Long Term Friends

Old May 9th 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
James[_5_]

Default Long Term Friends

When you have cats for an extended time, they become part of your life.
Rudy and Stasher accepted my wife and I when they were six weeks old.
Stasher hissed at me when I removed him from the carrier. Rudy was quite an
ugly little fellow but he grew up to be the "classic cat". Rudy was always
the complacent one. It really hurt his feelings when he was reprimanded for
bad behavior while Stasher would just look you in the eye, flip his tail,
and walk away. Stasher was adventurous. As a kitten he fell in the commode,
fell into the fish tank while observing the fish, got into the air duct
system while I was painting the bathroom. When we built our new home he
would get on the ducts in the basement and walk at around 4:00 A.M. The
ducts would flex and BOOM as he traversed them. In Phoenix I built them a
"Cat Walk" (dogs have "runs" but cats stroll) with an entrance through the
laundry room wall. It was 8' wide, 12' long, and 8' high with a ramp and
perches at various locations. Rudy loved to sleep on a perch early in the
morning, before it got hot. They could go outside whenever they wished.
Although Stasher was adventurous he was strictly a homebody. He would get
traumatized when trips to the vet were made and take out his frustrations on
Rudy. We found a mobile vet that made house calls and it helped a lot but
they both would try to hide when they saw the vet in the house. Both of them
became totally deaf at about 15. Rudy developed kidney problems at 18 and we
injected 200ml of Ringer's every other day. At 19 he had arthritis and
received Cosoquin (probably misspelled) every day. He loved roast turkey
breast and would sit in the kitchen for hours waiting for cooking to be
finished. He was not a lap cat but wanted to lie beside me in the recliner.
His favorite spot for daytime sleep was his basket, which he had for about
20 years. At night he slept next to my wife and Stasher slept next to me.
Stasher was kind of a "don't touch me unless I say it's O.K" for a long
time. I sometimes called him Bear because he had only two dispositions,
Grizzly Bear or Teddy Bear. In 1995 I underwent chemo and radiation
simultaneously and was quite ill. Stasher would get on the bed at my feet
and wouldn't get up to drink, eat, or visit the litter box until I got up.
After my recovery he followed me around and wanted into my lap whenever I
sat down. I started calling him my "puppy". As they aged, their intake of
food concerned us as it was minimal. With the vet's blessing I mixed Turkey
baby food with their regular food and they actually regained a bit of
weight. Turkey was the only baby food we could feed them as it was the only
variety without onion powder. They would only eat about a tablespoon at a
time but needed it about every 2 hours, including all night.
At 21, Rudy just couldn't make it any more. He was ready for crossing the
"Rainbow Bridge". Within 10 days of exactly one year of Rudy's passing,
Stasher joined him. We still miss them and speak of them often. We compare
traits of our current four, Opie, Rambo, Felix, and Oscar with those of Rudy
and Stasher.

Old May 9th 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

James wrote:
[...]

They left memories: gone but never forgotten. Best wishes. MLB
Old May 9th 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

James wrote:
snip wonderful kitty memories
At 21, Rudy just couldn't make it any more. He was ready for crossing
the "Rainbow Bridge". Within 10 days of exactly one year of Rudy's
passing, Stasher joined him. We still miss them and speak of them often.
We compare traits of our current four, Opie, Rambo, Felix, and Oscar
with those of Rudy and Stasher.

What a lovely tribute to your old friends.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old May 9th 09, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"James" wrote in message

[...]

A lovey tribute to two wonderful feline friends.

I'm glad they introdued you to the joys of being ownedby cats - and that you
now have four owners rahter than just two.

Hopefuly we'll hear more aout Opie, rambo, Felix & Oscar and indeed about
Rudy & Stasher.

Welcome to RPCA!

Yowie

--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.