(OT) Wash-day Weirdness (TZW)

Old September 2nd 11, 06:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default (OT) Wash-day Weirdness (TZW)

On 9/1/2011 11:00 PM, Yowie wrote:
In ,
Wayne typed:
wrote:

So why is every edge of the sheet a long edge?? No matter
how many times I rotate it, I'm always holding a long edge.

This would certainly appear to be a phenomenon related to the
three-edged pillow case. If so, I think it argues for the
Moebius-strip-like explanation.

Does it seem to you that the sheet phenomenon might be easier to
quantify? There must be very few false positives, since one clearly
would not repeatedly mistake a short edge for a long edge -- except,
of course, under the conditions that MLB has alluded to.

Hmm... i wonder if this is related to another laundry phenomenon that I've
only encountered since I got a front-loader. It is the *appearing* sock. The
appearing sock suddenly comes into existance the instant the 'start' button
is pressed, which thereby locks the door to the washing machine and keeps it
locked until the machine has gone through the whole cycle. It doesn't matter
whether any water has gotten into the bowl yet, or whether any soap has
entered. All the clothes are dry and still for a good 30 seconds whils thte
machine ensures it 'drains' (despite it draining the previous load), it
owuld be perfectly OK to open the door with no harm or foul and yet, there
is *no way* to open for 90 minutes to throw that one appearing sock in after
its already started. The odds of the appearing sock appearing increase
exponentially as the number of loads you still need to do approach zero. You
virtually guarantee that once you've put the last load in, and thereby have
finally cleared the 'washing monster' from the dirty washing basket, the
appearing sock will materialise somewhere within you sight within
nanoseconds of you pressing the 'start' button for the final load.

Yowie

After reading the comment I started thinking, what would happen if a
small pet had inadvertently gotten in with the wash? I'm sure pulling
the plug would stop the machine, but would it unlock the door?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See all our masters at:
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old September 2nd 11, 06:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

CatNipped wrote:

After reading the comment I started thinking, what would happen if a
small pet had inadvertently gotten in with the wash? I'm sure pulling
the plug would stop the machine, but would it unlock the door?

Yes, that's what I was alluding to when I said I had some bad scenarios
going through my head.

Joyce

--
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going
somewhere. -- Groucho Marx
Old September 2nd 11, 07:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

[...]

Not having a front loader that locks, my appearing sock only appears just
after I've washed that last load of clothes. ;

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

Yes, that's my situation, too.

Joy

Old September 2nd 11, 07:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 9/2/2011 12:48 AM, hopitus wrote:
On Sep 1, 11:33 pm, CatNipped wrote:
[...]

I thought of the same thing. Yes, the door would unlock when the auto
cycle
was broken. I wonder WTF that idea came from, to lock washer door. I
will
never, ever curse my toaster again after reading about this washer.
Ceer up, Lori; it's the start of a long holiday weekend and folks are
doing stuff and
going places from now to Tuesday (at least in USA). This evening I sat
through a
Broncos game with the AZ Cards feeling my blood pressure rising up
and up
every quarter. Why don't you persuade your DH to haul you downtown to
watch
the inevitable holiday parades there? Parades here are not what I was
used to in
south FL as here they got not only horses in the parades, but cows
(yes, cows) with
no litterbox manners whatsoever no matter where they are, and I
learned real fast
not to try to sit near the curbs here in MileHigh. Once in awhile they
have a buffalo.(C.U.).
Have a fun weekend, keep cool if you can, and don't forget the snow-
cones!

Ah, I didn't even realize that Labor Day was upon us. I hope that's the
cause of the drop in numbers here lately, but it has been dropping for a
while now, so I don't think that's it alone.

I never did like parades and, of course, growing up in New Orleans it
was considered blasphemy to miss Mardi Gras so I was forced to go to...
get hit in the face with beads and doubloons (which was only slightly
better than being hit in the face by naked bouncing boobs being flashed
in exchange for plastic trinkets); get my feet tromped upon by creatures
10 times my size; get pushed down by grown men fighting over a string of
plastic bits, get my shoes vomited on by drunken revelers; get lost from
my mom in a sea of strangers packed so tightly together that you didn't
have to stand on your own, the pressure of bodies around you would keep
you upright.

So, yeah, I don't like parades much... but found I like them even less
when you just stand passively, clap politely and *don't* scream "THROW
ME SOMETHING MISTER!" and watch those contraptions trundle by without
being pelted with a single piece of cheap "jewelry". ;

What does Labor Day laud anyway? Wasn't it once Arbor Day - what did
that laud?

Old September 2nd 11, 08:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I can see why you wouldn't like parades. The ones we had in California were
much tamer than the ones you describe, and I did enjoy them, whether I was
watching or in them. (My high school marching band, in which I played
accordion, was in a parade once, and another time I rode on a float in my
community college's homecoming parade.) Now I don't like standing for a long
time, so I mostly don't like them. However, there is one exception. Once
or twice I've been visiting my relatives in Valdez, Alaska during their Gold
Rush Days, and I always enjoy that parade. It isn't as large or pretentious
as a lot of them, and one of the best parts is when my sister and
brother-in-law walk their group of Golden Retriever lovers along. They get
25 or 30 Goldens, maybe more, and the dogs are usually enjoying themselves
as much as the people are. Candy is thrown from some of the floats, but it
doesn't hit anybody in the face. One year, my mother represented her Red
Hat club by riding her senior scooter in the parade, with an appropriate
sign on the scooter, wearing her purple blouse and red hat.

Other than that, I don't usually even bother to watch the Rose Parade on TV
any more.

Joy

Old September 2nd 11, 05:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Sep 2, 9:01*am, Sophia wrote:
On 02 Sep 2011 05:56:54 GMT, wrote:

*Am more
appreciative of that pause button now - did not realize they made
washers without them!

Thank you- there is a pause button on my new machine never occured
to me I could use it to add the missed items that seem to end up on
the floor from the laundry basket to the machine rather than having to
run a second wash

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old September 4th 11, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

CatNipped wrote:

After reading the comment I started thinking, what would happen if a
small pet had inadvertently gotten in with the wash? I'm sure pulling
the plug would stop the machine, but would it unlock the door?

Yes, that's what I was alluding to when I said I had some bad scenarios
going through my head.

Joyce

My front loader "start" button is a "start/pause" button which pauses
and unlocks the door for whatever situation. Closing the door and
pressing start again starts the cycle up again where it left off. Our
laundry room is off the kitchen on the first floor. Our bedroom is on
the first floor on the opposite side of the house. There is ALWAYS
stray piece of clothing laying somewhere in that path from bedroom
where the clothes were sorted and piled to the washer. Am more
appreciative of that pause button now - did not realize they made
washers without them!

Sophia

My front-loader (LG brand, purchased in November of last year) also has
this pause function...HOWEVER, if the washer is in mid-cycle, or has
water in it up to the door opening, it WILL NOT unlatch when you hit the
pause button!

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old September 4th 11, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Happy[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Yes. Mine is a Samsung - also purchased last Nov. I have about 5
mintues after starting a load to add something. There is a "Garment +"
light. As long as it is lit the pause button works. It is lit as long
as there is not too much water or not too hot. I can stop a spin if I
want to take something as well.

The kitties, especially Llyod, for some reason enjoy the new machine -
maybe it's the constant back and forth with the brief stop in between.
They sit in the laundry basket and watch the load wash like it's a
movie tilting their heads back and forth. It's cute. Hubby was
incredulous that the thing actually cleaned the clothes. LOL

It's annoying to have to keep the door to the washer propped open when
not in use - per the installer guy and the guy who came out to give
its 6 month check up.

Sophia