OT Calif. City Bans Smoking in Public Places

Old March 20th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT Calif. City Bans Smoking in Public Places

"Marina" wrote in message

In Finland, smoking is banned in public buildings, public transport and
workplaces. Bars and restaurants have to have smoking and non-smoking
areas, and there are pretty detailed rules on how to arrange the
non-smoking area so that it is truly smoke-free. Parliament is preparing a
complete ban on smoking in bars and restaurants.

Sounds like North Carolina, except they aren't as careful about the
placement of smoking/non-smoking areas. In one of my favorite restaurants,
you have to walk through the smoking area to get to the bathrooms. I hold
my breath as long as I can and walk as fast as I can get away with without
running.

Pam S.

Old March 20th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

If that's true, we've all already rolled the dice. We just won't know
what numbers we got until later in life.

I can't imagine a ban on all smoking being even remotely enforcable.
I mean, *no one* smokes pot anymore, right?

Personally, I think we should legalize pot, then tax the sh*t out of it.
Then it wouldn't be as profitable to grow and it would have some benefit.
Pam S. who knows several people who smoke it for pain and/or glaucoma
control.

Pam S.

Old March 20th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-20, Pamela Shirk penned:

Sounds like North Carolina, except they aren't as careful about the
placement of smoking/non-smoking areas. In one of my favorite
restaurants, you have to walk through the smoking area to get to the
bathrooms. I hold my breath as long as I can and walk as fast as I
can get away with without running.

I went to a King's BBQ in coastal NC. The smoking section was right
next to the buffet, with non smoking around the sides. YUCK!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 21st 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I never understood why they had smoking and non smoking sections there
was no solid divider so people got smoked out when all there was was a
counter with some plants down the middle maybe a foot wide you sat next to
it you got smoke from the next table

When ever we went out we always had reservations. If we had no
reservations I always told the hostess if you sit us next to the smoking
section you are going to pay for the meal. Never had to sit by the smoking
section

Old March 21st 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-20, Pamela Shirk penned:

Personally, I think we should legalize pot, then tax the sh*t out of
it. Then it wouldn't be as profitable to grow and it would have
some benefit. Pam S. who knows several people who smoke it for pain
and/or glaucoma control.

That's much how I feel about it.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 21st 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Fat Freddy wrote:

"Those who smoke out of doors are hurting only themselves, and so far,
that's still their right."

Then why do not heroin, cocaine, or meth addicts have that same right?

Perhaps because their "drug of choice" impairs judgement? Aside from the
issue of "second-hand" smoke, tobbacco doesn't cause the user to put the
lives of others at risk! (On the other hand, "driving under the
influence.....")

The drugs could be made legal but driving under their influence kept
illegal - like alcohol. Also, to stretch a point, drivers who are
distracted by fishing out and lighting up a cigarette could (and do) cause
accidents.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 21st 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-20, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) penned:

Fat Freddy wrote:

"Those who smoke out of doors are hurting only themselves, and so
far, that's still their right."

Then why do not heroin, cocaine, or meth addicts have that same
right?

Perhaps because their "drug of choice" impairs judgement?

Maybe we should make at least 8 hours of sleep mandatory, too!

(a girl can dream ...)

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 21st 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Fat Freddy wrote:

Then why do not heroin, cocaine, or meth addicts have that same right?
Tobacco users should be subject to the same regulations and controls as
users of other deadly addictive drugs.

Smokers usually don't resort to violent crime to maintain their habit.
Their lives don't usually fall apart just from using it, although, as
with other drugs, the long-term effects can be just as devastating. You
don't see as many people suffering long-term effects from, say, meth
or heroin, though, because they tend to die sooner.

I was also going to say that cigarettes don't involve organized crime
the way illegal drugs do, but I'm not so sure tobacco companies *aren't*
organized crime.

All the same, I think the justified concern over second-hand smoke has
unfortunately been conflated with our tendency to go on puritannical
witch-hunts, to the point where it has reached a certain hysteria. I
certainly don't want to go back to breathing smoke everywhere I go, but
jeez, why can't someone enjoy their cigarette if nobody is *forced* to
breathe it?

Joyce
Old March 21st 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pamela Shirk wrote:

Personally, I think we should legalize pot, then tax the sh*t out of it.
Then it wouldn't be as profitable to grow and it would have some benefit.

I like this idea! And then use the revenue to fund cancer, AIDS,
fibromyalgia, etc, research.

Joyce
Old March 21st 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Legal or not I would never hire an employee that used it. All our employees
get a up front drug test ( blood, not urine ) and random drug test you fail
unless there is a reason you failed Good Bye!! All I need is a stock
person running a lift to drop the merchandise on a customer because he or
she was stoned

Now the part about smoking. It is not allowed of course inside the store or
within 60 feet of the entrance due to the Florida laws. Security will ask
you to put it out or to leave if you hang out in front smoking. No
employee may smoke on property while in work uniform ( on or off the clock)
or if you are on the work schedule. Before we changed the policy luckily
Florida made it easy for with the state laws coming into effect. Smoker
used to take smoke breaks while outside without clocking out Non smoking
employees complained why can he or she take 5 minutes to take a puff and I
can't take 5 minutes to grab a soda. I also never thought it was a good
image of employees hanging out smoking while in company uniform.
Our insurance company test you for nicotine if you are a smoker they
will not give you health benefits. I understand smokers being a ex smoker
of 7 years; one of the best things I ever did. But there is something about
being out and some body is chain smoking outside a business and you end up
reeking of cigarette smoke. If common courtesy was done by everyone I could
see not banning it but since the world is the way it is. It is coming down
to where you are going to only be able to be bad in your own home and than
your spouse will be able to divorce you or your kids will be able to sue you
since you are a smoker