Sophie disappears

Old September 7th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

Default Sophie disappears

"Takayuki" wrote in message
Ha - and they say cats have no sense of humor. Sophie was probably
chortling at you the whole time. Roxy certainly does this to me! I'll
walk all over the apartment, calling her, making a big fuss about
searching for her. And then suddenly I'll look up to see her ensconced
on the refrigerator, watching me impassively and enjoying the show.

Do cats often not come when called? When I first got Betty, she
didn't seem to answer to her name very much, although she would often
come to me anyway if she wanted attention, and I pitched my voice in
an inviting way. I thought that it was because she was a cat, and
cats don't come when called.

But over time, either she figured out what I expected, or wanted more
attention, or just simply learned her name, and she would almost
always come to me when I called her. I think that happened gradually
over one or two years.

Some cats come to their name or to your call. Others as the saying goes
take a message and get back to you.

We have had Molly for two years now and she has yet to acknowledge that she
has a name. She does kind of get the idea that if we are at the door
yelling and its getting dark, she needs to figure out where she wants to
sleep.

Jo

Old September 7th 06, 10:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Jo Firey wrote:
"Takayuki" wrote in message
[...]

Snoopy is more likely to come running if I call Baggy, she thinks she's
missing out on something. :-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old September 7th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobcat

Cheryl Perkins wrote:
..I turned around one more time and saw her sitting in an open and nearly empty
closet that I could have sworn I had searched several times already, looking at me with mild curiosity at my odd behaviour.
Cheryl

Are you sure you didn't detect a sly smile on her face?

Old September 8th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Bobcat wrote:

One thing you can predict about cats. They're unpredictable. Yesterday
morning Sophie vanished. Earlier she'd been sleeping at the foot of
the bed - no, ON my foot - but now she was gone. Normally she hangs
around upstairs until I freshen the food dish. But not this morning. I
grew concerned. Had Sophie slipped past me when I went outside to feed
Mooch, our resident stray? Or was she lying ill somwhere? I mentioned
her absence to my SP - Special Person. She said probably Sophie had
slipped into Cat Space, that other dimension cats visit occasionally,
and that she'd be back soon. But I scoured the house, the yard, and
looked up and down the street. No Sophie. This was serious! I KNEW it!
Defeated and worried I passed the living room. There was Sophie,
contentedly sleeping on a large comfy cushion on the sofa. She'd been
there all along. But she never slept late, especially down here! Oh,
that's right - read my first two sentences again. Cats! Has yours done
this to you? Of course he/she has!

Soncek hides himself from me all the time (and laughs at me when I can't
find him - my being very short-sighted does not help at all!)
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Old September 9th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Micha

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 22:27:36 -0400, Takayuki wrote:

Do cats often not come when called? When I first got Betty, she
didn't seem to answer to her name very much, although she would often
come to me anyway if she wanted attention, and I pitched my voice in
an inviting way. I thought that it was because she was a cat, and
cats don't come when called.

Both Blacky and Merlin know their name very well. Blacky will mostly
come when called. Merlin normally first turns his head towards me and
setting up his "I've heard you calling me but I am now in the process
of considering to follow the call"-look. If he don't turn his head, he
has closed all communication channels to the hoomin' world.

Squarely Yours
Michael

--
Square Dance is friendship put to music
Andrea and Michael with fluffy-cats Blacky and Merlin

Sophie RB Karen Cat anecdotes 27 May 17th 05 12:58 PM
Sophie hates my new monitor Bobcat Cat anecdotes 5 January 18th 05 04:24 AM
Sophie Dave McMahon Cats - misc 0 January 14th 05 03:00 AM
Sophie Cat Meets Captain Estonia D. R. Crawford Cat anecdotes 1 December 3rd 04 11:31 PM
Sophie Cat versus Sophie Dog D. R. Crawford Cat anecdotes 21 November 28th 04 11:19 AM