Mystery solved

Old June 8th 04, 06:12 AM
Steve Touchstone

Default Mystery solved

As you probably know, I run a little kitty cafe for the neighborhood
cats here. (Rocky is self-appointed maitre d', and usually sits in the
lawn chair and watches the comings and goings.) I fill the bowl when
Rocky comes in for the night. All the cats around here have homes now,
thankfully no more ferals, so they're not really hungry and there's
usualy still food in the morning. For the past week the bowl has been
empty in the morning. I've been wondering if we might have new ferals,
a newly abandoned pet, or perhaps just some kittens growing up who are
shy and I haven't seen yet.

Just solved the mystery. It's a wild newby, seemed kind of shy, fully
grown... possum. The new guy waddled off as soon as I got up from the
computer and walked towards the door.

Our last possum was a lot bolder - would come up to the bowl with me
on the other side of the glass door a couple feet away. This was back
before LB moved in. We had a complex kitty, Spot, who slept around - I
think he just slept in whichever apartment was offereing the best
dinner. One night I was sitting in the recliner with the sliding door
opened, hoping that Spot would be coming to dinner and spending the
night. The old possum waddled in and proceeded to explore the
apartment. A neighbor finally trapped and relocated him several years
back.

Rocky was caught in the trap set for the possum and spent several
hours in it, which is why I had such a hard time catching him later
on. He won't get near anything that looks like a trap.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old June 8th 04, 11:13 AM
Sherry

Just solved the mystery. It's a wild newby, seemed kind of shy, fully
grown... possum. The new guy waddled off as soon as I got up from the
computer and walked towards the door.

I think they're cute. The last one we had was pretty peaceable with the cats.
If he starts causing trouble with the neighbors, there's a lady named Yolanda
Braden who is a wildlife rehabber over there. I'm thinking about calling her
about a squirrel problem we're having. Someone on the block turned loose a pet
squirrel in town, and our tenants are having trouble. It keeps "attacking"
their daughter. Just to play, but the poor thing is going to get killed somehow
I'm afraid.

Sherry

Sherry