the greens without having to
stretch!

The bun-bun is also learning to recognize individual cats as well as
the two distinct hoomins. And I am learning a lot from watching this
adorable little creature. What a shame I never thought to get a rabbit
before. They are simply delightful!

Have you let her / he out of the cage at all yet? I had 2 when
growing up and we let them out on ocassion but we had to watch out for
rabbit pellets (The squishy type) though!!

Old May 5th 11, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Pat wrote:

There's much more I've observed but don't have time to write about.
Suffice it to say it's very clear that the rabbit knows a lot more
than most folks would suspect.

I think that's true of ALL animals - they're smart enough in the areas
they NEED to be. (Usually it's less a matter of "dumb" animals than
unobservant humans.)
Old May 5th 11, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Pat wrote:

There's much more I've observed but don't have time to write about.
Suffice it to say it's very clear that the rabbit knows a lot more
than most folks would suspect.

I think that's true of ALL animals - they're smart enough in the areas
they NEED to be. (Usually it's less a matter of "dumb" animals than
unobservant humans.)

I think so too. Even the term "bird-brain" is an insult to birds. On one
of my trips to Australia, I watched a demonstration in which a hawk
repeatedly dropped a rock on an emu egg until the egg broke. That is using
tools, which is a definite sign of intelligence. People who think animals
are stupid probably haven't observed any of them up close.

Joy

Old May 5th 11, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

Pat wrote:

There's much more I've observed but don't have time to write about.
Suffice it to say it's very clear that the rabbit knows a lot more
than most folks would suspect.

I think that's true of ALL animals - they're smart enough in the areas
they NEED to be. (Usually it's less a matter of "dumb" animals than
unobservant humans.)

I think so too. Even the term "bird-brain" is an insult to birds. On one
of my trips to Australia, I watched a demonstration in which a hawk
repeatedly dropped a rock on an emu egg until the egg broke. That is using
tools, which is a definite sign of intelligence. People who think animals
are stupid probably haven't observed any of them up close.

Heh, if someone calls you "bird brain", simply say "thank you". It's a
compliment!

Joyce

--
Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. -- Clive Barker
Old May 5th 11, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
Joy wrote:

Pat wrote:

[...]

Yup.

Joy

I am not a happy bunny. wafflycat[_2_] Cat anecdotes 16 October 18th 08 10:55 PM
Speaking of Bunny- Butts . . . Kreisleriana[_3_] Cat anecdotes 3 September 1st 08 04:47 PM
OT - I saw a baby bunny!!! Magic Mood Jeep Cat anecdotes 23 June 2nd 07 04:04 PM
Bunny Day Granby Cat community 6 April 9th 07 04:43 AM
OT... a happy bunny wafflycat Cat anecdotes 44 July 11th 05 08:12 PM