Recommendations on cordless clippers.

Old July 19th 04, 02:29 AM
Jacques E. Bouchard

Default Recommendations on cordless clippers.

I'm looking for recommendations on a good cordless clipper to cut the
hair of a (very impatient) cat.

He has very thick fur and must be trimmed once or twice a year
(especially for the summer months), but he's fidgety and won't stand still
for two minutes without throwing a tantrum. For that reason, I need
something that'll cut through his coat quickly and easily so that I can get
it over in 2-3 sessions - and something that will follow the cat as it
sulks away (this ought to be an Olympic event).

I currently use a domestic hair trimmer, but the comb has difficulty
going through my cat's thick hair, and it takes a long time.

Any recommendations, particularly on mail-order houses in Canada?
I've looked at a few model (Oster, Arco, Wahl) but I'd like to get first-
hand accounts of their performance.

jaybee

Old July 19th 04, 04:15 AM
Sherry

Any recommendations, particularly on mail-order houses in Canada?
I've looked at a few model (Oster, Arco, Wahl) but I'd like to get first-
hand accounts of their performance.

jaybee

We go through a lot of clippers at the shelter; I can't give you any
recommendations right now but I do recall that the cheap ones burn up in no
time. I'll ask the shelter manager the brand name of the one she likes....also,
you can ask a local groomer for a recommendation. They'll be pretty
knowledgeable about the best ones.

Sherry

Old July 19th 04, 07:50 AM
-L. :

"Jacques E. Bouchard" wrote in message . 254...
I'm looking for recommendations on a good cordless clipper to cut the
hair of a (very impatient) cat.

He has very thick fur and must be trimmed once or twice a year
(especially for the summer months), but he's fidgety and won't stand still
for two minutes without throwing a tantrum. For that reason, I need
something that'll cut through his coat quickly and easily so that I can get
it over in 2-3 sessions - and something that will follow the cat as it
sulks away (this ought to be an Olympic event).

I currently use a domestic hair trimmer, but the comb has difficulty
going through my cat's thick hair, and it takes a long time.

Any recommendations, particularly on mail-order houses in Canada?
I've looked at a few model (Oster, Arco, Wahl) but I'd like to get first-
hand accounts of their performance.

jaybee

Get either a Oster or Kim Laube Lazor Clip
(http://www.kimlaubeco.com/lchp.html) cordless animal grooming unit (I
prefer the Kim Laube). The Oster #10 blade or equivalent is what you
want to use for basic grooming. The Kim Laube blades are more
expensive, IIRC. Don't bother with the corded units - they are a pain
to use. There are a ton of sources where you can order on-line and
have them shipped to CAN. be careful, though - all of the blades are
extremely sharp and if used improperly can cut the skin very quickly
to the point that it needs to be sutured. If you are able to, observe
a professional groomer using the instrument you are interested in
purchasing.

HTH,
-L.
(former groomer)

Old July 19th 04, 02:18 PM
Sunflower

"Jacques E. Bouchard" wrote in message
54...
[...]

For the amount of money spent on clippers that will *really* do the job and
last more than one cut, you can purchase the services of a pet groomer
umpteen times to perform the service for you. And, save on the scratches
and ill will as well.

Old July 19th 04, 03:49 PM
Theresa

[...]

Mine have a cord but I love them. I bought them thru the vet. They're
the same kind he uses. The brand is Oster and they cost about $150
with tax.