Too hot today

Old March 13th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Too hot today

the netting is basically vinyl screen the use on screen porches

"Cheryl Sellner" wrote in message
On Sun 12 Mar 2006 09:10:52p, Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )
wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

I laid down that netting than rich top soil on it than the roll
out. weeds are very limited. the landscaper keeps up really
well with everything. I get the yard sprayed to keep everything
under control. I used the roll out gardens in the windows
shelf's and never have a problem. The saint Augustine grass is
a pain in the a@2 to keep up. I am honestly thinking of astro
turf no more worries but I have a lot of land to cover if I
do.

Thanks. What netting? I get the worst weeds here. Part of my yard
gets weeds that are hard to step on, where there should be grass.
I'm about ready to hire a company to come fix it for me. That stuff
is like velcro, and in the fall it's impossible to blow leaves off
of it with a blower, and you need a rake.

As for astro turf, weeds will probably still grow through that! Or
if there's something where they won't, I'd love to learn about it.
I have an enclosure outdoors for the owners, and I put down that
indoor-outdoor carpet because it gets muddy. This time of year I
have to clean it out before letting the owners out because weeds
have grown through it during the winter, and sand has half covered
it from the slope next to the house that drains where the enclosure
is.

Reminds me. Anyone who has an outdoor enclosure, are any of them
self-contained and movable? I'd love to build something that I can
pull up close to the house, but move it away when I need to.

--
Cheryl

Old March 13th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl hiring a professional is the best way to deal with it. It cost a
little but worth wild in the end and no head aches

Old March 13th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Victor Martinez wrote:
Adrian wrote:
If you're too hot you should be in England, we have snow on the
ground.

That sounds lovely! I just came in from planting and weeding in the
garden. Tom is still out there, but I couldn't take it anymore. It's
only 86F (30C) today, we have a nice breeze blowing. Yesterday it was
way hotter.

The hot season has definitely started here. It's 10 am and it's already
32C (90F) and by this afternoon it will be close to 37C (100F). The
humidity is 80%
I can't get out of here fast enough!
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old March 13th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sun 12 Mar 2006 09:32:14p, Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )
wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
m):

Cheryl hiring a professional is the best way to deal with it.
It cost a little but worth wild in the end and no head aches

*sigh* You're probably right. BUT, you gave me an idea. Laying down
the netting (screen) before planting could help with another problem
I had. A couple of Autumns ago I planted *I **** you not* about 200
bulbs - tulips (many various types, fancy ones), and other Spring
flowering bulbs. Of those 200, I had maybe 3 tulips come up, and a
few Crocus; Hyicinth never came back after the first year. My yard is
a literal maze of underground tunnels from moles or voles. You sink
when walking across the grass. Since moles are carnivores (whatever
that species is called that eats grubs and worms) it must be voles or
mice eating the bulbs. Or maybe squirrels digging them up.

--
Cheryl
Old March 13th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Adrian wrote:

If you're too hot you should be in England, we have snow on the ground.

It snowed for most of last week here. They say it's the coldest March in
a long time.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old March 13th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:
"Christine K." wrote in message

Too hot? Welcome to Finland. Some 20-30 cm of snow in unplowed areas
and -6 degrees C (21 degr. F). It was about -15 C (3 F) only last week.
The kitties tend to find the warmest spots to snooze: in the sauna before
we bathe there, even during sometimes, under covers in the bed making
bed-bumps (Laku too, nowadays), in the corner of the sofa. The apartment
managers must have decided it's spring, no matter what the temps are...

-6 C is fine with me. Even -15 C I can tolerate. It is the -20s and -30s
that I
found hard to bear. But I am not complaining. Yesterday it was up to +10C
here in Canada's capital.
The snow on the ground is melting. The snow banks which are way taller to me
should start to come down. The maple syrup sap is running. In 3 weeks I can
maple syrup from this year.
Can spring be far away?

It's warm during the day here (around -6 C, like Christine said), but it
still goes way down during the night, so the snow isn't even starting to
melt. In fact, like I mentioned, it snowed here most of last week. I'm
getting pretty tired of the white stuff. Also, I'd like to be able to
keep the door to the enclosure open all the time, so the cats could go
in and out at will, but it looks like we'll have to wait at least until
May, with the way things are going now.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old March 13th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Mark Edwards wrote:

Note: As soon as he realized I wasn't "supervising" he came back over
and laid his head on the cold-pak. Poor baby! I guess I need another
one - this one is his.

Awww!

Also, Dulce Mae has curled her tail around my glass...

I've never seen a cat seek out cold. I guess our climate isn't hot
enough. ;o)

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old March 13th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Marina" wrote in message

It's warm during the day here (around -6 C, like Christine said), but it
still goes way down during the night, so the snow isn't even starting to
melt. In fact, like I mentioned, it snowed here most of last week. I'm
getting pretty tired of the white stuff. Also, I'd like to be able to keep
the door to the enclosure open all the time, so the cats could go in and
out at will, but it looks like we'll have to wait at least until May, with
the way things are going now.

Sounds like Finland's winter gets as bad as Canadian one. Ottawa is known as
the 2nd coldest
capital in the world, just behind the capital of Mongolia, and even colder
than Moscow.
I know what you mean about getting tired of the white stuff. I long to ditch
my
snow boots and put on sandals. Also I can't wait to leave windows opened
so Rusty can get some fresh air. Spring can't come soon enough.

Last night we got fog and this morning it is raining. Thunder storm was
forecasted
for this afternoon. Then a bit of snow in the next few days. Crazy weather!
It is the freezing I dreaded the most. I still remember the 'Ice Storm of
the Century'
when many places lost power for a long time and the army came into town to
help out. Don't want to see that again.

Winnie
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi

Old March 13th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" 10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com wrote in message
I remember those days you can have them no calculators allowed had to do
it all by hand Trig and Calc. one problem could take 5 sheets of paper. I
am glad I graduated years ago and got my degrees early in life. I salute
these younger ones doing it between school, work, a life, family and
trying to make it in the expensive world. I say I am proud of them

Ask a typical high schooler to do a math problem with out a calculator.

Calculators?! When I was in college, we used slide rules. Now you probably
have to go to museums to find them. Yes, I know, I am ancient.

Winnie