Purrs needed yet again please! Mama Zoo

Old June 12th 04, 01:41 AM
JoJo

Default Purrs needed yet again please! Mama Zoo

This time it's one of my own that needs purrs, not a foster. Mama Zoo, one
of my original fosters that is now a forever, started getting sick Monday.
Coughing and vomitting. I didn't think anything of it at first, thought
maybe trying to get up hairball so gave her some laxatone. Tuesday symptoms
continue so off to the vet we go. Temp was normal, no tender belly, no real
signs of being sick, he's thinking hairball as well. Continue w/laxatone,
if stops eating then call.

Of course this is my life, so nothing is ever as simple as a hairball. I
never really see the cat eat, but she's gotten a little porky in the past 5
months, so obviously she's eating. I'm not sure if she's eating or not, so
I gave her three pounce treats. They came up within a few minutes along
w/stomach bile. Hmmm...something's up here. Won't even take the laxatone.

Thursday we make yet another vet visit as I am positive she is not eating,
plus she was hiding under dad's bed. She does not normally do that. Vet
does bloodwork, again another exam - no abnormalities, no fever, looks and
appears healthy. Suspect FIP.

She called me today w/results as they were. Ran two different titers -
1:400 and 1:1600, both showed positive. All that means is she has been
exposed to the corona virus, FIP is a mutation of a corona virus. No way to
really test for FIP. Sometimes shows high globulin count, her's was 4.8,
normal is 2.3-5.3, so she's high end. White blood cell count normal, all
other body functions (liver, kidney, etc) normal as well. So maybe it's
FIP, maybe its not. FIP is fatal - no cure, no treatment, nothing. So if
she does have FIP in her system the vet says she will go downhill in days or
weeks.

So now I am to force feed her three times a day, and monitor her temp twice
a day. Ok, one temp today was normal. I have force fed her twice, she's
kept it down so far. I have her stuck in a crate by herself, it's easy
keeping her in but hard keeping others out!

My others may or may not have FIP, who knows. Can't tell for sure. Younger
ones are more likely to have it (age 18 months and under). Transmitted thru
feces. I could have them tested, but all taht would show is they were
exposed, not that the virus mutated itself into FIP. Mama Z is maybe 2,
we're not sure as she's a stray. I have
four kittens that fall under the 18 month age.

I'm worried as hell. Going to try to start VitC therapy on them in hopes it
will help. I've got two fosters here, going to keep them, they've been
exposed already. After this I'm going to hold off on a while until I know
if we've got it for sure or not. I'll re-evaluate foster situation in 6
months. Right now I gotta see if Mama Z will make it or not. She looks
fine, in fact was doing normal cat grooming. She's lazy, so never ran
around much. I'm hoping she'll start eating and that it's just a "bug".

So could you please send some purrs my way. I'm afraid I'm going to lose my
babies to this awful disease. (I'm trying to think positive thoughts, but
lean towards negative to prepare for the worst....my way of coping).

First Ty, then Z. Foster Sam. No more please God.

Thanks for the purrs, I'll keep you updated as things move along, I'm
praying for the good.

And did I mention I need physical therapy on my neck/shoulders PLUS I have a
UTI?!?! Ummm....can I PLEASE catch a break sometime here? Babies come
first - the UTI will clear up, the neck/shoulder ongoing issue, just muscle
spasms/tightness - stress (huh?).

Please focus purrs on my babies, they need them more than me!
--
JoJo
http://home.comcast.net/~zookeepr/Index.htm

Old June 12th 04, 02:15 AM
Susan M

Purrs to you and Mama Zoo.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old June 12th 04, 02:15 AM
Susan M

Purrs to you and Mama Zoo.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old June 12th 04, 02:15 AM
Susan M

Purrs to you and Mama Zoo.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old June 12th 04, 03:40 AM
Steve Touchstone

Sending purrs that it IS just a bug that she'll get over. Also, hugs
and purrs coming for you to get yourself well, and not to worry too
much.

--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Old June 12th 04, 03:53 AM
Annie Wxill

"JoJo" wrote in message

.... So could you please send some purrs my way. I'm afraid I'm going to
lose my
babies to this awful disease. (I'm trying to think positive thoughts, but
lean towards negative to prepare for the worst....my way of coping).

.... --
JoJo
http://home.comcast.net/~zookeepr/Index.htm

We're sending purrs, prayers and hugs your way in hopes that everything will
turn out O.K. You certainly deserve a break.
Annie