[OT] Good News / Bad News

Old November 30th 05, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Good News / Bad News

No More Retail wrote:
Where are they temporarily living at? Are they going to rebuild
there?

Not sure how good your memory is (nor mine, since I don't recall if you were
hangin' in RPCA when Katrina hit or not), but Lori's family is currently
staying with her, near Houston, TX. They are from Chalmette, in St. Bernard
Parish, LA. Their house was under about 3-4 (or more) feet of sea water for
about 3-4 weeks, and everything was ruined! All electrical appliances
destroyed (kitchen as well as entertainment), and since it was salt water it
was all sitting in, most anything salvageable (the kids bikes, etc) will
probably rust away to nothing.

Since the water receeded slowly, enerything stayed damp for a long while,
and the drywall, carpeting, woodwork either warped or was covered in mold -
thus had to be ripped out and will have to be replaced.

In LA I know of no insurance company that are writing policies but I
believe there is coverage available thru FEMA that helps home owners
rebuild or cover rebuilding.

I will send the info to him and see what he says. I remember seeing
something like this on the news that homeowners rebuilding could get
loans but no with out insurance.

If your credit is good enough you may need to co sign with them and
run "CatNipped" wrote in message
"No More Retail" wrote in message
Catnipped where did she get loan approval at which state I mean
is she going to build in. As soon as I find out maybe I can
check with my lawyer and see who can help

Matthew

They live in St. Bernard, Louisiana (ground zero for Katrina). They've
had
to strip their house to nothing but the brick and studs and have to
rebuild
from there. They got the approval of the low-interest loan from the
Small Business Association, but can't get the funds until they have
the house insured.

Hugs,

CatNipped

"CatNipped" wrote in message
The good news... My daughter got approved for a low-interest (2%)
Small Business Association loan for $120,000 ($90,000 for
repairing the house and
$40,000 for furnishings).

The bad news... The SBA won't give her the money unless she has

insurance
on
the house, the insurance companies will not insure the house until
it is
completely restored, she can't restore the house until she gets the

loan,
she can't get the loan without insurance, and round, and round they

go!!!
:

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 30th 05, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

My wife was posting but I didn't come in till mid September

Reason asking where they are a few of the states are offering Katrina
victims no interest or low interest loans.
A few place our offering incentives for people to rebuild in new areas
Plus wanted to see if temp. insurance was available in the area

I saw plenty of those houses out there but thank you for the update

Old November 30th 05, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
The good news... My daughter got approved for a low-interest (2%)
Small Business Association loan for $120,000 ($90,000 for
repairing the house and
$40,000 for furnishings).

The bad news... The SBA won't give her the money unless she has
insurance
on
the house, the insurance companies will not insure the house until
it is
completely restored, she can't restore the house until she gets the
loan,
she can't get the loan without insurance, and round, and round they
go!!!
:

Hugs,

CatNipped

Here are the pictures at various stages of their recovery:

The first time they went back to view the damage (it was 3 or 4 weeks after
the storm before the waters receded enough for them to get back to their
house) - these first pictures are blurry because my daughter was shaking and
crying while she was taking them:

http://www.possibleplaces.com/StBernard/Erin/

Here they are emptying the house of all their possessions (the first picture
is of a gulf shrimp delivered fresh to their door ;):

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Recovery1/

In this latest one (taken over Halloween weekend) they started pulling down
all of the wall and ceilings and talking out all the wiring:

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Recovery2/

They're at the place now where they have to start buying roofing slates and
other big-ticket items, so they're waiting to see about what funding they
can get. As I said, they got approved for the SBA loan, but they need
insurance on the house first and, going by even the latest pictures, no
insurance company wants to insure the shell of a house.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 30th 05, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote:
In this latest one (taken over Halloween weekend) they started pulling down
all of the wall and ceilings and talking out all the wiring:

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Recovery2/

They're at the place now where they have to start buying roofing slates and
other big-ticket items, so they're waiting to see about what funding they
can get. As I said, they got approved for the SBA loan, but they need
insurance on the house first and, going by even the latest pictures, no
insurance company wants to insure the shell of a house.

That's pretty good! It was a radical procedure but at this point it
looks like a newly framed house.

Old November 30th 05, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Takayuki" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote:
In this latest one (taken over Halloween weekend) they started pulling

down
all of the wall and ceilings and talking out all the wiring:

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Recovery2/

They're at the place now where they have to start buying roofing slates

and
other big-ticket items, so they're waiting to see about what funding they
can get. As I said, they got approved for the SBA loan, but they need
insurance on the house first and, going by even the latest pictures, no
insurance company wants to insure the shell of a house.

That's pretty good! It was a radical procedure but at this point it
looks like a newly framed house.

Yep, the one thing they have going for them is that they're both *VERY*
handy (they put their own roof on a few year ago). All they need is the
cash to buy the big-ticket items - they can do the install themselves and
then just get an inspector to sign off on the work.

Hugs,

CatNipped