If we ever needed purrs

Old February 10th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default I can walk! Thanks everyone

Methinks the purrs are working their usual magic

I can walk! Not very quickly but without feeling I might fall over
and only some stiffness and discomfort rather than pain. I managed to
get to the shop over the road without using a crutch (I hate taking a
crutch when shopping- tryng to handle the crutch and carrier bags on
the stairs is a recipie for an accident and with two bannisters I am
able to climb the stairs but I'll take it to work) and as befits my
jetsetter lifestyle I did the important stuff- cleaning the litter
box.

My boss called to see if I would be in and I told her yes but I can
only walk slowly and I really can't stand for any length of time so as
I said "Isn't it great I have a job where I can sit on my a*** all day
long?" as I have said before she does have a sense of humour and
laughed at that

Anyway everything is organised for the morning- before i go to bed
I'll put my clothes in the living room so all I have to do is get up
and I can leave Dave in peace, walk to the cab office (2 doors down-
I'll come back on the tube through otherwise it will get very
expensive but my foot will be sore and stiff first thing) and I make
it to work (and just bet my main consultant the lovely Davy G thinks
it is outrageous that I can't claim the cab fare back after all he
does it all the time!)

And Dunzi appears to have stopped trying to kill us- she's still a bit
shocked after last night- it really wasn't deliberate honest but we
decided to raid the Chinese for tea and when I went to get it she must
have slipped out and I didn't realise until an hour or so later even
then I just thought she was hiding but i opened the front door on the
off chance and there she was! Sarsi is having the day off from Hoomins-
she does this every so often, she turns up at mealtimes (of course!)
then goes back to one of her hidey holes that we know nothing about to
plot the downfall of the Hoomin race

In the meantime I've just realised Dunzi who is sitting next to me
headbutting and kneading is quite happily kneading a new pair of
tights I just put out for the morning!

Tomorrow I get back to work and I get back to chasing the district
nurses to sort Dave out and we get back to getting him out (Quiz night
on Wednesday? A possibility but not sure don't want to re do this
sprain!)

Once again thanks for all the purrs

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old February 15th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Various updates

Got up Monday and was pleased to find the worse problem was getting my
tights over the strapping- it's no easy and left me with one of those
pairs if tights that have massive holes but at least not where anyone
can see them! Then again that could have been because they had been
pre treated by Dunzi's claws.

I've made it to work all week although the next person to call me
"Hoppalong" is dead and I maimed a commuter yesterday. He was running
and not looking where he was going and cannoned into me effectively
pushing the crutch away so I had to struggle to get it back in place
and that hurt. I could live with this but his muttered " you shouldn't
use the tube in the rush hour" as far as I am concerned counts as
provocation and it's amazing how much weight you can apply (especially
if you're as large as me) through the ferrule of a crutch when you've
"accidentally" (He nearly knocked me over I was struggling to get my
balance honest) put the ferrule on the foot of a prat who has just
annoyed you! Let's say he didn't walk off

Best comment of the week was from Ricky at work "Darling- two
different shoes! Interesting fashion statement but it doesn't work"

A couple of people have asked why I didn't just stand on the cat
(although equal numbers first question was "Is the cat okay?") to
which my reply was along the lines of "Her vet bills are a lot dearer
than mine"

Bev was a bit funny when I got back to work although she praised me
for coming in saying that a lot of people would have seen this as two
or three weeks off on a certificate on Monday when she caught me
asking someone else if they could take my post up- there was a lot of
it and I wasn't 100% sure I could carry that and the crutch and handle
the stairs so she was like "I said you had to be 100% fit to come
back" and I was like " I have to be a bit careful but needing help
getting the post upstairs hardly strikes me as a justification for
taking the week off"

Then again I saved the entire department according to her yesterday
when I let them have my secret stash of address labels

I can now walk round the house without a crutch and even a short
distance outside without one but it feels a bit stiff today so I had
the day off

Dave's mum got dad to the assessment. From the way she'd been talking
before we thought he was going to be in hospital for 2 weeks but it
turns out (I find Dave's mum a bit hard to deal with as she will
exaggerate things) he had to go along for one day and they'll go back
in a few weeks to find out how often if at all he needs to go to the
day centre. They've finally been told they have to give up the car (I
was worried about the fitness to drive issue), which has driven her
into a frenzy about how to get a taxi to have her hair done- she only
trusts a hairdresser about 50 miles away (I understand that I have my
own favourite hairdressers and a fair share of hair disasters myself)

She said the weirdest thing to me she mentioned a friend of hers whose
husband had dementia and told me "in the end it was a merciful
release". With my grandmother yes, she was so far gone she went beyond
the time she recognised my mother and she asked who I was and mum said
"My daughter" and she started having a go because the last thing she
could recall was my mum aged about 16 and she was shocked mum had had
a daughter out of wedlock! For the last 18 months of her life, she
might as well have been dead, she sat in a wheelchair staring at
nothing and the staff would put her to bed, wash her, dress her etc
but we always felt her mind died before her body had and when her body
gave up there was a sense of we weren't sad because we'd mourned the
loss of her as a person 18 months before

