And I thought my cat was fat...

Old April 4th 04, 12:54 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Default And I thought my cat was fat...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4654653/?GT1=3256

It may seem that I am making light of this, but I really don't think it's
very funny. My cat *is* slightly overweight but not so much that it affects
her health, and I do watch her intake very carefully (she's still on a
diet--it's been a very slow process but she is losing weight and will
hopefully be down to where my vet wants her within a year). I think
allowing a pet--any pet--to become so obese should be considered abuse.

rona
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and they will
**** upon your computer."

Old April 4th 04, 03:42 PM
Sherry

It may seem that I am making light of this, but I really don't think it's
very funny. My cat *is* slightly overweight but not so much that it affects
her health, and I do watch her intake very carefully (she's still on a
diet--it's been a very slow process but she is losing weight and will
hopefully be down to where my vet wants her within a year). I think
allowing a pet--any pet--to become so obese should be considered abuse.

rona

It *is* abuse. "Killing with kindness" comes to mind, though....but even a very
elderly man should have realized FOUR POUNDS of hamburger meat was excessive.
The mind boggles. Just imagine how *much* that is!
The poor thing. I wonder if it will survive.
Biskit would look just like that if she could. She's the piggiest eater I've
ever had. I keep thinking once she gets out of that "street cat" mentality
she'll slow down.
Sherry

Old April 4th 04, 04:10 PM
Mary

"Sherry " wrote in message
It may seem that I am making light of this, but I really don't

think it's
very funny. My cat *is* slightly overweight but not so much that

it affects
her health, and I do watch her intake very carefully (she's still

on a
diet--it's been a very slow process but she is losing weight and

will
hopefully be down to where my vet wants her within a year). I

think
allowing a pet--any pet--to become so obese should be considered

abuse.

rona

It *is* abuse. "Killing with kindness" comes to mind, though....but

even a very
elderly man should have realized FOUR POUNDS of hamburger meat was

excessive.

It really is horrible. I think some people, particularly older men,
just don't know of any other way to show their love. The
older man who had Buddha before we adopted her just
gave her treats all day. He thought it was cute how she
chased them down like live things, and nothing made
her happier. He just didn't think about what the weight
would do to her.

Old April 4th 04, 05:49 PM
RobZip

"Sherry " wrote in message

It *is* abuse. "Killing with kindness" comes to mind, though....but even a

very
elderly man should have realized FOUR POUNDS of hamburger meat was

excessive.

Perhaps he didn't realize. Older folks suffering from dementia often lose
track of when they eat. It's not incommon to see Alzheimers patients in
nursing homes insist that they are hungry immediately after consuming a full
meal. The article says the man himself was taken to a nursing home, so it's
seems likely that impaired judgement was a factor.

Old April 4th 04, 06:41 PM
Joe Canuck

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4654653/?GT1=3256

It may seem that I am making light of this, but I really don't think it's
very funny. My cat *is* slightly overweight but not so much that it affects
her health, and I do watch her intake very carefully (she's still on a
diet--it's been a very slow process but she is losing weight and will
hopefully be down to where my vet wants her within a year). I think
allowing a pet--any pet--to become so obese should be considered abuse.

Mine is 18 pounds and definitely not overweight. ;-)

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck