Sort of back online

Old May 21st 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Sort of back online

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote.
News connectivity back for the moment, although this is the second backup
computer -- main computer had a bad disk crash before leaving for St.
Louis,
and the LINUX/Windows machine was power-dead this morning.
Things are slowly recovering, although not the same without my own cats.
Mr.
Clark, Rhonda, and Ding are staying with my ex, Kathleen, and her
housemate;
I've talked to Mr. Clark over the phone. He is recovering well from some
nasty dental problems, which were worse than I had realized. Indeed, he is
recovering so well that he's not even dominance-challeging the resident
dogs -- he simply raised a head and hissed "begone". They scattered.
It doesn't surprise me that Ding is hiding much of the time, although he
does come out at bedtime when Kathleen sleeps in their room. As they do
with
me, Mr. Clark gets on her chest and Ding gets on her legs. He does
occasionally demand a belly rub.
It does surprise me that the normally very extroverted Rhonda is staying
in
hiding, cuddled with Ding. She did respond to me on the phone.
Meanwhile, my friends' cat, officially Tiger but answering to Fuzzbutt,
usually sleeps with me. He's quite cuddly, and doesn't seem bothered by
some
cuts and an irritation on his face. We think he's getting into the drop
ceiling and scratching himself on something; there have been at least 3
distinct cuts on his cheek and brow. They've merged into a good-sized
scabbed area, and he's lost fur above it. One of my friends here is a
human
physician, and thinks there might be a reaction to triple antibiotic
ointment, which we had been using.
When it started to affect his eye, he, of course, went to the vet. It
wasn't
clear if the reaction was purely allergic or allergy with infection, but
he
did get a corticosteroid injection (Decadron/dexamethasone) with
amoxicillin, and is now on amoxicillin with clavunate (Augmentin). The
area
looks ugly, but isn't sensitive when touched. Himself has taken to
complete
back sprawl on my bed, paws at random angles and, when awake, wanting
chest
rubs. He's a kisser, but not as much as Mr. Clark, and has the three dogs
well trained. More dogs are coming; my friends are still moving from
Louisiana.
I'm hoping to be able to arrange a car and drive to Massachusetts to pick
my
guys up within a month or so.

I'm sure Mr. Clark & the others miss you, Howard.
Thank God you're back! (read medical/illness/medicine threads)
rpca has morphed into a clinic forum
and I am only the bone guru.
I hope the worst is over for your move, etc.

Old May 21st 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:
[...]

Glad to see you posting again, Howard. I hope it won't be too long before
you're reunited with your clowder.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old May 21st 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

HB, Have you checked out uship.com for the kitty transport? You can list
your need free of charge and get people to bid on doing it (moving your
kitties). Pick and choose your driver from among many rated drivers who will
be competing for your business.

Pat

Old May 22nd 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in message
news
HB, Have you checked out uship.com for the kitty transport? You can list
your need free of charge and get people to bid on doing it (moving your
kitties). Pick and choose your driver from among many rated drivers who
will
be competing for your business.

Part of the deal in my ex's housemate coming down to help was that I'd
personally get them. He was very adamant about them going with someone they
knew.

Old May 22nd 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-21, Howard C. Berkowitz penned:
News connectivity back for the moment, although this is the second
backup computer -- main computer had a bad disk crash before leaving
for St. Louis, and the LINUX/Windows machine was power-dead this
morning.

At least newsreading shouldn't be a very taxing application for your
backup machine =)

I'm very glad to see you back. I hope that you can soon collect your
kitties.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 22nd 06, 08:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

News connectivity back for the moment, although this is the second backup
computer -- main computer had a bad disk crash before leaving for St. Louis,
and the LINUX/Windows machine was power-dead this morning.

Things are slowly recovering, although not the same without my own cats. Mr.
Clark, Rhonda, and Ding are staying with my ex, Kathleen, and her housemate;
I've talked to Mr. Clark over the phone. He is recovering well from some
nasty dental problems, which were worse than I had realized. Indeed, he is
recovering so well that he's not even dominance-challeging the resident
dogs -- he simply raised a head and hissed "begone". They scattered.

Howard, I've been wondering and worrying about how you are doing and how
the cats are doing. I'm glad that your ex and her housemate are willing
and able to take the family in, and hope that you can get them back
soon. I'm sure they miss you as much as you miss them. I hope that you
will be able to collect them soon and that all goes well. How are you
doing? How bad were you damaged when your car(?) was wrecked? What can
the group do to help you out, besides ask the owners to purr for you to
be re-united with your babies asap? Take care and please keep us informed.

Pam S.
Old May 22nd 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

welcome back, Howard. Glad to hear things seem to be settling down for you.
Hope you can be with your darlings soon.
Lily & her mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Old May 22nd 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

Physically, not at all. As I got out, I found I couldn't stand, and had the
good sense to call 911. As an aside, I can't say enough good things about
the Arlington County, Virginia, emergency services. The police did get me
checked immediately by paramedics, but, as I explained about the stresses of
the past few weeks, with Mr. Clark being on top of the list, they got the
on-duty mental health responder to the accident scene. Essentially, she
diagnosed that I had gone over the limits of exhaustion, and needed a few
days of rest and observation.

It's funny how sleeping on a real bed, after several weeks of a bedroll
because my bed had been shipped, getting a hot shower, etc., helped get me
out of a fugue. The hospital that had beds available wasn't ideal, as it
basically was intended for people in complete psychotic breaks, not anxiety
and depression, and not short-term (few days) intervention. The most useful
thing was art therapy, where I discovered, after not doing charcoals for
20-30 years, that I can still sketch decently freehand -- not a skill
especially relevant to the situation, but some relief from the constant
pressure. Fighting the medical bureaucracy to get what I needed, in its way,
was also useful -- getting me out of the immediate rut.

Getting someone to help with the move (there had been some plans earlier
that fell through due to illness) also was a major factor.

Now that I'm in St. Louis, I'm staying with friends that have medical
qualifications, and are urging me to ease back more slowly. I do have an
office set up in the house and am doing more and more from here.

I need to work on the strategy for getting my three back, but part of that
is being sure my reaction times are back to being safe for a long drive.

Another forward Nanny Cat anecdotes 0 September 4th 05 08:31 PM
I'm back! (did anybody miss me?) (Hurricane story - VERY LONG) Karen AKA Kajikit Cat anecdotes 5 August 30th 05 01:56 PM
Moved & back online [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 2 July 5th 05 10:59 PM
Decorating the Tree With Mommy CatNipped Cat anecdotes 53 January 17th 05 11:59 PM
We're back from Purrth (long) badwilson Cat anecdotes 24 July 20th 04 04:09 PM