Pseudofed for Congested Cat?

Old November 15th 03, 07:11 PM
Mary

Default Pseudofed for Congested Cat?

My friend's vet told her to give her eight-month-old kitten 30 mgs of
regular Pseudofed for her respiratory congestion. He has the cat on
some sort of antibiotics, but my friend wanted to do more because the
cat is so uncomfortable and congested, very sleepy, won't play, etc.
This kitten was spayed and declawed one week ago Friday (declaw was
unwanted, see thread "Tragic Mistake" before getting out the flame
throwers, please!).

Has anyone given this OTC drug for humans to their cats? Needless to
say I do not feel inclined to trust this particular vet's advice.
Thank you.

Old November 15th 03, 07:26 PM
MacCandace

Has anyone given this OTC drug for humans to their cats? Needless to
say I do not feel inclined to trust this particular vet's advice.
Thank you.

I just did a google search because I have taken sudafed before and, although I
tolerate almost every medication I've ever taken well, sudafed makes me very
hyper and unable to sleep. 30 mg seems awful high for a little kitten.

A HREF="http://www.pettimes.com/"http://www.pettimes.com//A

"The ingredients in these preparations for humans often include a decongestant
such as pseudoephedrine, an antihistamine, and a painkiller such as
acteaminophen. If these drugs are ingested, dogs and cats may show signs
ranging from lethargy to excitement to seizures. Even vapor rub and zinc
lozenges can make pets sick. If a pet eats any amount of human medication, call
your veterinarian and be ready to describe what, when, and how much the pet
ate.
It may seem odd that the same drug helpful to a human could make a pet very
sick. But, not only are pets much smaller than we are, but their bodies work
differently. That makes even a small amount of some human medications
potentially lethal for pets. “It’s important to keep all your medications
away from pets, and don’t try to medicate animals without first asking a
veterinarian,� says Dr. Volmer."

But in
HREF="http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/catrespir.html#Chronic%20snuffling%20cat
s%20and%20older%20kittens"Respiratory Problems in Cats/A

under a letter, "Chronic upper respiratory infections," this other vet does say
it is used sometimes. So I guess it's one of those things that is a matter of
opinion. Do you personally have a vet you go to and trust who you could call
and ask if this is a safe drug for kittens? This poor kitty is having such a
hard time of it, it's so sad.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old November 15th 03, 08:06 PM
Wendy

If you get just pseudofed and not a combination medication it should be OK.
They sell various products under the pseudofed name so careful label reading
is in order. Make sure it ONLY contains pseudoepherine HCl.

http://www.pharmacyhealth.net/d/pseudofed-9124.htm

Wendy

Old November 15th 03, 08:18 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"MacCandace" wrote in message
Has anyone given this OTC drug for humans to their cats? Needless to
say I do not feel inclined to trust this particular vet's advice.
Thank you.

I just did a google search because I have taken sudafed before and,

although I
tolerate almost every medication I've ever taken well, sudafed makes me

very
hyper and unable to sleep. 30 mg seems awful high for a little kitten.

I have no idea if Sudafed (just the decongestant, not combined w/anything
else) is okay for a cat or not. Otoh, even if it is, 30 mg seems high to
me, too, since a human dose is 30 - 60 mg, every 4 - 6 hours.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon