Locks OT

Old June 6th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default Locks OT

If you have a Lowe's Hardware store in your area, please use it and thank
them for me. We went in to get new locks for our front, back, and garage
access door. Two of which use the same key. We're looking at the displays
of dead bolt locks with dismay. To replace what we had with the same style
of lock would cost almost $40/lock. That would be $120 that we just don't
have. We're making the decision as to which doors we will leave with the
old locks when the head of the door hardware department comes up to help us.
We explain what our problem is and he says, "do you have the door knobs with
you? Or the keys, that will tell me what I need to know." Rob had his set
of keys and the manager was able to tell the brand of lock from the size and
style of the key. The long and short of it is that the manager re-keyed our
locks for $5/knob. We were able to get all three knobs done and a key for
each member of the family.

I also went and got my replacement driver's license this morning. I had to
be able to drive so that I could take Miss Calico Girl for her check back on
her poor ear. Dr Stevenson was pleased with how she is doing and says that,
if there are no complicatons, she should be good as new in 3-4 weeks. I can
live with that. I did hear Miss Calico Girl use a rather unlady like
expression, but other than that, she was very well behaved.

Pam S.

Old June 6th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep ©

tanadashoes wrote:
[...]

Good for you!

We just had to replace our (formerly flimsy) front door with a new steel
core door*. The lock set that I bought came with a master key that you
can use to recode the locks to a new key.

*Long story, short version: I went out back without Annie (d-pet) and
she jumped at the door, hitting the latch and locked me out. The
weakest door on our house is the front. I pried up a window to gain
access to the front porch, and then kicked in the front door,
splintering the frame. Actually, I should say that the 200+ lb guy
that's doing our yard work kicked in the front door.

One whack is all it took.

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old June 7th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 6, 5:36*pm, Magic Mood Jeep © wrote:
tanadashoes wrote:
[...]

*^..^ This is Kitty. Copy and paste Kitty into your signature to help
her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
email me at nalee1964 (at) comcast (dot) nethttp://community.webshots.com/user/mgcmdjeep- Hide quoted text -

I am embarrassed to admit that we just got the front door lock fixed
last week.
It broke in about 1998 and we haven't been able to lock the house
since then, either
from the inside *or* outside.
So now we lock ourselves out on a regular basis. Oy. thunk

Sherry
Old June 7th 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 6, 4:14*pm, "tanadashoes" wrote:
[...]

Yay for Miss Calico girl!
Hope things go smoothly w/all the replacement stuff.

Sherry
Old June 7th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You sound like you are doing better with family and keys than I ever have.
I've had the current set of locks rekeyed three times. And they are the
third set of locks. Well it has been almost forty years.

But over time, my kids have lost so many house keys that I think we were the
only ones in town in danger of getting locked out of this house.

Jo

Old June 7th 08, 07:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jofirey wrote:

You sound like you are doing better with family and keys than I ever have.
I've had the current set of locks rekeyed three times. And they are the
third set of locks.

What does it mean to have a lock "re-keyed"? If the purse snatcher got
her keys and her address, simply making duplicates of those keys won't
help much. So I'm assuming it must mean something else, but what?

Whenever I've had a problem where someone had a key to my place and I
didn't want them to have access, I would change the lock. I didn't realize
there was any other way to deal with it. I can certainly understand Pam's
dismay at finding out how much new deadbolts cost, so it's great that
she was able to fix the problem much more cheaply.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old June 7th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Magic Mood Jeep ©" wrote in message

Good for you!

We just had to replace our (formerly flimsy) front door with a new steel
core door*. The lock set that I bought came with a master key that you
can use to recode the locks to a new key.

*Long story, short version: I went out back without Annie (d-pet) and she
jumped at the door, hitting the latch and locked me out. The weakest door
on our house is the front. I pried up a window to gain access to the
front porch, and then kicked in the front door, splintering the frame.
Actually, I should say that the 200+ lb guy that's doing our yard work
kicked in the front door.

One whack is all it took.

We were lucky, the couple who had the house before us did everything except
the alarm company. Front and back doors are steel core (our Christmas
wreaths are held on the door by hooking metal coat hangers over the door
with the hanger part out so that the wreath will work on it). The frames
are also metal and won't splinter if someone tries to kick the door in. The
doors have two dead bolt locks, one in the knob and one independent one, and
the glass on the back door is supposedly shatterproof. I don't want to try
it to find out. The locks on the windows are not quite the old fashioned
ones that you see in most windows, or so I'm told. I just know that I'm not
as worried as I was two nights ago when every sound was someone trying to
break in.

Pam S.

Pam S.

Old June 7th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

wrote in message
Jofirey wrote:

You sound like you are doing better with family and keys than I ever
have.
I've had the current set of locks rekeyed three times. And they are the
third set of locks.

What does it mean to have a lock "re-keyed"? If the purse snatcher got
her keys and her address, simply making duplicates of those keys won't
help much. So I'm assuming it must mean something else, but what?

Whenever I've had a problem where someone had a key to my place and I
didn't want them to have access, I would change the lock. I didn't realize
there was any other way to deal with it. I can certainly understand Pam's
dismay at finding out how much new deadbolts cost, so it's great that
she was able to fix the problem much more cheaply.

And those were the cheap deadbolts. Christine's website describes what the
locksmith/manager at Lowes did for us. He removed the inner core of the
knob, took out the little pins, inserted one of our new keys and inserted
pins to match the new key. That done, he put the inner core back into the
knob, re-assembled the knob (I was impressed with how many pieces there are
in a door knob) and made us the three keys we needed to complete the set. I
had heard the term re-keying the lock, but didn't know what exactly it is
and how it worked. I also thought that it would be more expensive than a
new dead bolt. I'm glad it isn't.

Pam S.

Old June 7th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message
Jofirey wrote:

You sound like you are doing better with family and keys than I ever
have.
I've had the current set of locks rekeyed three times. And they are the
third set of locks.

What does it mean to have a lock "re-keyed"? If the purse snatcher got
her keys and her address, simply making duplicates of those keys won't
help much. So I'm assuming it must mean something else, but what?

Whenever I've had a problem where someone had a key to my place and I
didn't want them to have access, I would change the lock. I didn't realize
there was any other way to deal with it. I can certainly understand Pam's
dismay at finding out how much new deadbolts cost, so it's great that
she was able to fix the problem much more cheaply.

There are pins inside a lock that determine how a key had to be shaped to
turn the lock. All lock of a type are made the same, then the pins set to
make it different from others and to use a unique key. Its pretty common to
when you have two locks (or more) on you home, to have both of them 'keyed'
alike. Really it means to have the pins set alike.

Often when people talk about having locks changed, that is all they mean,
having the pins changed and new keys made.

We have four locks, to regular in the knob and two strong deadbolts our two
doors. They are all keyed the same. The deadbolts only work with a key so
if anyone does manage to break in through a window, they aren't getting back
out through the door.

Jo

Jo