Catupuncture? Cat acupuncture?

Old August 12th 03, 04:14 PM
Margaret Fine

Default Catupuncture? Cat acupuncture?

I think Oliver is a talented acupuncturist. When I went to bed last
night I felt awful (like I was coming down with something) and had the
start of a terrible headache. The headache got worse and worse as I lay
there and started bordering on migraine status. I felt too bad to even
get out of bed and get any medicine. Little Oliver came up to me and
sort of looked at me intently and then lay down curled up next to me.
He suddenly grabbed my hand in his paws and bit down hard on that little
boney part on the outside of my wrist. It hurt but he didn't break the
skin. Before I could recover from that bite he bit down hard again.
Just as I was about to scold him I realized that my headache was
receding fast, like a plug had been pulled and the pain was draining
away. Oliver looked me over and then snuggled with me, purring loudly.

I could see that his biting me like that could have released some
natural pain killer in the body but how did he know? I suppose it could
have been coincidental but his actions seemed so deliberate and he
really doesn't bite much (or that hard) since he became an adult.

Just another mystery, I guess.
--
Margaret Fine

Old August 12th 03, 05:54 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Margaret Fine wrote:
Just as I was about to scold him I realized that my headache was
receding fast, like a plug had been pulled and the pain was draining
away. Oliver looked me over and then snuggled with me, purring loudly.

Can I borrow Oliver? Maybe he can teach our gang how to do this. Yesterday
I had a bad migraine, I left work around 3pm, got home took my strong med
and then got into bed. When I woke up around 5pm I had 5 cats in bed with
me, but none tried acupuncture!
The pain stuck with me until I fell asleep around 10pm, I just hate these
stupid migraine/cluster headaches!

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old August 12th 03, 06:28 PM
polonca12000

That's wonderful, Margaret.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Margaret Fine" wrote in message
I think Oliver is a talented acupuncturist. snip

Old August 12th 03, 10:56 PM
Margaret Fine

Victor M. Martinez wrote:
Margaret Fine wrote:

Just as I was about to scold him I realized that my headache was
receding fast, like a plug had been pulled and the pain was draining
away. Oliver looked me over and then snuggled with me, purring loudly.

Can I borrow Oliver? Maybe he can teach our gang how to do this. Yesterday
I had a bad migraine, I left work around 3pm, got home took my strong med
and then got into bed. When I woke up around 5pm I had 5 cats in bed with
me, but none tried acupuncture!
The pain stuck with me until I fell asleep around 10pm, I just hate these
stupid migraine/cluster headaches!

I'd gladly send him for a visit if I thought he would teach the others!

You have my complete and totally sympathy about the migraines. I used
to suffer badly. Depending on who you spoke to I either had cluster
headaches or migraines. All I knew was that when I had them there was
nothing to do for them but take heavy meds and try to sleep. About 18
months ago when I was in at my Drs. getting a refill of my migraine meds
my Dr. said that she was just talking to a neurologist at Duke
University (My Dr is also a fellow sufferer) and he had mentioned that
the current thinking was a lot of migraines were triggered due to
inhaled allergies. These were allergies that might not trigger the
classic stuffy nose, runny eyes symptoms. She gave me my migraine meds
but she also gave me a prescription for allegra. Amazingly enough
taking the allegra has cut my migraines by about 80% I'm to the point
that I have started to realize when I need to take it (like after we get
an all day rain) so I don't have to be on the allegra all the time. I
think sometimes when I do suffer it is because I didn't start taking the
allegra soon enough.

I passed this information along to two other people I know that were
also suffering and both of them started on allegra and had their
migraines cut way down, too.

I hope you're feeling better today!

Margaret

--
Margaret Fine

Old August 12th 03, 11:16 PM
Stacey

As a fellow former migraine sufferer, I can empathize! I now only get the
occular flashing.. very rarely do I get the pain or the nausea any more
(thank God). I wouldn't wish 'em on my worst enemy!!!!

Stacey

Old August 13th 03, 12:21 AM
bewtifulfreak

"Margaret Fine" wrote in message
I think Oliver is a talented acupuncturist.

That is *amazing*. But then, I have heard that cats are very intuitive and
insightful, with almost a sixth sense, so it does make sense. It certainly
seems odd that he would cuddle up, and then, out of the blue, bite you like
that - twice, no less - and then just cuddle up again, unless there was a
reason for it. I guess that's part of the appeal of cats, their mysterious
ways....

Mine haven't done anything quite like that, but my Kismet used to give me
little massages, kneading my back, and they were often in just the right
spot. And if I feel under the weather, I always feel physically better with
a cat cuddled next to my body. I wonder if it's like dolphins? Just being
around them helps psychologically, because they're so friendly, but I read
an article awhile back that said that they also emit a certain form of
energy that affects the body/brain waves, so they actually have a positive
physical effect as well. I wonder if cats give off similar 'good vibes'?

Anyway, thanks for sharing about your little holistic kitty doc, Margaret!

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Old August 13th 03, 01:11 AM
Margaret Fine

bewtifulfreak wrote:
[...]

Hi Ann,

I have to believe that kitty purrs are helpful on a physical level. I
used to have insomnia but ever since Oliver came to join us I have slept
very well. I attribute it to the fact that every night he snuggles in
the crook of my arm and purrs. I keep telling my husband that Oliver's
purrs must be on the same frequency as my brain waves and it puts me to
sleep.

I'll have to add "doc" to his growing list of nicknames!

Margaret

--
Margaret Fine

Old August 13th 03, 01:17 AM
Hopitus2

Going by the reports in this thread, our BT Rowdy must be a "master massage
therapist", if unlicensed, and we ought to rent him out as such....his love
bites are frequent and notorious here, but no one here has migraines so we
just regard them as one of his "personality quirks" (an annoying one!). His
therapeutic nocturnal toe nips have been known to ascend to
near-wake-the-dead proportions, but if any migraine sufferers wish to hire
his massage talents, Rowdy requires a private jet and pilot to his
destination, plus his staff to minister to his needs, plus his agents to
negotiate in his behalf. Not to belittle your painful symptoms but Imitrex
would be considerably less expensive.

"bewtifulfreak" wrote in message
: "Margaret Fine" wrote in message
: ...
: I think Oliver is a talented acupuncturist.
:
[...]

: --
:

Old August 13th 03, 04:29 AM
bewtifulfreak

"Margaret Fine" wrote in message

I have to believe that kitty purrs are helpful on a physical level.

Well, like I said, I always feel physically better with the cats around me,
and I feel poorly a lot due to health probs, so I believe it.

On this page about accupressure points -
http://www.holistic-online.com/Remed...cupressure.htm - it
says:

"For headache on the sides of the head or temples:

TW 5: on the forearm, three finger widths above the wrist crease, between
the two bones."

So it sounds like he may well have known what he was doing!

I used to have insomnia but ever since Oliver came to join us I have slept
very well. I attribute it to the fact that every night he snuggles in
the crook of my arm and purrs. I keep telling my husband that Oliver's
purrs must be on the same frequency as my brain waves and it puts me to
sleep.

That is so neat....so not only is he a loving companion, but a healer as
well.

I'll have to add "doc" to his growing list of nicknames!

Sound like it!

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Old August 13th 03, 03:29 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Margaret Fine wrote:
I hope you're feeling better today!

Thanks for the advise, I'll give it a shot. My attacks usually last a couple
of days or so. This one started on Sunday, so I'm all better now. Until the
next one.
I'll also try the acupuncture points in the arm. The ones I knew are in the
forehead, between the eyebrows and only work on mild headaches.