Rabies Vaccine Mandatory in NJ?- Updated listing

Old June 8th 04, 11:38 PM

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 06:25:07 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Sherry " wrote in message
Thanks for providing this information. I think I can update one aspect

of
it. I live in Texas, and (according to my vet) Texas law now calls for
triennial rabies vaccinations. That changed from a requirement for

annual
vaccinations within the last couple of years.

That's what I've never understood. The rabies vaccine is supposed to be a
3-year vaccine, yet the law requires annual vaccinations. Rabies is a

dreadful
disease, I agree, and we went through rabies shots back when it was a

21-shot
series. But still, it seems like overkill to keep vaccinating yearly with

that
stuff.

Sherry

As I mentioned in my previous post, Texas law required annual vaccinations
until recently, despite the fact that the vaccine was certified for 3-year
use. I asked my vet about that several years ago. It was his *opinion* at
that time that the state was acting on an overabundance of caution. He
speculated that it might have been due to a couple of things: (1) Texas has
more cases of rabies than many states, especially in certain areas; (2) fear
that people would be more likely to forget to keep vaccinations up-to-date
if the 3-year protocol were accepted. Fortunately, as I said, that
requirement was finally changed.

MaryL

It is still left up to the local government as to using the three year
vaccine or not.
From TDH
http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/zoonosis/...rabiesvacc.asp

It depends on the local government.

Old June 9th 04, 03:28 AM
MaryL

-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Sherry " wrote in message
[...]

From TDH
http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/zoonosis/...rabiesvacc.asp

It depends on the local government.

Thanks. I didn't realize it was local option. Fortunately, we are now
using the 3-year protocol in my community.

MaryL

Old June 9th 04, 04:35 AM

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 21:28:47 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

.. .
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Sherry " wrote in message
[...]

From TDH
http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/zoonosis/...rabiesvacc.asp

It depends on the local government.

Thanks. I didn't realize it was local option. Fortunately, we are now
using the 3-year protocol in my community.

MaryL

You are welcome. I'll ask my vet on Saturday about a three year
vaccine when my "Middle Child" get his annual.