Slightly Irritated

Old May 16th 12, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Slightly Irritated

/begin minor rant

I mentioned I'm cat sitting. That's no big deal. I like Schwartzie and
Fedders, they're very sweet. My neighbor is also an avid gardener. She has
tons of outdoor potted and hanging plants. I have never been exceptionally
strong, so dragging garden hoses around to water plants isn't something I'm
willing to do. She asked someone else to tend to the plants. And that's
fine with me.

The problem is, this person is also letting the cats in/out and feeding
them. (She's conveniently ignored scooping the litter box.) There should
have been enough of Schwartzie's r/x food to last the week, but I think this
person has also been feeding it to Fedders. Now the bag of k/d is empty so
I'll have to feed him the c/d and double up on the Fancy Feast.

Last night when I went over Fedders came running to the door wanting in. I
hadn't let him out! I couldn't find him when I went over yesterday
morning... because apparently he was already outside. And I couldn't find
Schwartzie. I went back over around 9PM, still no sign of him.

This morning it's the exact opposite: Schwartzie is inside but I couldn't
find Fedders in the house. Lynn closed off the two guest bedrooms so there
are only so many places they can hide.

The temperatures here in SC have been very mild. I have only needed to run
the air conditioner a couple of times. When Lynn left she told me she'd
been keeping the glass slider to her side patio open, with just the screen
door closed to let in the fresh air. I've been following suit. This
morning when I went over the glass door was closed. I sure didn't close it!
So this friend of hers who is only supposed to be watering potted plants is
also letting the cats in and out. And feeding them.

I talked with Lynn yesterday and told her about this. She said she'd speak
with her friend about it. Maybe she couldn't get in touch with her. All I
know is I can't find Fedders this morning. He was not in the house. And
it's going to rain today. Her cats do not like being out in the rain.

I'm going to leave a note on the kitchen counter asking this person to
please not let the cats out! How can I be responsible for them if I can't
find them? Does this make sense or am I irritated over nothing?

/end rant

Jill

Old May 16th 12, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

you are completely justified and whilst a few days on the wrong food won't
hurt too bad, it certainly won't help and it seems to me that if they have a
slave that is willing to buy scripted food a friend who has any sense would
know how to feed them, or leave it alone to someone who does, i think i
would be more than irritated with the plant friend, Lee

Old May 16th 12, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Thanks, Lee! I didn't think I was unjustified in being peeved about this.
I don't see how I can be responsible for the cats if I don't know whether
they are inside or outside.

I'm sure it won't hurt Schwartzie to eat c/d for the next few days. Or
extra FF. But I was given very specific instructions about what to feed
them and how much to feed them. Also when to let them in and out. It's
supposed to rain today and, surprisingly, her cats don't like to get wet

This plant-watering friend of hers has thrown everything off kilter.

Jill

Old May 16th 12, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

as i read this i thought, what if they get sick and are out and you don't
know it... how upsetting would that be, at least if they are in and out when
they are supposed to be you can have a handle on how they are doing, i mean
i am sure they are doing fine, but with older cats with recognised
conditions it is most important to monitor their behavior, and how are you
to know since their schedule is all off... crap jill i am irritated for you,
lol, Lee

Old May 16th 12, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

You are absolutely right!

Joy

Old May 16th 12, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , jmcquown
wrote:
[...]

I agree with you. If you have been trusted with the care of the cats, as
you have been, then no one else should interfere. How can you look after
them if you don't know where they are?

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

My sentiments exactly! I just went over to bring in the mail and dish up
the evening meal. I called and called. Fedders finely came running. So I
guess he was outside all night, which is not what my neighbor wanted. Just
in the nick of time, too. It's about to rain.

Jill

Old May 16th 12, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

I'm sure you posted about this woman before and she was exactly the same
when, Lyn, went away. I do hope she can be persuaded to leave the cats
alone and just tend to the plants.
--
Adrian
Old May 16th 12, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
as i read this i thought, what if they get sick and are out and you don't
know it... how upsetting would that be, at least if they are in and out
when they are supposed to be you can have a handle on how they are doing,
i mean i am sure they are doing fine, but with older cats with recognised
conditions it is most important to monitor their behavior, and how are you
to know since their schedule is all off... crap jill i am irritated for
you, lol, Lee

Those are my thoughts exactly, Lee! If I don't know where they are how can
I know they're okay?

I just went over to bring in the mail, refill the water bowl and top off the
kibble. I dished up some FF. Then I stood outside and called for Fedders.
He came running! (Too bad he didn't do that last night.) So, the poor boy
was out all night and all day today. The poor little guy was famished!
(Thankfully Lynn keeps water bowls outside so at least I know he wasn't
thirsty.) The bottom line is I have to know where they are in order to take
proper care of them.

Jill

Old May 16th 12, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

you know its pretty rude of the plant person to interfere, i mean what if
you watered some plants whilst the cats eat and they died because of
overwatering... would upset plant person i am sure, but then you have the
sense to not do that, Lee

Old May 17th 12, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

I just went over to bring in the mail, refill the water bowl and top off the
kibble. I dished up some FF. Then I stood outside and called for Fedders.
He came running! (Too bad he didn't do that last night.) So, the poor boy
was out all night and all day today. The poor little guy was famished!
(Thankfully Lynn keeps water bowls outside so at least I know he wasn't
thirsty.) The bottom line is I have to know where they are in order to take
proper care of them.

I suggest that when Lynn gets back this time, pick a good time and go over
there and have a discussion with her about it. She needs to have a good
talk with her plant waterer. And I think she should know that you're doing
your best to be responsible and take good care of her cats, but you have
no control over what this woman does. That's not a workable situation for
you, or for the cats, either.

Good luck. Purrs for no more 24-hour lockouts!

--
Joyce

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth
concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.
-- Louis D. Brandeis