But I just find what Dave's mum said a bit creepy. I know she's
anticipating grief but this soon? Still we all go through these things
on our own timescale

Last night I saw Matt whom some of you have been purring for he's now
got an appeal about being rehoused, turns out that the last time they
looked at his forms they didn't look at the back up statements from
his consultant and his GP and should have so now they are considering
them-.he has also to his huge surprise been promoted at work to a
senior position, which may also put him in the frame to be able to
offer Tony a permanent job with steady hours so they and Fuzzbutt
could about afford to rent a place privately (although of course
Fuzzbutt will not pay being a cat- Often in the mornings when it's
cold and I am getting ready for work I anticipate the Hell of the tube
and look at the Furballs who have nothing more to anticipate than a
snooze after breakfast and I ask myself the crucial question "Which
one of us was supposed to be the superior species again?") but he's
only on probation in the post and being Matt i.e. a decent guy who
doesn't use the system , he wants to make sure if he did get a private
flat then he would afford the rent, which he can't be sure of for 3
more months i.e. until he passes probation. In the meantime someone
else has moved into where he's currently staying under sufferance and
she wants his room so it isn't too pleasant to say the least

Hugh's dad has sorted out a paid carer for his mum until they can sort
his sister out

And there's Dave's and the district nurses. Finally spoke to someone
on Monday who seemed to not know what I was talking about and ended
the conversation with "Okay we come round tomorrow!"

They didn't of course and I called and spoke to the same person on
Tuesday who said, "We come round tomorrow!" and slammed the phone down
before I could say "But you said that yesterday!"

And again they didn't. And I have left messages with the tissue
viability nurse team and had no reply. Dave has not had a dressing
change for 4 weeks. Okay if he's been discharged that's fine but we
need to know. In the meantime, he's wearing a dressing that only 6
weeks ago he was told would have to be changed every week or the
consequences would be dire. He can't have a bath or shower with it on
without a lot of difficulty and some risk (He's been banned from the
shower this week because of my foot) and the skin under the dressing
is itching like mad. Dave can't help it sometimes he just has to
scratch but we don't know if that isn't damaging the underlying skin.

I have finally got him to agree that he will make a complaint on
Monday

Old February 16th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Dave's mum called last night (late I don't like that- to me any phone
call between 10pm and 9am tends to be bad news) to say the assessment
people have given her a contact number if things get bad and are
arranging for someone to take him out for an hour or so a couple of
times a week to give her a break,. She's not happy, she wanted him to
be taken to the day centre she saw while they were there every day so
he could sit and watch telly all day (she told me she "didn't want him
cluttering the place up"- charming! She's almost as bad as my mother
for tactless remarks although my mother was in a league of her own!)

My foot seems to be stiffer than it was but not as painful thankfully
and I can almost get my shoe back on (I can squeeze my foot in to it
but it's tight and hurts). I am starting to get down about it since
the last time I sprained my ankle was not quite 7 years ago and I went
to work the next day because we were short staffed then popped into
the local walk in centre to get it strapped on the way home and by a
week it was more or less okay. Either this is much worse sprain or
this is part of that getting old thing- must say I am not impressed so
far and find myself humming apt song lyrics (I do this-at the moment
I've got the line "What a drag it is getting old" from the Stones
"Mother's little helper". I once got off the phone after one of those
"We're cutting staff to your department but you won't have to work any
harder" calls from the powers above then realised I was humming the
Who's "Won't get fooled again") then again what's the alternative to
getting old? Yeah I would like to put that off for a while even
through I'll see those tabby terrors Fugazi and Isis and Speedy Joe-
now that's a point.,,,,if I were to cross the Bridge before the
Fabulous Furballs would I have to wait for them? Doesn't sound too bad
to me I could skritchie cats all the time not an unpleasant way to
spend the afterlife

Must stop feeling down about something I have no control over- it's
getting better it's just taking longer than I thought it would-
obviously it's a worse sprain than the last one and nothing to do with
getting on a bit. As Adrian says growing old is compulsory, growing up
is not and Mel at the club on Thursday was shocked (as people often
are) she thought I was 35-40 and didn't believe I was 50 so there!

Dave's saying he wants to go out- I think he's bluffing a bit since I
said "Sunday lunch at the Half Moon okay!" I can walk about on carpet
and it wouldn't be the end of the World if I had to take the crutch
with me for safety reasons and the justification of not going on the
grounds a cab makes it expensive is somewhat waived by both of us
needing it even through I could get on a bus-not sure about standing
through and thankfully so far on the tube either there have been seats
or some kind lady (it so far has been women only) has offered me their
seat!

