OT - I'm *REALLY* Angry Now

Old February 4th 10, 02:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

Default OT - I'm *REALLY* Angry Now

Yowie wrote:

Like Hop, whilst I am right handed for writing and mousing, I
am left
handed for undoing jars and winding handles...

I think you'll find that most people are left-handed for opening
jars with screw-top lids. Next time you open a jar, think about
what you are doing. If you are right-handed, it's usually the
left hand that rotates the jar clockwise, while the right hand
holds the lid static. This is the most efficient method, as more
torque is developed by moving the object with the greater size.

--
MatSav

Old February 4th 10, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Yowie" wrote in message
Like Hop, whilst I am right handed for writing and mousing, I am
left handed for undoing jars and winding handles. And just to be
stubborn, i have also taught myself to mouse and write with my left
hand 'just in case'. I'm not quite as quick or delicate with the
left hand as the right when writing or mousing, but I am sure all I
would need to do would be to practice more.

The one thing I can't do with my left hand is use TP properly. Go
figure.

Yowie

I had carpal tunnel surgery on my hands, one at a time. Surprising
the things you can learn to do with either hand when you have to. My
proudest achievement though was learning to crack and open eggs one
handed, with either hand. Mom and grandma always did it that way but
I'd never had to learn.

Jo

Old February 4th 10, 06:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_3_]

4.2.2010 4:37, Yowie kirjoitti:
In ,
typed:

I should be ashamed (I think) to admit it but I can do "mirror-
writing".
Does this reflect something scary? I have found no way to make
money from it.

Why be ashamed? I thought everyone could do it?

Yowie
(loving the thread drift)

I haven't tried it, but I read upside down quite fluently...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old February 4th 10, 06:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

Like Hop, whilst I am right handed for writing and mousing, I am left handed
for undoing jars and winding handles. And just to be stubborn, i have also
taught myself to mouse and write with my left hand 'just in case'. I'm not
quite as quick or delicate with the left hand as the right when writing or
mousing, but I am sure all I would need to do would be to practice more.

I (lefty) learned to do a bunch of stuff right-handed, but I don't
consider myself to be ambidexterous. Whenever I encounter anything
new, I automatically use my left hand. That said, for some reason,
I learned to dial a dial phone with my right hand. But I use my left
for touch-tone dialing. I usually mouse with my right, but could use
the left well enough. But I can't use scissors with my left hand at
all!

Significantly, I learned to play the guitar right-handed. I was given
the choice to get the guitar restrung so it would be a lefty guitar,
but I thought that would be some long process that I'd have to wait
weeks for, and I wanted to get started immediately, so I said no. That
turned out to be for the best - when I think of all the times I've used
other people's guitars, none of that would've been possible if I'd learned
to play left-handed. Then again, I might have been a better player!

For the two main functions, eating and writing, I can only use my left
hand, pretty much. I'd hate to be someone trying to read a note I'd
written with my right. And I'd hate to see what the front of my shirt
looked like if I ate with my right!

The one thing I can't do with my left hand is use TP properly. Go figure.

OMG! I could never do that right-handed!!

Joyce - sinister and gauche

--
I will not sniff at my male human's feet after he takes his shoes off,
freeze my mouth open in disgust and then sniff my private parts to compare
Old February 4th 10, 06:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

Yowie
(loving the thread drift)

I know! And the "Census" thread has turned into a conversation about
the nature of the Divine, and whether it is a pachyderm.

Joyce

Old February 4th 10, 06:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MatSav wrote:

I think you'll find that most people are left-handed for opening
jars with screw-top lids. Next time you open a jar, think about
what you are doing. If you are right-handed, it's usually the
left hand that rotates the jar clockwise, while the right hand
holds the lid static. This is the most efficient method, as more
torque is developed by moving the object with the greater size.

You know, I've always wondered about this. I find that the amount
of force I can generate is highest when I'm turning my hand away from
the middle (in other words, left hand counter-clockwise and right
hand clockwise). I've always assumed that this was due to the muscular
structure of the wrist and hand. I have a lot less strength when
turning something inward.

Since it's harder to screw *in* a screw than to unscrew it, I find
myself using my right hand, especially when putting a new screw into
a wall or wherever. It's too bad, because my left hand has more
strength overall, but turning my hand in the outward direction has
more force. I guess that's why screws are threaded in the "loosey-lefty,
righty-tighty" direction. Right-handed people get the best advantage,
getting to use their dominant hand as they turn that hand outward for
the most difficult task.

This really doesn't explain why jars and lids are threaded the way
they are, because the opposite is true. The threading direction favors
the left hand for opening a jar, and the right for closing. But opening
is the more difficult task. (Well, I think it is.) Hmm. Maybe this is
why I'm better than many people at opening jars?

Joyce

Old February 4th 10, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jofirey wrote:

I had carpal tunnel surgery on my hands, one at a time. Surprising
the things you can learn to do with either hand when you have to. My
proudest achievement though was learning to crack and open eggs one
handed, with either hand. Mom and grandma always did it that way but
I'd never had to learn.

snort I can barely do it with both hands!

Joyce

Old February 4th 10, 08:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christine BA" wrote in message
4.2.2010 4:37, Yowie kirjoitti:
In
,
typed:

I should be ashamed (I think) to admit it but I can do "mirror-
writing".
Does this reflect something scary? I have found no way to make
money from it.

Why be ashamed? I thought everyone could do it?

Yowie
(loving the thread drift)

I haven't tried it, but I read upside down quite fluently...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

So do I, although I find it a little slower than right-side up.

Joy

Old February 4th 10, 11:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

Being ambidextrous does NOT mean you are smart.

Nor does it mean your teachers were. *I remember the teacher forcing all
of us to use the right hand in writing class. *My DIL is left handed and
she insisted that her first born was left handed too. *When he wanted to
eat with his right hand she would put the spoon in his left hand. *He is
now ambidextrous. * MLB- Hide quoted text -

One of my nieces is left-handed, but I suspect it's mostly because she
had a 'baby stroke' and it affected her right side a lot (The stroke
was a result of being a 'micro-preemie' - just over one pound). She's
quite proficient with her left hand, though, and when she
concentrates, rather good with the right, too. It's getting both of
them to work together that she has the biggest problems.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita (a right-pawed cat)
Old February 4th 10, 01:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
moonglow minnow[_2_]

hopitus wrote:

There is noway I can argue with this perfect logic. But what about us
small group the ambidextrous? Are we therefore half-wacko?
Have discovered, over time, both hands have their advantages.
Left slightly stronger (stuck jar lid opening). Right better for fine
work
(light sewing (mending rips, sewing buttons back on).
You have made a Nobel-prizewinning discovery.

Most of us (people) are actually better at fine coordination with one
hand and gross coordination with the other. Many are taught out of it,
but there is a reason why a lot of athletes play leftie but are right
handed when it comes to writing.

minnow ^..^ supervised by Itachi, Mayhem, Mischief, and Minerva
--
http://twitter.com/taheenahana
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minnow/