Radioactive Iodine Therapy Treatment

Old December 21st 04, 01:29 AM
~Cat Lover~

Default Radioactive Iodine Therapy Treatment

Hi,
My cat is hyperthyroid so I am opting for this treatment as opposed to
the surgery or meds for the rest of his life.
Has anyone had this done for their cat?? I am mainly concerned about
what happens AFTER they come home..I do have other cats.
Thanks,

Old December 21st 04, 02:27 AM
Helen

"~Cat Lover~" wrote in message
Hi,
My cat is hyperthyroid so I am opting for this treatment as opposed to
the surgery or meds for the rest of his life.
Has anyone had this done for their cat?? I am mainly concerned about
what happens AFTER they come home..I do have other cats.
Thanks,

Did the vet fully explain the risks of the I-131 treatment vis-a-vis it
unmasking kidney failure? Have you actually used the meds for a while first
to see how his kidneys respond?

http://www.felinecrf.org/related_dis...erT_treatments

HTH

Helen

Old December 21st 04, 02:55 AM
~Cat Lover~

Hi Helen,
Right now he is on Methimazole, so we will find out later thru the
u/a, full CBC etc, etc...but you made a good point, he may not even be
a candidate for the RAIT until we find out thru those tests. He did
have a CBC in Feb, everything was normal back then, but his thyroid was
at a 3.3...he is now a 5.1 (4.8 being cutoff )
Any more help/info would be appreciated..
Shirley

Old December 21st 04, 03:07 AM
Mimi Forsyth

Has anyone had this done for their cat?? I am mainly concerned about
what happens AFTER they come home..I do have other cats.

One of my cats (age 18 at the time) responded very well to the treatment. I
could have brought him home& kept him isolated from the others, but opted to
leave him in hospital the recommended 2 weeks until he stopped being
radioactive. (Handling his urine, for instance, would have been difficult.)
We'll never know if the radiation could have caused or somehow influenced the
brain tumor which eventually killed him at age 22.

www.mimiforsyth.com

Old December 21st 04, 03:55 AM
~Cat Lover~

Awwwee...My Gosh 22 years old! My oldest is 19 1/2, her twin just
passed away 2 months ago.
But I guess I would always wonder if that may have had something to do
with the brain tumor as well (becuz I am so paranoid and worry so much
about my babies!)

I think I will do that too (keep him in the hospital) just to make sure
for my other cats' safety.

Old December 21st 04, 06:08 PM
Mimi Forsyth

I think I will do that too (keep him in the hospital) just to make sure
for my other cats' safety.

Your other cats' safety and your own!

It might interest you to know my cat who died of the brain tumor at age 22 was
declared "healthy enough from the neck down" to withstand surgery....but alas,
we live in Hawaii where there are no cat brain surgeons. The cat would have had
to go to Colorado or California for surgery and then submit to lengthy
quarantine coming home. I couldn't put him through that. He barely survived the
Hawaii quarantine years ago when he was young and healthy. It's a brutal thing.

www.mimiforsyth.com

Old December 23rd 04, 08:33 AM

My Cuddles had the I-131 treatment done in Jan 03 - he was 14 years
old. Other than his hyperthyroidism and dental problems he was fine.
Of my other 5, 2 have asthma and the other had vax fibrosarcoma in
1996. After Cuddles had his Iodine treatment he stayed 1 week in the
hospital and I followed all the disposal instructions for the litter
for 2 weeks post. I was told it's ok for us and the cats to go near
him, just not small children. Less than one year after that Cuddles is
diagnosed with intestinal adenocarcinoma and 3 of my other babies with
high grade tumors as well. I have been trying to find a connection
between Iodine treatment and Cancer. Please if anyone has any info -
let me know. I started a site for them - nothing much yet, but I hope
to be able to help others once I have the head to do it. - thanks, chris