New scratching post dissed

Old December 15th 05, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default New scratching post dissed

Kitty FC sometimes scratches at the arm of my settee, the upright part, and
she always gets her claws caught. This is not fun for either of us when I
try to get her free.
So, imagine my surprise when I went into my local thrift shop near my
workplace and there was a brand new scratching post in there!! Nice fur
covered base, 18 inch high sisal post and a little fur bit at the top. A
bargain at only 2 British pounds, around 4 dollars or so.
Of course I had to have it, no question about it.
I bore it home proudly. Set it right beside the arm of the settee where
Kitty likes to scratch. I thought she would love it.
Totally ignored to date.. sigh

Tweed

Old December 15th 05, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:01:37 -0000, "Christina Websell"
yodeled:

Kitty FC sometimes scratches at the arm of my settee, the upright part, and
she always gets her claws caught. This is not fun for either of us when I
try to get her free.
So, imagine my surprise when I went into my local thrift shop near my
workplace and there was a brand new scratching post in there!! Nice fur
covered base, 18 inch high sisal post and a little fur bit at the top. A
bargain at only 2 British pounds, around 4 dollars or so.
Of course I had to have it, no question about it.
I bore it home proudly. Set it right beside the arm of the settee where
Kitty likes to scratch. I thought she would love it.
Totally ignored to date.. sigh

Tweed

It doesn't smell familiar yet. Sometimes you gotta get them started,
prime the pump a little bit. When I bring a new post in, I rub catnip
all over it. That gets 'em started scratching, and once they get
started . . .

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old December 15th 05, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Kitty FC sometimes scratches at the arm of my settee, the upright part,
and she always gets her claws caught. This is not fun for either of us
when I try to get her free.
So, imagine my surprise when I went into my local thrift shop near my
workplace and there was a brand new scratching post in there!! Nice fur
covered base, 18 inch high sisal post and a little fur bit at the top.

bargain at only 2 British pounds, around 4 dollars or so.
Of course I had to have it, no question about it.
I bore it home proudly. Set it right beside the arm of the settee where
Kitty likes to scratch. I thought she would love it.
Totally ignored to date.. sigh

Tweed

Tweed, please excuse my chuckle or two. We have three cats. Aggie
Marble never scratches anything and has looong claws that we are always
clipping. Victor is always so busy running here and there and

everywhere
that he needs only an occassional trim. Now Mr. Pumpkin is a different
story. He scratches the sofas, two of them, four arms, the recliner and
other items that we have managed to hide or make to difficult for him to
get to. We have bought him all size and shaped scratch boxes, posts,
hangings. It is really the silliest thing to see, he and I at a
scratching post with me on my knees and he at his post beside me with me
giving him very serious scratching post lessons. He pays little
attention, I think he is snickering. I am still the scratching post

champ
of the house.

Charleen

Old December 15th 05, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2005-12-15, Kreisleriana penned:
[...]

Me, too.

I also scratch on the post myself, and take Oscar's paws and "help"
her scratch a bit.

I don't know if Kitty would allow that kind of manhandling, though.

I also praise Oscar whenever I see her using the post. Unfortunately,
that only helps once they've already started using it.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old December 15th 05, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:21:41 -0700, "Monique Y. Mudama"
yodeled:

On 2005-12-15, Kreisleriana penned:
[...]

I do that too! Stinky is very good at imitating.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old December 15th 05, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
Kitty FC sometimes scratches at the arm of my settee, the upright
part, and she always gets her claws caught. This is not fun for
either of us when I try to get her free.
So, imagine my surprise when I went into my local thrift shop near my
workplace and there was a brand new scratching post in there!! Nice
fur covered base, 18 inch high sisal post and a little fur bit at the
top. A bargain at only 2 British pounds, around 4 dollars or so.
Of course I had to have it, no question about it.
I bore it home proudly. Set it right beside the arm of the settee
where Kitty likes to scratch. I thought she would love it.
Totally ignored to date.. sigh

Tweed

One of the scratching posts I have was rescued from a skip, even more of a
bargain. :-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old December 15th 05, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Kitty FC sometimes scratches at the arm of my settee, the upright part,
and she always gets her claws caught. This is not fun for either of us
when I try to get her free.
So, imagine my surprise when I went into my local thrift shop near my
workplace and there was a brand new scratching post in there!! Nice fur
covered base, 18 inch high sisal post and a little fur bit at the top. A
bargain at only 2 British pounds, around 4 dollars or so.
Of course I had to have it, no question about it.
I bore it home proudly. Set it right beside the arm of the settee where
Kitty likes to scratch. I thought she would love it.
Totally ignored to date.. sigh

Tweed

Give it some time. Megan recommended a great (tall) scratching post some
time ago. When I told her that both Holly and Duffy completely ignored it,
she gave me the same advice that I gave you. It took about 3 weeks, then
they suddenly couldn't get enough of it. In fact, that is the post that I
used for the front of the Christmas cards I made this year (for those of you
on the rpca holiday card list, it's the picture of Duff perched on top of
the post reaching down toward Holly).

MaryL

Old December 15th 05, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Thu 15 Dec 2005 06:39:45p, MaryL wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes (news:a9nof.8200$9G.3273@dukeread10):

Give it some time. Megan recommended a great (tall) scratching
post some time ago. When I told her that both Holly and Duffy
completely ignored it, she gave me the same advice that I gave
you. It took about 3 weeks, then they suddenly couldn't get
enough of it. I

Hmm.. I guess every cat is different, just like people. Every time I
get a new post and bring it in, they are all trying to be the first
to scratch it. Mark it, I guess. I've brought in 3 new ones since
last year. All carpet covered. I hate those because they eventually
pull out carpet threads that make a mess, but the owners seem to like
that kind.

--
Cheryl
Old December 16th 05, 05:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:01:37 +0000, Christina Websell wrote:

Kitty FC sometimes scratches at the arm of my settee, the upright part, and
she always gets her claws caught. This is not fun for either of us when I
try to get her free.
So, imagine my surprise when I went into my local thrift shop near my
workplace and there was a brand new scratching post in there!! Nice fur
covered base, 18 inch high sisal post and a little fur bit at the top. A
bargain at only 2 British pounds, around 4 dollars or so.
Of course I had to have it, no question about it.
I bore it home proudly. Set it right beside the arm of the settee where
Kitty likes to scratch. I thought she would love it.
Totally ignored to date.. sigh

Tweed

Rub some catnip on it. MLB
Old December 16th 05, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

Sorry, Mary, this is the only post from you I can see in this thread, there
doesn't seem to be a previous one giving advice?

Tweed