Options for insulin resistant cat?

Old May 29th 05, 01:13 AM
Brian Link

Default Options for insulin resistant cat?

A friend has a cat recently diagnosed with diabetes. They've
experimented with a vast range of dosages, but even at a very high
dose the cat is not improving.

Their vet has thrown up his hands and said "nothing more we can do",
though the younger vet on staff is suggesting to send the cat to the
University because there are some newer strategies available. The
University vet is a pretty extreme measure -

Anyone know what other strategies these might be?

BLink
Old May 29th 05, 01:19 AM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
Brian Link wrote:

A friend has a cat recently diagnosed with diabetes. They've
experimented with a vast range of dosages, but even at a very high
dose the cat is not improving.

Their vet has thrown up his hands and said "nothing more we can do",
though the younger vet on staff is suggesting to send the cat to the
University because there are some newer strategies available. The
University vet is a pretty extreme measure -

Anyone know what other strategies these might be?

Well, as an insulin resistant *human*, I know that low-carbing has
helped me control my blood glucose. If the cat's on a high
cereal-content cat food, I suggest moving it to a meat-based catfood.
That'll probably mean going to premium catfood.

Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong
Old May 29th 05, 01:20 AM
Elle

The expertise at the following forum is astounding. Give blood sugar levels,
how your friend is monitoring the cat's blood, and what you're feeding the
cat, for starters, and ask there.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/list.php?8

"Brian Link" wrote

Old May 29th 05, 03:08 AM
Rhonda

Yikes, sounds like the cat is in trouble. If you give too high of a
dose, the blood sugar results are skewed because the cat's system starts
doing all sorts of strange things to compensate for a load of insulin.
Sounds like the vet might not be too savvy about diabetes.

Please have your friend sign onto the message board at
www.felinediabetes.com. They have helped hundreds of cats through their
incredible experience.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Brian Link wrote:

A friend has a cat recently diagnosed with diabetes. They've
experimented with a vast range of dosages, but even at a very high
dose the cat is not improving.

Their vet has thrown up his hands and said "nothing more we can do",
though the younger vet on staff is suggesting to send the cat to the
University because there are some newer strategies available. The
University vet is a pretty extreme measure -

Anyone know what other strategies these might be?

BLink

Other options to Hill's C/D prescription diet [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 7 March 17th 05 07:48 PM
Tip Resistant trashcan prototype Stormin Mormon Cat anecdotes 3 January 2nd 05 06:50 PM
Other food options besides Hill's s/d? Missie Tingley Cat health & behaviour 8 May 20th 04 03:26 PM
Euthinasia options? jesseH Cats - misc 2 April 5th 04 11:17 PM
putting to sleep options? jesseH Cat health & behaviour 16 April 5th 04 02:46 PM