At this moment, we have tentively pencilled in either grill night at
the Half Moon (Tuesday) or Quiz night in the "Bells" (Wednesday). I'd
prefer the second we can both walk that far and it's been a long time
since I stretched my brain on a quiz night (just before Xmas when I
won the quiz where I work)- hey! Keeping fit when you're older does
include exercising the brain! (One of my favourite exercises is
anything that does not involve physical working out. I walk and I
dance but the idea of a gym horrifies me!)

Old February 16th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Lesley" wrote in message
[...]

I understand your feelings about exercising. I hate the idea of a gym, too.
I also prefer exercising my brain. I host a group that plays Trivial
Pursuit or some other game once a month, and play other games whenever I get
a chance. I've discovered that AARP (a US organization for people over 50)
has a website with assorted games and puzzles. It's at
http://www.aarpmagazine.org/games/, in case you're interested, and they
don't keep out younger people either. A few of them ask your age, but you
can be any age to play.

Considering all you've been through, and are still going through, it's
amazing that you look so young for your age. I think if I'd gone through
all that by the time I was 50, I would have looked 65 or 70.

I do think you probably just hurt the ankle worse this time. I've sprained
ankles several times in the past, and some times were much worse than
others. I know it's frustrating, especially with everything else you have
on your plate, but baby it as much as you can, and it will get well
eventually.

Joy

Old February 16th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Feb 16, 11:34*am, "Joy" wrote:
On Feb 16, 11:34 am, "Joy" wrote:

I understand your feelings about exercising. I hate the idea of a gym, too.

I have no problem with exercise per se I walk a lot more than most
people as I hate waiting around for buses etc I just fail to get the
point of exercising for no more reason than exercising. I do have an
exercise bike but haven't used it for years (apart from as a coat
rack) because I realised if I got on a bike I wanted to be going
somewhere

Considering all you've been through, and are still going through, it's
amazing that you look so young for your age. I think if I'd gone through
all that by the time I was 50, I would have looked 65 or 70.

Cheers- it's partly genetic both my parents looked 10+ years younger
than they were when they died and as I say to people who wonder which
expensive skin cream I use etc (I only really stopped using soap and
water on my face about 5 years back now I just use generic face wipes)
"It's the formaldehyde from cigarettes and the alcohol I don't look
young I'm just preserved and pickled"

I do think you probably just hurt the ankle worse this time. *I've sprained

ankles several times in the past, and some times were much worse than
others.

Thanks- you've made me remember the time I was very nearly in plaster!
Maybe it's just nowadays I can cosset the ankle more in terms of being
able to afford to get cabs etc. Come to think of it in the "Good old
days" when I had to struggle to work or lose money etc. It would
appear my foot was better but it would take a lot longer to settle
down completely, including the time when I thought it was okay and it
went again 4 weeks later

Old February 16th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Feb 16, 11:34*am, "Joy" wrote:

I understand your feelings about exercising. *I hate the idea of a gym, too.
I also prefer exercising my brain. *I -

I both play and referree RPG's as well as doing word puzzles, reading
a lot and creative writing- in fact my brain is all muscle- just a
pity that doesn't translate to the rest of me!

Old February 16th 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley wrote:

I have no problem with exercise per se I walk a lot more than most
people as I hate waiting around for buses etc I just fail to get the
point of exercising for no more reason than exercising. I do have an
exercise bike but haven't used it for years (apart from as a coat
rack) because I realised if I got on a bike I wanted to be going
somewhere

This is a healthy attitude, but for some of us, if we didn't take out
the time to exercise for exercise's sake, we'd never get any! I drive
to work every day, I have a sit-down job, and most of my hobbies are
sedentary activities. I used to love bike-riding, but I now live in a
area with huge hills, and I don't enjoy riding in that terrain anymore.
It's a disincentive. Also, I don't have a bike, another disincentive.
(OK, I have one, but it's extremely dysfunctional and not worth riding.)

So I do have to carve time out of my day to "exercise". But I've made
it into an enjoyable activity. I've set up a tv and dvd player in front
of my treadmill, and each time I work out, I watch an episode of "Heroes".
(Or part of an episode, when I'm less motivated!) I still have many eps
to go, I'm still watching Season 1. I guess Season 2's not on DVD yet,
but I hope it will be by the time I'm done. I'm totally addicted to it,
which means I actually look *forward* to exercise time!

Joyce
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old February 16th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

wrote:
Lesley wrote:

[...]

No release date yet for season 2, season 1 was released at the end of August
last year so it will probably be then this year, or maybe later if the
writers strike delayed it.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old February 17th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Feb 16, 12:32*pm, wrote:
So I do have to carve time out of my day to "exercise". But I've made
it into an enjoyable activity. I've set up a tv and dvd player in front
of my treadmill, and each time I work out, I watch an episode of "Heroes".
(Or part of an episode, when I'm less motivated!)

That sounds a pleasant way to exercise except of course I'd be too
interested in the screen to do more than plod along!