The bitties are he Good News and Bad News

Old July 7th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default The bitties are he Good News and Bad News

"Mischief" wrote:
I probably won't opt for overnight care since i want to bring them into
work, but i'll probably go for Sub-Q fluids and maybe a little
medication. Heck if they can give me the fluid bag and some needles,
I'LL give them the fluids myself.

Poor little things. They are looking up at me with these questioning
eyes. They are so adorable, and i hope i can get them the care they
need.

Wow, they really have issues. It's a good thing they came to a
properly certified vet tech and certified softie.

Old July 7th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cantate

Loud purrs from Jona, who remembers being a three-day-old bittie and
dealing with fleas. Purrs from Cherry who taught her how to use a
litterbox properly. Licks from Joy, who was a really good momcat even
though she's a dog.

Cantate

Old July 7th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

Mischief wrote:

Don't know anything about that either. They do know how to use litter
box, just not very well. And i'm afraid these are the first kittens
i've ever cared for, so i'm going to be doing a lot of studying and
asking a ton of questions.

Kristi

You'll do fine Kristi, just use your good common sense. We always fed
the foster kittens with Kitten formula in a dish if they could lap. It
helps with nutrients etc. But you are the person there and you'll do
just fine. Please keep us updated, and phone pictures are better than
none. Purrs from their cousins in North Carolina and good wishes from
us humans here.

Pam S.
Old July 7th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-07-06, Mischief penned:

BTW, they arrived past midnight so i slept in. At noon when i
finally rose i opened the door and went "Hello, little.......OH MY
GOD!!!!!" The stench was INCREDIBLE.

Both of them had watery diarrhea all over the bathroom floor. All
over the bath mat, on the towel/bed, in the litter box, behind the
toilet. And some of it was bloody.

Reminds me of Oscar as a kitten. The stench of her diarrhea was not
to be believed. IIRC that's the only time she's ever gotten a bath.
The vet gave me a dropper and I had to give Oscar oral meds several
times a day. I remember being terrified that she and I would never
bond because I had to do all this mean stuff to her before she'd had a
chance to get to know me. Purrs that these guys recover as quickly as
she did.

They both have appetites and are drinking, but i checked their skin
turgor. That's when you pinch and pull up a section of fur. If it
snaps back, the pet is sufficiently hydrated. On both of them it
was slow so they both dehydrated. I took their temperature, which
both of them struggled and they don't have a fever.

Speaking of which -- I knew about this trick, but hard to really see
the results on an uncooperative cat with long fur. Any suggestions on
where to pull up the fur for easy visibility? It seems like the skin
on her legs is too tight to really do this.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 7th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-07-06, Debbie Wilson penned:

I sometimes find that adding a sprinkling of powdered probiotic (we
use Lacto-B) onto the wet food speeds up the process of calming down
their systems.

Is that a formula for animals or a human product?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 8th 06, 08:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Is that a formula for animals or a human product?

I think it's for animals - I got it from my vet, anyway:
http://www.genitrix.co.uk/products/lactob.htm

Just noticed it's from a UK manufacturer but perhaps it's available in
the US too, or a similar product.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old July 8th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-07-08, Debbie Wilson penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Is that a formula for animals or a human product?

I think it's for animals - I got it from my vet, anyway:
http://www.genitrix.co.uk/products/lactob.htm

Just noticed it's from a UK manufacturer but perhaps it's available
in the US too, or a similar product.

I found this:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2025573&Ne=2

But I just don't think Oscar would drink fruit juice!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 8th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I found this:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...%3Eprd_id=8455
24441780436&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025573 &ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=
2534374302023690&bmUID=1152376810167&itemNo=11&In= Cat&N=2025573&Ne=2

But I just don't think Oscar would drink fruit juice!

LOL I doubt it!! Looks like it's designed to be more attractive to the
owners than the cats :-)

One safe way is to get a small tub of 'live' yogurt from a health food
store - check the label to see if it contains Lactobacillus acidophilus
and/or Bifidobacterium longum. I think live yogurts all contain
Lactobacillus. Offer him a teaspoon and see if he will lick it
voluntarily - it will do him no harm.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

"He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would; He
only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield
Old July 8th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I found this:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2025573&Ne=2

But I just don't think Oscar would drink fruit juice!

You can just get the Acidophilus capsules from a health food store.
Break a capsule and sprinkle the contents into and mix with Oscar's
food. I think it is tasteless. I have no problem getting Rusty to take
it. But
now I just give him yogurt which he likes and is much cheaper. I eat
yogurt regularly too. You should see how
fast we go through a tub of yogurt.

Winnie

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 9th 06, 06:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-07-08, Winnie penned:

You can just get the Acidophilus capsules from a health food store.
Break a capsule and sprinkle the contents into and mix with Oscar's
food. I think it is tasteless. I have no problem getting Rusty to
take it. But now I just give him yogurt which he likes and is much
cheaper. I eat yogurt regularly too. You should see how fast we go
through a tub of yogurt.

Oscar is not interested in yogurt; I've offered it to her a few times,
but no go.

For now I'm just going to let her tummy settle on its own. She's
eating dry food while she's in the collar (and yes, she's drinking
lots and lots of water), and I don't think sprinkling anything on the
dry food would be a good idea right now.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully