Houston Humane Society is advertising front paw declawing!!

Old February 11th 07, 10:05 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dan Espen

Default Houston Humane Society is advertising front paw declawing!! -slight correction

Charlie Wilkes writes:

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 12:20:43 -0700, Cat Protector wrote:

Yes, it was noted that their is a free neuter day but to bunch that in with
declawing a cat as a way to promote their health is pretty disgusting.

Hmmm. It seems to me that cutting off a cat's nuts is a pretty
substantial form of mutilation. It's done to make the animal into a more
satisfactory domestic pet, right?

Don't try logic, it won't work.

I'd like to see a picture of the 15K couch.
(Before the cat gets to it.)
Old February 11th 07, 10:06 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ivor Jones

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote
in message
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 12:20:43 -0700, Cat Protector wrote:

Yes, it was noted that their is a free neuter day but
to bunch that in with declawing a cat as a way to
promote their health is pretty disgusting.

Hmmm. It seems to me that cutting off a cat's nuts is a
pretty substantial form of mutilation. It's done to make
the animal into a more satisfactory domestic pet, right?

It's done to help reduce the sheer number of cats in the world. You do
realise that one tom can be responsible for over 20,000 descendants in a
single year, right..?

Ivor

Old February 11th 07, 11:01 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:06:36 +0000, Ivor Jones wrote:

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote
in message
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 12:20:43 -0700, Cat Protector wrote:

Yes, it was noted that their is a free neuter day but
to bunch that in with declawing a cat as a way to
promote their health is pretty disgusting.

Hmmm. It seems to me that cutting off a cat's nuts is a
pretty substantial form of mutilation. It's done to make
the animal into a more satisfactory domestic pet, right?

It's done to help reduce the sheer number of cats in the world. You do
realise that one tom can be responsible for over 20,000 descendants in a
single year, right..?

Ivor

So why not give the cat a vasectomy and thereby preserve the horomonal
conditions bestowed by sweet Mother Nature?

Charlie
Old February 11th 07, 11:18 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
janette ducharme

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 12:20:43 -0700, "Cat Protector"
wrote:

in order to protect is $15,000 couch.

Who spends $15,000 on a couch? Around here there are places where you
can get good quality leather couches for under $1500.

You show me soneone who spends $15,000 on a couch and i'll show you
someone who got taken to the cleaners.

If you're spending $15,000 on a couch you need your head examined.

Old February 11th 07, 11:36 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote

So why not give the cat a vasectomy and thereby preserve the horomonal
conditions bestowed by sweet Mother Nature?

Hmm, good point.

Old February 12th 07, 12:21 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:06:36 +0000, Ivor Jones wrote:

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote
in message
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 12:20:43 -0700, Cat Protector wrote:

Yes, it was noted that their is a free neuter day but
to bunch that in with declawing a cat as a way to
promote their health is pretty disgusting.

Hmmm. It seems to me that cutting off a cat's nuts is a
pretty substantial form of mutilation. It's done to make
the animal into a more satisfactory domestic pet, right?

It's done to help reduce the sheer number of cats in the world. You do
realise that one tom can be responsible for over 20,000 descendants in a
single year, right..?

Ivor

So why not give the cat a vasectomy and thereby preserve the horomonal
conditions bestowed by sweet Mother Nature?

Charlie

Probably because he'd still behave like an un-neutered male - mating (even
thought he would be shooting blanks) and fighting. He'd have the opportunity
because an un-neutered male would be much more difficult to keep in or
around ones home as he'd be quite inclined to wander off looking for some
'action'. This would also put him at risk of meeting up with what my vet
told me is 25% of the stray population that is testing positive for feline
AIDS and/or Leukemia. From the point of actually living with him the stench
from the box would be a real joy and he'd be a bit of a lousy neighbor
because of his inclination to 'mark' the neighbors house, porch and/or
bushes while marking his territory. If his mommy and daddy displease him or
try bringing in another cat he's likely to mark every doorway in the house
while marking that territory too.

A un-spayed female wouldn't be any more of a picnic to live with. Although
she probably wouldn't do much marking the howling and yowling while rubbing
up against anything that doesn't move away fast enough could be a bit of a
distraction. Getting out of the house without little Fluffy following to see
if she could 'score' could be challenging. Her chances of developing breast
cancer is increased as are the possibility of hefty vet bills when she runs
into 'female' troubles.

Both would have shorter lives because I don't think sweet Mother Nature had
a 15 - 20 year life span in mind.

Old February 12th 07, 12:33 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

Who is this ass? Any thinking person would have figured out that I said
spaying/neutering is ok but not declawing by claiming it too is good for a
cat's health.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

Old February 12th 07, 01:57 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ryan Robbins

Default Houston Humane Society is advertising front paw declawing!!

This is disgusting! I wrote a few days ago to defend some of the HSUS
practices, but this is absolutely revolting. Read what the Houston Humane
Society (note: Houston, not the national HSUS) is advertising as a
"Valentine's Day special" for cats (free neutering accompanied by a
*reduced rate for front paw declawing*):

"We will be neutering 300 male cats only (NO FEMALES) that day. There
will be no general public surgery-other than the male cats. We will be
declawing only a small amount of male cats for the normal price of $60
(front paws only)."

The flyer also says, "Show your cat you love him on Valentine's Day by
helping him live a longer, healthier life."
In other words, they are really saying: show your cat you love him by
mutilating his front feet.

I'm against declawing, too. But you have grossly misrepresented the ad. The
ad says nothing about a reduced rate for declawing. The "Valentine's Day"
special is for neutering.

Old February 12th 07, 01:58 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ryan Robbins

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
Yes, it was noted that their is a free neuter day but to bunch that in
with declawing a cat as a way to promote their health is pretty
disgusting.

The ad says nothing of the sort.