any cat friendly fly repellent?

Old March 13th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default any cat friendly fly repellent?

With the milder weather, I am getting flies in my home. Rusty likes to catch
and
eat them which I doubt is good for him. I want to use some fly repellents
but
wants to make sure it is OK to use around cats.
Any suggestions?

--
Winnie

Old March 13th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"W. Leong" wrote in message
With the milder weather, I am getting flies in my home. Rusty likes to
catch and
eat them which I doubt is good for him. I want to use some fly repellents
but
wants to make sure it is OK to use around cats.
Any suggestions?

--
Winnie

Fly paper is safest, but also grossest. Just make sure you put the sticky
strip out of Rusty's reach.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 14th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Why not? Cats catch and eat quite a few insects (mine are more partial to
grasshoppers, which have a bit more "meat" on them than flies). I agree
the idea of our cats eating flies is a bit repellent to us humans, but I
really don't think it can hurt them any.

Rusty has eaten many flies in his life and he is still around after
all these years. So I guess it is OK. Plus he is not as active in catching
them now.
But I still need to do something about the flies.
One time I came home from vacation and found lots of dead flies on the
floor.
It was gross. Rusty was boarded at the vet, so he didn't get to eat them.
My windows are all closed so I don't know how they got in. My neighbour
keeps a very clean house and she also got lots of flies.

Winnie

Old March 14th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

Why not? Cats catch and eat quite a few insects (mine are more
partial to grasshoppers, which have a bit more "meat" on them than
flies). I agree the idea of our cats eating flies is a bit
repellent to us humans, but I really don't think it can hurt them
any.

Rusty has eaten many flies in his life and he is still around after
all these years. So I guess it is OK. Plus he is not as active in
catching them now.
But I still need to do something about the flies.
One time I came home from vacation and found lots of dead flies on
the floor.
It was gross. Rusty was boarded at the vet, so he didn't get to eat
them. My windows are all closed so I don't know how they got in. My
neighbour keeps a very clean house and she also got lots of flies.

Winnie

Perhaps hanging "fly strips"? I'm not even sure they still sell those. My
parents used to hang them in their garage to keep flies from coming in via
the kitchen door. Flies are annoying.

Jill

Old March 14th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:

One time I came home from vacation and found lots of dead flies on the
floor.
It was gross. Rusty was boarded at the vet, so he didn't get to eat them.
My windows are all closed so I don't know how they got in.

Probably there were fly eggs someplace from earlier, and they hatched
while you were gone. A disgusting thought, I know, but probable.

Joyce
Old March 14th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Magic Mood Jeep?" wrote:

Especially since flies lay their eggs on dead animals, and the eggs hatch
into *maggots*(that eat the dead animal) before they pupate into flies

Yes, well, it is not a pretty situation all around, is it?

But if she didn't have any dead animals around, including rotting
meat, where would they have laid their eggs?

Joyce
Old March 15th 06, 08:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl Perkins wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

Perhaps hanging "fly strips"? I'm not even sure they still sell those. My
parents used to hang them in their garage to keep flies from coming in via
the kitchen door. Flies are annoying.

Sometimes called flypaper, and I think some hardware stores still carry
it. There's a funny story in Pratchett's 'The Unadulterated Cat' about a
cat who stared at the swaying flypaper until he couldn't resist attacking
it...

When I was in Europe, they had a kind of cross between camping mosquito
coils and Glade plug-ins that you could use indoors and supposedly either
repelled or killed small flying insects. Certainly, I wasn't bothered by
mosquitos or flies when I was in houses using these even though they had
no window screens. But I don't think I've seen those particular products
in North America; only the more powerful outdoors versions.

You can buy plug-in electrical gadgets that are supposed to
repell pests ultrasonically. I've had them, from time to
time, and was not particularly bothered with insects, but
I'm not sure whether it was the gadget or just a pest-free
location.

Old March 15th 06, 08:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

John F. Eldredge wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:54:33 +0000 (UTC), Cheryl Perkins
wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

Perhaps hanging "fly strips"? I'm not even sure they still sell those. My
parents used to hang them in their garage to keep flies from coming in via
the kitchen door. Flies are annoying.

Sometimes called flypaper, and I think some hardware stores still carry
it. There's a funny story in Pratchett's 'The Unadulterated Cat' about a
cat who stared at the swaying flypaper until he couldn't resist attacking
it...

When I was in Europe, they had a kind of cross between camping mosquito
coils and Glade plug-ins that you could use indoors and supposedly either
repelled or killed small flying insects. Certainly, I wasn't bothered by
mosquitos or flies when I was in houses using these even though they had
no window screens. But I don't think I've seen those particular products
in North America; only the more powerful outdoors versions.

One thing to keep in mind is that, while some forms of flypaper are
basically glue strips, so that the flies remain stuck and die of
starvation, many brands of flypaper have poison mixed in with the
glue. The fly lands on the flypaper and takes off again, but the
poisonous glue sticks to its feet, and the fly ingests the poison when
it licks the glue off of its feet. Back in the 1970s, I remember
hearing warnings that flypaper gave off poisonous fumes as well, but I
don't know the truth of that statement.

But if the cat ate poisoned flies, it might not be very good
for the cat! (One argument against poisoning rats or mice
in an environment that includes a cat.)